Rear Suspension Noise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear Suspension Noise within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Since About 3000 miles (I'm at 20k miles now), I've noticed a strange "knocking" in the rear suspension. I took ...

Rear Suspension Noise

Since About 3000 miles (I'm at 20k miles now), I've noticed a strange "knocking" in the rear suspension.

I took it in to Subaru shortly after it started, and they couldn't find anything.

I took my back seat out, thinking the top strut mounts might be loose... they're not.

Its like the bushings are "sticking"... but they all seem ok, and none are rotted or anything.

I drove the car all winter...

The degree of noise varies... its mostly bad the morning after it sat through a rain storm... but it is consistantly there.

All along it has been on the drivers side, but now it is starting on the passenger side as well.

I've had the Subaru dealership check it out three seperate times, and each time they can't find anything wrong and just tell me that its the extra noise the polyurethane makes, but this is NOT normal extra suspension noise - I know what that sounds like.

I can make the car make the noise by pushing down on the back of it.

honestly, the only time Ive ever heard the noise in any other car was when the top strut mount was broken, and mine isn't.

I've emptied my back seat and trunk, just to eliminate the whole "stuff flying around" error.

the car doesn't handle any differently, but when it settles after stopping, you can "feel" the noise, like its binding or something.

Anyone else experiencing/experienced this? Any ideas on what it might be? Is it time to start re-lubing everything? I know polyurethane takes extra maintenance and a different kind of lube, but I thought that was just because of a squeeking problem, not thumping.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like a blown strut

i had a civic that done this

I also noticed this soon after I got the car and I remember seeing a post about it a while back saying that it was just "the way the STi is."

I notice it the most after coming to a stop when the rear suspension is under no load and then as you get to the point when the butt of the car sits down after stopping, you can hear the suspension making noise. I don't really know what you would call this issue, but it doesn't really seem like a serious problem. The suspension works fine, little noisy, but that alright by me.
    Never stop learning.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...

The Subaru Dealership basically said "its a race car, deal with it" ...

Its just hard for me to NOT think that something is broken, making the noise it is. I will just ignore it now... I guess verification from a bunch of different places is good enough for me
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi

it's a constant noise? i had a knocking coming from my rear end and one of the bolts on the camber was loose from when the alignment was adjusted...

does it happen only when rolling? i could get the noise to happen turning the wheel while not moving.. didn't try pushing down on the trunk. if your coming to a slow stop and it sounds like it is 'binding' sounds like it might be drivetrain/brake related, especially if it is constant. that does not explain why it makes the sounds when you push down on it though...

I will go back and let them know that people have had problems with the Struts. The only reason they keep telling me its nothing is because whenever I bring it in it doesnt make the noise

... and when it IS making the noise, I can't bring it in immediately because I leave for work before they open and get home 3 hours after they close
    Last edited by skyphix; 06-06-2004 at 02:14 PM.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi

Yeah, its happening all the time now. I just need to figure out how to get up early enough to get over there before work.

From reading pages and pages and pages on nasioc, it looks like its common on STi's, and nearly inevitable because of shock design.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi

I think I may have this noise, anyone care to save me a search on NASIOC and provide some direct links?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/prin...70&perpage=121

Thats the print view trying to view all of the items but its not working... I find it easier to read the print view anyway, plus its what I had at hand here at work.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi

i have the exact same noise, and it is the struts in the rear. sounds like it is coming from the seal on the shock shaft. i am going to take them apart and see if i can grease the area where the noise is.
    04 STi blue, 13.001 105mph 1.73 60ft all stock
    11.8 best et, 118.0 best mph

check the axle nut. my cars making a noise like the wheels are loose. i read this morning it could be the axle. so im going to the dealer to check it out.

OMG both of my problems have been on first page, other is the cruise control.

I've recently (starting at about 6k miles) started hearing a "clunking" sound in the drivers rear of the car. This started out very quietly.

On a recent trip, the sound became much worse, almost a hollow thunk on suspension travel at low speeds. The problem seems to subside when the temperature is hot. After driving on the highway (road trip) and coming in to a small town at night at about 50F, the noise was loud. However, by the time I got to a major Suby Dealership and got an appt to have it looked at, the temp was in the 90s and I'll be damned if I could get it to make the noise for the tech. He put it on the rack and checked everything for tightness but found nothing "wrong". All I know is that if I can feel this clunking sound and it is only going to get worse, then something is definately wrong.

I'll have to print this thread and show the dealership.

My car is bone stock, with just over 10k on it now. Don't really want to hear this getting worse.
    '04 WR Blue STi (Stock for now)
    '95 Purple T/A (Very Not Stock)

i went to the dealer and they didnt even look at my car. my tech just told the guy to order a "shaft" and thats what the service writer told me and to expect a call next week for it to come in. im guessing driveshaft?

I'm getting a noise I think is similar. It used to happen rarely and now it does it often. Rear-passenger side only, even with loose crap out. I guess I should be sure to have it checked out before warranty runs out.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

be sure to check out the link I posted earlier to the nasioc thread concerning the rear suspension noise... it is a good offense to getting SOA to fix it.
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast