My Setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Setup within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What go u guys/gals think ? am i missing something ? 05 STi btw (currently on) Engine : Cobb ap ...

My Setup

What go u guys/gals think ? am i missing something ? 05 STi btw

(currently on)
    Engine :

Cobb ap v2
    Turboxs tbe 4" dp/ hiflow cat/ ti tip
    Aps 525 fmic (black)
    perrin shortram intake
    Blitz FATT
    perrin radiator shroud
    Stock short throw shifter
    stock boost guage
    STI Radiator Cap
    Cusco Heatshield
    Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

Other things :

Perrin lowering Springs
    Hawk hps+ front/rear pads
    goodwrench lines
    mobul brakes fluid
    perrin master cylinder brace
    cusco i/c sprayer kit
    perrin front license plate delete
    (waiting to go on)

Engine :

NGK Iridium One Step Colder Spark Plug
    APS STi (EJ257) Tumbler Valve Delete
    APS STi Turbo Inlet Pipe
    APS short ram
    Aps fuel rails
    samco radiator hoses
    cusco auto i/c water sprayer
    perrin crank pully (not sure if to put this on or not)

Other stuff :

Tein front/rear strut tower bars
    Hotchkis Sport Swaybar Set front/rear
    Kartboy endlinks front/rear
    Cusco catch can
    greddy oil cap

Next set of mods :

Defi : boost/egt/oil pressure/fuel pressure/oil temp and link system
    Aem wideband o2 guage
    new radiator

Then :
    fp green w/ external wastegate
    Tial 44mm external wastegate with up pipe with dump tube
    aps headers (unless some know of a good set of UN-equal length ones(to keep the boxter rumbble))
    SMC Meth
    Some kind of bpv or bov (reccomend me one)
    Some kind of EBC (reccomend me on)

And last but not least a new clutch flywheel combo (thinking ACT) unless u can think of something better

this is gonna be like my dd

am i missing anything ?
    all input welcome
    not trying to get more than 400 to the wheels
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    am i missing anything ?
    Did you lower it and paint the sideskirts?
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

EBC is bad, dont get one, use engine management to control boost. UTEC, or a custom tuned map for the accessport...they have ones for the FP series turbos.

As far as blow off valve. the safest and best one is the APS BPV...BOV's are bad. Their BPV is the best one and has no noise during shifting, its also a hybrid so it does 50/50 recirc, which is the most friendly toward our cars.

ACT clutches combo are very good, their street disc clutch kit is what you should get with the torque you will be developing with that system...I wouldnt go over that though because its designed for 475ft lbs, which should be good enough for your est. torque

And that FP Green is probably gonna maybe put you right at about 400whp....so I dont know if you are over shooting your goal there or not.
    Last edited by whitakerSTi; 02-13-2007 at 05:43 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like you've got all of the bases covered. What will you tune with? Cobb protune since you already have the AP?

I'm assuming the wideband will be used in conjunction with the EBC? This is a pretty safe setup if so. Just be sure your tuner knows how to safely use the EBC with the AP when tuning.

I don't have any specific recomendations on BOV or Bypass valve. Since you are running a front mount, what valve are you currently using?

Switch to Ferodo 2500S pads when those hawks go away. You won't believe the difference.

Also...I didn't see any bushings for your shifter. And with that much torque, you may want to consider strengthening the engine and tranny mounts and getting a pitch mount for the engine.

Lastly, you might want to consider holding off on the clutch replacement until necessary. The stock clutch holds up pretty well.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Did you lower it and paint the sideskirts?
    Other things :

Perrin lowering Springs
    Hawk hps+ front/rear pads
    goodwrench lines
    mobul brakes fluid
    perrin master cylinder brace
    cusco i/c sprayer kit
    perrin front license plate delete

i dont think ill be painting the side skirts
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by whitakerSTi View Post
    EBC is bad, dont get one, use engine management to control boost. UTEC, or a custom tuned map for the accessport...they have ones for the FP series turbos.

As far as blow off valve. the safest and best one is the APS BPV...BOV's are bad. Their BPV is the best one and has no noise during shifting, its also a hybrid so it does 50/50 recirc, which is the most friendly toward our cars.

ACT clutches combo are very good, their street disc clutch kit is what you should get with the torque you will be developing with that system...I wouldnt go over that though because its designed for 475ft lbs, which should be good enough for your est. torque

And that FP Green is probably gonna maybe put you right at about 400whp....so I dont know if you are over shooting your goal there or not.
    I dont think the ebc is gonna hurt stuff @ this point, it might help to smooth the turbo out.. ill have to ask my tuner (Doug @ TopSpeed)

The only bov/bpv aps has right now is the 50/50 one and thats the one im thinking about getting

Would you recommend act over exedy ? i want a clutch thats gonna last long

im shooting for 400whp if i get more hey ill be happy i wanna keep this as a dd thats why im having second thought on doing meth
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Looks like you've got all of the bases covered. What will you tune with? Cobb protune since you already have the AP?

I'm assuming the wideband will be used in conjunction with the EBC? This is a pretty safe setup if so. Just be sure your tuner knows how to safely use the EBC with the AP when tuning.

I don't have any specific recomendations on BOV or Bypass valve. Since you are running a front mount, what valve are you currently using?

Switch to Ferodo 2500S pads when those hawks go away. You won't believe the difference.

Also...I didn't see any bushings for your shifter. And with that much torque, you may want to consider strengthening the engine and tranny mounts and getting a pitch mount for the engine.

Lastly, you might want to consider holding off on the clutch replacement until necessary. The stock clutch holds up pretty well.
    Yea ill be getting an ap protune from Doug from TopSpeed

Yes the wideband will be in conjunction... i wanna make the car safe and not have to worry about it blowing up or anything

Im still using the Stock bpv it bolted right up to the 525

Thanks for the pad recomedation... i will def try thoes

Do u know a good site where i can get better bushing & mounts ? any recomedations on any brand ?

ill hold off on the stock clutch for now i was thinking i should be ok but i dont wanna risk it... plus my dealership told me if i blow the stock clutch b4 28k and/or 36 months they will replace it for free

Thanks for all the input YB and everyone else
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

IMHO, I don't like cobb for serious tuning, but thats me ignore me :P.

But, everyone else is right about everything, but you don't have to worry about blowing things up on pump until about 430+. On meth, 500+ your putting it all in the hands of the tuner...

That smc kit thought is complete garbage, no failsafes. The 3 kits i recommend are the coolingmist stg 1 IN conjunction with the UTEC and possibly an aftermarket failsafe. Any of the aquamist kits, and the Perrin PW-1 (aquamist redbadge).

The stock clutch is rated to 375Ft/lbs. so its iffy but people have seen good results way past that. Im not going to recommend ACT over exedy because I think that the exedy twin disc, a little extreme for your application, drives like stock, it grabs a bit hard at first but it wears in just like stock. Very DD.

Defi gauges, I tend to like the Nexus autometers and theyre cheaper. Thats my Op. though.

Bov, i always just stay away from them...i enjoy the stock one or a Tial 50mm, those i know never have problems.

Headers, big debate, but Ive seen more people lose power with aftermarket as opposed to keeping stock.

FWIW, the AEM sensor does not like race gas, not that youll be using it, but just some food for thought.

www.jscspeed.com has the lowest prices on shifter and tranny and engine mounts. Kartboys work, or cobb, no diff. You can also look at www.gnvmotorsports.com not bad, www.gruppe-s.com, www.fastwrx.com, www.importboostwholesale.com, www.worldonepeformance.com

The I/C water sprayer, i would sell it, you wont need it, but then again you do live in Fl.
    Blobeye Syndicate #17

I Support ClubWRX
    FYI, as far as headers go, if they are tuned for, you will always get an increase in HP..from 10-15hp and about the same in torque. More significantly though, with proper tuning, it moves the curves to the left, giving you more useable mid....always a good thing. There is still some debate regarding EGT's and coated headers, but I've seen some results that conclude this type of setup does lower EGTs (which makes sense if you think about it). This is quite possibly the best benefit of headers. Of course, if you go tuned, you'll loose that lovely boxer sound. Since you aren't twin scroll though, there really isn't a need to go tuned headers...unequal length would be fine.

Cuztom did hit on a good point though...may want to conside the Tial external. It's double adjustable which is something the recirc lacks and is pretty durable.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I dont think the ebc is gonna hurt stuff @ this point, it might help to smooth the turbo out.. ill have to ask my tuner (Doug @ TopSpeed)

The only bov/bpv aps has right now is the 50/50 one and thats the one im thinking about getting

Would you recommend act over exedy ? i want a clutch thats gonna last long

im shooting for 400whp if i get more hey ill be happy i wanna keep this as a dd thats why im having second thought on doing meth
    do a seach noob
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    do a seach noob
    wtf r u talkin about ?
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

wtf r u talkin about ?
    idk im just messin with ya, nice setup
    CGM

Quote Originally Posted by PJO42387 View Post
    idk im just messin with ya, nice setup
    thanks man
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Go rotated or go home (

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Go rotated or go home (
    i guess ill be going home then
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast