04 STi ECU reflash confirmed (ping fix) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 04 STi ECU reflash confirmed (ping fix) within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Nitro700 well I went to the dealership today and they said they hadn't heard anything about sti's ...

Originally posted by Nitro700
    well I went to the dealership today and they said they hadn't heard anything about sti's pinging. I asked if they would send my ecu for a flash and they said no its considered a mod and wouldn't do it. The only thing I can do is leave the car there for them to check it out but they probably wouldn't do anything because they were acting like pinging is normal. What should I do now? thats the only subaru dealership in the state. I tried to tell him how many other sti owners had the exact same problem and the flash took care of it and he acted like he didn't want to hear it, not to mention one of the guys was almost laughing when I went there. I wanted to sock him right in the face
    is there some kind of documentation or something I can print up to bring to these guys?

get in contact with the regional SoA rep for confirmation. then make him aware of the jack@sses at your dealership

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Vader2k
    ... That's good to hear Dan, thanks for the update. I am taking my STI next Monday for re-flashing. Even w/ 91 fuel & 104 Octane Booster, I still get knocking
    Now that stinks. Ever try it w/o the octane booster? Does it ping then? I've heard mixed reviews about those "boosters"...
    I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

Took my car to the dealership twice now with the same result, Said that they couldn't replicate the problem and the second time refered me to a section in the owners manual (7-14) I quote"The engine may, on rare occasions, knock when the vehicle rapidly accelerates or rapidly pulls away from a standstill. This phenomenon is not an indication of a problem in your vehicle." I'm at a loss at this point. This particular service manager has bent over backwards for me with other cars that I didn't even purchase through them and gives no indication that he is BSing me about the fact that he gets no info on this Topic from SOA. What am I to do if the owners manual says it is "normal" ? Thanks for the help.

mCA

Hi, I just bought a new STI today however I haven't taken delivery, would I have to worry about this problem? Or should I consider it to be taken care of. The car is brand new, probably under 20 miles.
    Never stop learning.

Originally posted by complexx
    Hi, I just bought a new STI today however I haven't taken delivery, would I have to worry about this problem? Or should I consider it to be taken care of. The car is brand new, probably under 20 miles.
    I just picked up my STi today w/ 20 miles on it. I've put about 100 miles on it today (YIKES!!! It was one fun drive!!!) and knock on wood, no problems yet...

I just bought a STi!!!

Love it!!!

good to hear. i was a little put off when i learned of this but i'm glad to hear subaru has engineered a fix. now there's nothing stopping be from buying one

bump

so whats the deal? Is this a standard fix that they are doing on all the vehicles prior to putting them out on the lot now??? I'm in talks with a few dealers trying to set up a deal so i may have an STi soon!!!!

New to this forum. I just got my STi today. I have a few concerns about this recall.

What or how does ping or knock sound like?

I love the car, didn't boost it much, I have been keeping it under 4000 rpm.

How did you guys break-in your Sti?

TIA

from what i'm hearing...

just keep it under 4000rpm's for the first 1000 miles. And do your normal driving, just try not to keep it same constantly. change speeds and such..... Many people are changing the oil after the first 1k miles.

anyway... congrats on the new vehicle! What color did you get, and how you liking it so far?

Originally posted by wrx2104
    from what i'm hearing...

just keep it under 4000rpm's for the first 1000 miles. And do your normal driving, just try not to keep it same constantly. change speeds and such..... Many people are changing the oil after the first 1k miles.

anyway... congrats on the new vehicle! What color did you get, and how you liking it so far?
    I love it very much. I got the blk one with the perls.

So does every Sti needs to be remapped?

Thanks

i was trying to find out too..... if you they are doing it standardly from the dealer now!? But if you don't hear the pinging described on here then you don't have to worry about getting it done.

I am in Washington, I went to the dealer and they pulled up the records and there are no recalls.

Should I believe them? Sorry don't mean anything bad but I just love my car so much I don't want anything to happend to it.

hi guys.
    New to the forum and I picked up a black STi also (maybe the same person?).

I'm curious as to this ping thing too. I don't hear pings but it does idle kind of rough like a Mustang. Is this detonation or is this normal?

I too have a hard time breaking this car in. This is the hardest thing since puberty.

Originally posted by Rocket Man

I'm curious as to this ping thing too. I don't hear pings but it does idle kind of rough like a Mustang. Is this detonation or is this normal?

I too have a hard time breaking this car in. This is the hardest thing since puberty.
    I think the lumpy idle comes from the racier cams, my old car has crowers in it and it sounded like that.

Man I am at 130mi, can't wait til 1000mi

Thanks

Could someone please post more of a reply to what this is all about?

I also am truely concerned, I would like to think that there is no flaw in the STi... for i'm getting rid of the Prelude soon for one

thanks guys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast