How many of YOU Aren't to Crazy about 2004 STI wing? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many of YOU Aren't to Crazy about 2004 STI wing? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I really hate the wing, too bad there is no Wing delete option... Is the silver STi the same as ...

I really hate the wing, too bad there is no Wing delete option...

Is the silver STi the same as the 03 02 silver? or I guess I could get someone with 04 silver to trade....

Also, would it leave holes?

Could we trade trunk's entirely? (trunk lid and wing)
    STi or EVO, which one is right for me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As someone that has been waiting for this car for a long time, as is- I wonder why you all want the car, just to change it. By the time you put a stereo and some options into the STI you could have a nice sedate BMW with no wing for about the same price as the STI. True, not the same power. So if it is the power you want, and the thrill and the chance to live a little on the edge and all the things that drew you to the car in the first place.... then accept the fact that it comes with the wing, mod it, or get another car. SFRinNJ

Well, yes those are pretty much the 3 options available but is'nt the whole point of a forum to exchange ideas, likes/dislikes, etc.?

The way I see it this type of discourse among members may be read by SOA and they may use it to further improve & refine their product.

In fact Car & Driver just got done rating the STI behind the EVO and one of their criticisms was the plastic wing (along with the aluminum hood) tended to flex and get bouncy at speed.

Now SOA may feel stung by this admittingly mild criticism but the word will be passed along to the Subaru mothership. Maybe some action will be taken that results in a better vehicle.

A good example is the BMW M3. It arrived in the US with a similar wing and bodykit, took some hits on the styling and evolved into what is IMHO one of the best looking, most refined yet aggressive looking cars on the road.

If no one says anything then how will Subaru know what to improve on the vehicle?
    2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD
    Options: Short Throw, Turbo Gauge, Premium Sound, Security Upgrade, Auto Dim, Filter kit, Armrest Extension, Bumper Protector, Cargo Net & Tray

Modifications: N/A

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

Originally posted by TexasWRX
    Well, yes those are pretty much the 3 options available but is'nt the whole point of a forum to exchange ideas, likes/dislikes, etc.?

The way I see it this type of discourse among members may be read by SOA and they may use it to further improve & refine their product.

In fact Car & Driver just got done rating the STI behind the EVO and one of their criticisms was the plastic wing (along with the aluminum hood) tended to flex and get bouncy at speed.

Now SOA may feel stung by this admittingly mild criticism but the word will be passed along to the Subaru mothership. Maybe some action will be taken that results in a better vehicle.

A good example is the BMW M3. It arrived in the US with a similar wing and bodykit, took some hits on the styling and evolved into what is IMHO one of the best looking, most refined yet aggressive looking cars on the road.

If no one says anything then how will Subaru know what to improve on the vehicle?
    I totally agree with you on this one, about the spoiler, the M3, and hopes that SOA will respond!

Also, I am really looking at the EVO now, the Vishnu stage 0 kit is out and will be giving some mad HP numbers for 93 octane fuel, even pretty good numbers for 91 octane.
    STi or EVO, which one is right for me?

IMHO the STI is still a better car than the EVO. Why:

- Much nicer interior
    - More power from a well engineered powerplant
    - Designed from the start as an AWD vehicle vs. a FWD that was converted but still has a sideways mounted, top heavy in-line 4-banger
    - Better structure, the Impreza was rated as a "best pick" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Mitsubishi had to add a bunch of structural improvements to the Lancer to handle the EVO power.
    - Less vowels in the name Subaru than Mitsubishi

Overall the WRX/STI impress me as being more complete packages than the Lancer/EVO, IMHO

What I am waiting for is the STI Wagon (either Impreza or Legacy)!
    2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD
    Options: Short Throw, Turbo Gauge, Premium Sound, Security Upgrade, Auto Dim, Filter kit, Armrest Extension, Bumper Protector, Cargo Net & Tray

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

IMHO the STI is still a better car than the EVO. Why:

- Much nicer interior
    - More power from a well engineered powerplant
    - Designed from the start as an AWD vehicle vs. a FWD that was converted but still has a sideways mounted, top heavy in-line 4-banger
    - Better structure, the Impreza was rated as a "best pick" by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The Mitsubishi had to add a bunch of structural improvements to the Lancer to handle the EVO power.
    - Less vowels in the name Subaru than Mitsubishi
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the EVO engine is bulletproof. Been around for ages, and very well respected. Also the EVO wasn't converted from a FWD car, the lancer was a boring conversion from a JDM Evolution. The Evolutions have been AWD for a long tiime. I can't really say structural reinforcement is a bad thing. . Can't argue w/ the last one.

Hmm, are you sure the FWD Lancer did not come first :

Evolution I
    Chassis Code CD9A

Flush with success from its Galant VR-4 and hungry for WRC victory, Mitsubishi determined in 1990 that further success would require a new platform. To that end, Mitsubishi engineers started with VR-4's proven drivetrain and shoehorned it into the lighter, smaller Lancer chassis and the Evolution I was born

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...scc_lancerevo/

Just curious.

Agreed there is nothing wrong with structural improvements but I would prefer the structure be engineered for the task at the outset vs. being modified over the years. Mitsubishi has a history of taking a decade old platform and adding whatever structural reinforcements they see fit. I see this as a Band-Aid solution. The Lancer did crash test very well though.

The Corvette is a good example: the 84-96 vettes were never designed to be convertibles so the engineers had to come up with reinforcements that only did part of the job. The 97-03 chassis was designed from the outset to be a convertible and is one of the strongest platforms around and a much superior car to the one it replaced. I know, I drive a 96 convertible. Even with the Band-Aid Camber Brace I added it still quivers & quakes, but hey, it has 300hp and chicks dig it!

Regarding the engine design, umm I don't do In-Lines, (Poor Primary Balance which is addressed with heavy counter-balancers, sit-up too high which increases the center of gravity which increases the polar moment of inertia which leads to poor transitional response) especially tranversely mounted In-Lines (usually mounted forward of the front axle centerline which increases the weight on the front wheels which leads to understeer. Not a fan of any FWD cars by the way.

For my money Subaru makes a far superior and better engineered driving package than Mitsubishi just as Hondas are better engineered & refined than Suzukis (you knew that was coming right?).

Ride Red!
    2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

If we go back a minute to what started this thread-the dislike of the wing-car and driver really disliked it also. There have been alot of modifications over the years by drivers adding the STI wing to their cars. So what is everyone going to do now. Not buy the car? Take the wing off? You better have something on the back of the car or you are going to really mess up the air flow. I am all for the concept of open conversation and the hope that with it SOA will improve each generation of the car as it did with the WRX. But the dislike of the 'look' of the STI wing is interesting since delivery hasn't even started yet outside of Hawaii. I understand also that it leaves 17 holes when removed-better find a good body guy.SFRinNJ

If we go back a minute to what started this thread-the dislike of the wing-car and driver really disliked it also. There have been alot of modifications over the years by drivers adding the STI wing to their cars. So what is everyone going to do now. Not buy the car? Take the wing off? You better have something on the back of the car or you are going to really mess up the air flow. I am all for the concept of open conversation and the hope that with it SOA will improve each generation of the car as it did with the WRX. But the dislike of the 'look' of the STI wing is interesting since delivery hasn't even started yet outside of Hawaii. I understand also that it leaves 17 holes when removed-better find a good body guy.SFRinNJ
    Yes, we have gotten a bit off the original topic. IMHO (and I am not slamming anyone's taste) I think the both the Hood Scoop & Wing are pretty ugly. I can almost live with the scoop because at least it is functional but the wing brings up a few form vs. function questions:

- Does it in fact provide any downforce or is it on the vehicle because Subaru felt the STI had to look similar to the EVO?
    - Does it increase aerodynamic drag?

On the form side the Impreza sedan looks terrific from the front & side but the back seems to be missing some design character. Subaru attempted to resolve this on the WRX Sedan by offering an optional spoiler which gives the back some much needed presence and looks okay (in my eyes anyway).

I just think the STI wing looks like a last minute add-on; it does not look like it was designed in. Future STI's may have a better looking Aero package. One suggestion would be a deployable wing ala Porsche. Heck, even the New Beetle Turbo comes with that!

Regarding the Hood scoop, while it is functional it reminds me of the 1969 AMC SC/Rambler hood scoop (which can still be purchased through JC Whitney!). This is one design area where the EVO wins hands-down. I also wonder if having such a tall protrusion in the driver's field of view really helps driving matters. Seems like it be hard to see the right front corner of the vehicle.

Regarding purchase I am waiting to see what the future brings.

An STI Wagon would resolve this whole issue!

2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

Agreed! The wing is useless for most "legal" driving situations (not enough airflow to provide any useful downforce.)
    I saw something on TV about a Mustang being built for road racing, they said they had to add the wing for stability at speeds above something like 140mph. I finally understand why the boy racers around town have the B-52 wings!
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

I just noticed that the STI has a GOVERNED top speed of 146mph, the WRX sedan without a wing has a top speed of 142mph. The wing seems pointless from a function point of view.

Reminds me of the old Lamborghini Countach. Naked, it had a top speed approaching 200mph. With the $4500 add-on wing the top speed dropped to the 170 mph range. Money well spent!

Speaking of money, I am starting to think that where the WRX was a great deal at under 25K, the STI is less so . I am thinking one could pick-up a clean pre-owned Z06 for the price of an STI.......................
    2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

Points definitely well taken. And seeing as how you already have one, the Z06 probably does look like a really good option, especially after some of the reviews of the STI. But you know, I've waited for a few years to play with this car and nothing is without some compromise. Here in NJ I kind of like the all wheel drive and slip differential. Of course if it snows 30" like last year the STi won't move an inch and I'll take my Jeep to work, but that's another story. The wing may be a problem I'll have to deal with, seeing as how my general driving speed I assume will be under 140 mph, but I'm not put out enough not to buy the car.SFRinNJ

Here in NJ I kind of like the all wheel drive and slip differential. Of course if it snows 30" like last year the STi won't move an inch and I'll take my Jeep to work, but that's another story.
    Yeah but on the bright side when there isn't 30" of snow on the gound you are in one of the best areas of the country for driving. Beautiful hills & lots of twisty roads!
    2002 Silver Wagon
    5SPD

Other Rides:
    1991 Honda VFR
    1994 Isuzu Trooper
    2007 Subaru Tribeca

It is kind of funny. I saw an STi on the road today and posted about it in my local section. THEN I noticed this thread. I commented on how big the wing was

Not a big fan of it, nor the 2004 models in general. For an everyday car, I love my Subie... but if I was to add a 2nd car as a "Sunday Driver" type of sports car.... let me thi... NO WAIT, I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!! Z06 in a heartbeat! The car is sexy (perhaps because I know it is a Z06) but the side air vents make it look even cooler

They had a segment on C&D TV Sunday Viper SRT-10 vs. Vette Z06 The Z06 lost by 1/10 of a second in the quarter mile.... oh and you save yourself $30,000.

Ideally, have the Subie paid off, buy the Vette...
    and give Mr. Lingenfelter a call

Just my opinions
    " I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell "

A man after my own heart... I hope someday (far in the future when I grow up - I'm only 31 you see) I'll be a mod on a Z06 board with the handle "WRX2Z06".

The STi is one SWEET performing machine with truckloads of potential though. If only they hadn't made it so darned... HOMELY.

It's like Willem Dafoe. GREAT actor, GREAT presence, NOT an attractive man by any stretch of the imagination. However he does not lack for admirers because of his purposeful qualities.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.