Subaru WRX Forum banner

04 STi ECU reflash confirmed (ping fix)

32K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Tony_montana87 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394329

This was posted over on nasioc and I am passing on the info:

I just learned from my regional SOA rep that Subaru of America has just received their updated ECM flash from SoJ for the USDM STi to combat the detonation problem.

Customers will need to leave their car with the dealer while their ECMs are sent to Subaru for reprogramming. There is an expected 4-6 day turnaround time.

As soon as more flash units become available from Subaru, this will be a dealership-level flash service.

Let your dealer know IF you are experiencing detonation (NOT ALL CARS EXHIBIT IT!), and they will help you resolve the issue after testing and verification. If they aren't already up to speed on the issue, have them contact their regional rep for more information.

It may take some time for information to disseminate and to arrange scheduling through your dealer. PLEASE BE PATIENT through this process, this is not a recall so you will have to go through the full dealership testing, work order, and reporting process. There is an order in which this process must happen, please give your local dealerships the benefit of the doubt on this and allow the SOA reporting and resolution (flash) process to work as it should.

Enjoy!

-Jason Porter
Subaru of Gwinnett-Atlanta

See less See more
#6 ·
I got my car back today after doing the reflash. No problems, no more pings, and it still feels like it has the same amount of power. So I definately recommend the fix.

Dan
... That's good to hear Dan, thanks for the update. I am taking my STI next Monday for re-flashing. Even w/ 91 fuel & 104 Octane Booster, I still get knocking :(

#10 ·
i dont understand why there's only pinging on certain STis and not others. is it octane related?
because i run on 94 and have no detonation but there are ot her stis running on 94 too and they detonate.
i'm confused.
can anyone please explain?

#11 ·
Got my car back yesterday, it does feel stronger and no more detonation. Took 5 days (4 nights) to send out the ECU, reflash, and return ECU.

I highly recommend this fix as it is now listed as an official "recall" notice. It is not just a matter of pulling timing. Besides anyone interested in doing the XEDE piggy back ECU will need to get this fix done first as the "bug" in the existing ECU could cause problems.

#12 ·
Yeah, I got my reflash done last week. It took 3 days altogether... NO more major pinging sound....

BUT I still notice a slight pinging when it's hot, AC is blasting, and when I am accelerating hard.... :(

I called my Subby rep and he said that this would be normal under such conditions, and that I should starting using better fuel such as Shell or Chevron.......

Either way, its hardly pings at all... plus I feel that my powerband is still the same. Still hauling azz... :p

#13 ·
I have the pinging problem also, its especially bad 1st thing in the morning. I'm hoping to bring the car in for re-flash tomorrow.
My question is, would that be the same problem that would cause the exhaust to stink? When I take the car up to 100mph or so I can smell what smells like the catalytic converter.
Its gonna be hard to let the car for for 4-6 days
the re-flash won't cost me anything right?

#15 ·
well I went to the dealership today and they said they hadn't heard anything about sti's pinging. I asked if they would send my ecu for a flash and they said no its considered a mod and wouldn't do it. The only thing I can do is leave the car there for them to check it out but they probably wouldn't do anything because they were acting like pinging is normal. What should I do now? thats the only subaru dealership in the state. I tried to tell him how many other sti owners had the exact same problem and the flash took care of it and he acted like he didn't want to hear it, not to mention one of the guys was almost laughing when I went there. I wanted to sock him right in the face
is there some kind of documentation or something I can print up to bring to these guys?

#16 ·
Nitro700 said:
well I went to the dealership today and they said they hadn't heard anything about sti's pinging. I asked if they would send my ecu for a flash and they said no its considered a mod and wouldn't do it. The only thing I can do is leave the car there for them to check it out but they probably wouldn't do anything because they were acting like pinging is normal. What should I do now? thats the only subaru dealership in the state. I tried to tell him how many other sti owners had the exact same problem and the flash took care of it and he acted like he didn't want to hear it, not to mention one of the guys was almost laughing when I went there. I wanted to sock him right in the face
is there some kind of documentation or something I can print up to bring to these guys?

get in contact with the regional SoA rep for confirmation. then make him aware of the jack@sses at your dealership

#18 ·
Took my car to the dealership twice now with the same result, Said that they couldn't replicate the problem and the second time refered me to a section in the owners manual (7-14) I quote"The engine may, on rare occasions, knock when the vehicle rapidly accelerates or rapidly pulls away from a standstill. This phenomenon is not an indication of a problem in your vehicle." I'm at a loss at this point. This particular service manager has bent over backwards for me with other cars that I didn't even purchase through them and gives no indication that he is BSing me about the fact that he gets no info on this Topic from SOA. What am I to do if the owners manual says it is "normal" ? :confused: Thanks for the help.

mCA

#20 ·
complexx said:
Hi, I just bought a new STI today however I haven't taken delivery, would I have to worry about this problem? Or should I consider it to be taken care of. The car is brand new, probably under 20 miles.
I just picked up my STi today w/ 20 miles on it. I've put about 100 miles on it today (YIKES!!! It was one fun drive!!!) and knock on wood, no problems yet...

:)

#24 ·
from what i'm hearing...

just keep it under 4000rpm's for the first 1000 miles. And do your normal driving, just try not to keep it same constantly. change speeds and such..... Many people are changing the oil after the first 1k miles.

anyway... congrats on the new vehicle! What color did you get, and how you liking it so far?

#25 ·
wrx2104 said:
from what i'm hearing...

just keep it under 4000rpm's for the first 1000 miles. And do your normal driving, just try not to keep it same constantly. change speeds and such..... Many people are changing the oil after the first 1k miles.

anyway... congrats on the new vehicle! What color did you get, and how you liking it so far?
I love it very much. I got the blk one with the perls.

So does every Sti needs to be remapped?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.