04 STi ECU reflash confirmed (ping fix) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 STi ECU reflash confirmed (ping fix) within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wouldn't worry about it at all. Besides, the STi got 2004 car of the year award from Road & ...

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Besides, the STi got 2004 car of the year award from Road & Track (beating out a Porsche GT3, BMW, RX8, 350Z, etc.) and numerous other best in class awards from just about every magazine I've read.

For $32K it is a THE bargain of the century. If you're looking for a soft comfy ride, look elsewhere -- this is NO luxury performance sedan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just picked up 05 STi is the ECU reflashed on the 05's? Or is this something u have to worry about if u own an 04?

Originally posted by ObiWang
    Just picked up 05 STi is the ECU reflashed on the 05's? Or is this something u have to worry about if u own an 04?
    I would like to know also.

my mistake
    Last edited by complexx; 08-07-2004 at 10:15 AM.
    Never stop learning.

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS THREAD.

It is a real problem with early 2004 STis. My 03/03 build was so early that Subaru didn't have the fix last year. I am just going into the dealer Monday to get the refresh. The pinging problem is temperature dependent. I may not be able to demonstrate it as it will be cool Monday. Delete this link and I will be screwed!
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Last edited by complexx; 08-07-2004 at 10:16 AM.
    Never stop learning.

Anyone know if this is fixed for 05? I would assume that it is..?
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

I will being getting a 05 Sti soon would like to know if there is a problem with detonation on these models too.
    " I'm not drunk just tried from drinking all these beers"

No one seems to know for sure I guess...?

I've had my STi for a whopping 2 weeks now but I've not heard any knocking at all yet. I was running 93 and getting great performance but when I went to 91 I could definately tell the car pulled timing because it got a lot slower but didn't detect any knocking so they must have fixed it.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

is this go for the 05?
    Fadi....
    04' WRX, Stage 4 with fmic R.I.P
    05' WRX STI, 325whp 346wtq @17psi
    MODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss
    Enough of the bloody titties show.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXout
    is this go for the 05?

I don't think you will see this issue on the 05 because they remapped the ecu's in 04 so that only those first units suffered. Ironically, I just had mine done earlier this week. I bought my car in June 04 and thought I had escaped this issue until recently when I took the car in for a service the tech said he could feel it pinging at higher rpm's so he recommended the flash. It was just in Mon and I got it back yesterday. Anyway, the flash was only required for cars like mine (initial Sti's) as they fixed this issue on the later ecu's from what I understand of it. You shouldn't have this issue with an 05 IMO.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

The reflash covers earlier 04 STI models. The pinging that is described usually happens when the vehicle is warm and between 3500-4500 RPM. To answer the question if this effects 05 STI models the answer is no, it only applies to early 04 models. SOA has already brought this issue to the attention of the dealers and will be handled on a case by case matter. There is no need for major concern with this issue, it was just an early problem with the ECM programming and since has been taken care of. And just to clarify this is not a recall, SOA came out with this notification/remedy from complaints on this matter.

How do you know if the car has detonation/pinging

Just wondering how you would know, if it is something that is really noticeable. I have an 04 sti, just want to make sure I take care of it. Thanks. Kyle

When, if it happens it is real noticeable. The sound of a couple of big ball bearings being shaken in a coffee can.

It takes a combination of heat and engine load to bring out the rattle. This time of year you will not be able to make your '04 ping. On an 80 deg F day find a hill on the freeway and floor it in second, or third. You will know if you have a problem then. 4,000- 5,000 rpm.

I'd tell you to turn the radio off during the test, but 0'4s didn't come with one...
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

FSF
    I hope I get a response, I noticed the last time some one posted in this thread was about a month ago. Ok I have had my 04 STI for about a year and a half. Now with in the last week I have noticed the detonation problem mentioned in the previous threads. Now my question, if I were to purchase the cobb access port would this solve the problem? Thank you.
    By the way the car is bone stock.
    http://www.fsfpaintball.com/ FIVE SIDED FISTAGON

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast