Best Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Best Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, the winter is approaching in a couple months here in Chicago and you know what that means...Snow! So I ...

Best Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires?

Well, the winter is approaching in a couple months here in Chicago and you know what that means...Snow! So I am looking for a nice all-season tire to replace my stock Potenzas. I know that I won't be able to find an all-season tire that will perform the way the stock Potenzas do but I want something that will grip awesome in the summer and that will perform pretty good in the snow (I want to be able to actually stop in the snow). I've heard some things about these tires:
    Potenza RE960AS Pole Position
    Continental ContiExtreme Contact
    Dunlop SP Sport 5000
    Falken Ziex ZE-512
    Toyo Proxe 4
    I was wondering if anyone had any experiences or other suggestions. If anyone uses all-season tires what do you use? And yes I have been on TireRack.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i got the continentals on my car, so far they have faired real good in like 6 inches of rain haha. Once it gets colder ill be putting them thru the tests in the snow. I will warn you that the side walls is sooooooo much weaker than the stockers it handles differently. The performance loss in my opinion is horrible with these tires
    05 silver sti

I have Falken Ziex ZE512's in 225/40/18 and i used to have 225/45/17's.

These are great tires. They provide excellent support on tarmac, dry-like traction in the rain, and great traction in the snow. I actually ran my 17's for a couple months in the winter when it snowed and they were awesome. I only changed to my stockers cus of the rims getting dirty.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

+1 to the above post...I prefer blizzacks in the winter but as for the rest of the seasons....oh my god are the ziex really nice tires for the price.

Despite what tirerack says, I wasn't that happy with the grip of the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S in the snow. In the dry and wet they are pretty good. Probably best that they're not on your list.

Of course nothing is better or more fun than real snow tires on the snow. Nokians FTW.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be torn between the P Zero's or the Conti's.....both get great reviews.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 on Falken ZE-512's, though I have as yet to use them in snow.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    You wont be disappointed, quote me on it! I used them through 2 months of snow here in New England where we measure in feet. I never had an issue. I could drive out of a snowbank, i could drive into a snowbank (gotta love parking in snowed in spots since other people are afraid to get stuck), and i could drive on the highway w/ snow at good speeds (of course you have to drive slow to be safe).

I Support ClubWRX
    We usually only have 1 or 2 snows in a given year, here, and it's usually just a few inches. When it does, though, the industrial park where I work has nice, wide, flat roads to drift around in.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

We usually only have 1 or 2 snows in a given year, here, and it's usually just a few inches. When it does, though, the industrial park where I work has nice, wide, flat roads to drift around in.
    The Ziex will be fine for that. hell you could use the RE92's, I use the RE92's in the winter here so i dont damage my rims.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've seen snow on TV, it's white, isn't it?

For rain and dry and light dirt very rarely, the 512s are very good all-seasons and very well priced. They last over 20K without rotation in my RWD staggered car. They are not summer-style sticky but they are also not meant to be. A good choice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR

For rain and dry and light dirt very rarely, the 512s are very good all-seasons and very well priced. They last over 20K without rotation in my RWD staggered car. They are not summer-style sticky but they are also not meant to be. A good choice.
    Yeah, when I was researching them I found your information about them to be helpful...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Since then I've replaced the rears (225/50/15) with wear in the middle and inner camber wear. The fronts also have camber wear but are still going, and when they wear out I'll probably simply replace those as well, also with new 512s.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    No. It's actually almost perfectly black. It just looks white to people.

Snow is an almost perfect absorber of light and heat (what we call black) in all wavelengths of light other than the small range humans can see. Why, yes I am a dork, thanks for asking.

haha you are man, too bad ill be moving up to denver in like 2 yrs
    05 silver sti

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.