STi Modification Path - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi Modification Path within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I find all of this information very useful. I just wanted to get some input on my plans for when ...

I find all of this information very useful. I just wanted to get some input on my plans for when I get back. What to you think?

--HKS Carbon Tai CBE
    --Gradual DP (probably HXS not sure)
    --I was going to get an up pipe but after reading this sticky you say the 06 sti doesn't need one?
    --Hydra ECU w/ wide band
    --APS FMIC (hopefully)
    --AEM SR Intake
    --Turbosmart EBC
    --Do I need to get an external waste gate?
    --What I also want to know is with these product will I have the ability to cut down/eliminate boost creep?
    --D2 Full coilovers ( I've heard sti's don't need camber adjustments after you lower them but I think that is crap)

Now I have a Turbosmart Duel Port BOV where its a 50/50 air going into the atmoshpere and 50 going back into the engine. Are those bad also? but when I get my FMIC i don't need to worry anyway. And is there any issues after all of these mods I can't go to 20psi? is there a limit to how high I should go until I have to consider rebuilding?

Suggestions are welcome since I have only owned an STi for 6 months and 2 of the months I owned my silver one and everybody saw on here the totalled picks of here and I bought my 06 and quickly deployed. And before that I was a Honda man with my two Integra's

Thanks
    MULE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MULEZSTI View Post
    I find all of this information very useful. I just wanted to get some input on my plans for when I get back. What to you think?

--HKS Carbon Tai CBE
    --Gradual DP (probably HXS not sure)
    --I was going to get an up pipe but after reading this sticky you say the 06 sti doesn't need one?
    --Hydra ECU w/ wide band
    --APS FMIC (hopefully)
    --AEM SR Intake
    --Turbosmart EBC
    --Do I need to get an external waste gate?
    --What I also want to know is with these product will I have the ability to cut down/eliminate boost creep?
    --D2 Full coilovers ( I've heard sti's don't need camber adjustments after you lower them but I think that is crap)

Now I have a Turbosmart Duel Port BOV where its a 50/50 air going into the atmoshpere and 50 going back into the engine. Are those bad also? but when I get my FMIC i don't need to worry anyway. And is there any issues after all of these mods I can't go to 20psi? is there a limit to how high I should go until I have to consider rebuilding?

Suggestions are welcome since I have only owned an STi for 6 months and 2 of the months I owned my silver one and everybody saw on here the totalled picks of here and I bought my 06 and quickly deployed. And before that I was a Honda man with my two Integra's

Thanks
    MULE
    Pretty aggressive plan, and a definite plus as a setup for an upgraded turbo. Fuel injectors and fuel pump is all you will be missing for a nice rotated mount set-up. TBH, what you are listing a quite a bit of overkill for just the stock turbo. A full hydra setup, with FMIC, TBE, and EBS is a worthwhile investment when you can truly use it to it's potential.....as in with an upgraded turbo and the additional air, fuel, and timing manipulations you'll need. My recomendation is that if your going with your listed mods, plan for the turbo, fuel pump, and injectors also to truly reach it's potential. Maybe a GT35r setup...good for upper 300 hp to the wheels, and with a hydra, likely inot the 400s with good tune.

The EWG won't be needed until you go with the upgraded turbo. Again though, you are going to be totally disconnecting the turbo anyway with these mods, so you might as well get a bigger snail.

Last, it's a Hydra man....use it all.....go with meth or water injection too, and maybe a nitrous spool up. Hydra is insane when it comes to capabilities.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Yeah I was prob. going with the 35R I got some friends from JRP in MD and getting a Hydra tune from Phil. But I have just 1700 miles on the car and I didn't want to change it out that fast. So I was looking for 300-350 to the wheels for the moment then with the 35R the 400-450 and I've been told from my guys in MD with the race gas the potential is 550 but I just want a streetable 400 range and that should mess some people up. So I know a lot of people on this site use the Cobb AP and some others, and I haven't heard that many use the Hydra, I mean I know maybe the price but it would be nice to know what people think of it. For this will be my first car with aftermarket tuning. As for the EWG I was boosting my 05 at 17psi and it spiked to 20psi 3 times in a row and had my fuel cut off thingy, so boosting 20 like I want too I don't want to experiment with that again. So thats why I was going to put on the turbosmart WG. And 20 psi should be ok on my stock engine I belive. God I can't wait to get back to get all my new toys. Thanks for all the input.

Mule

So far I am at 303 awhp and 333 awtq with only a > tbe > ecutec > and a pro tune not to bad huh. But this is the plan in about 2 months

> PERRIN GT TURBO KIT ... GT3576R.82AR
    > PE 850 cc INJECTORS
    > CUSTOM COLD AIR INTAKE {specially made for 07 sti's from harman motive}
    > PERRIN FMIC
    > WALBRO FUELPUMP 255
    > NGK IRIDIUM 7 HEAT RANGE
    > DEFI BOOST/EGT/OP/ CONTROL UNIT/ ATI POD
    > GREDDY CATCH CAN
    > PRODRIVE BC
    > HEATWRAP TURBO DOWNPIPE
    > T BOLT SET
    > PERRIN FUEL RAILS
    > KOYO RADIATOR
    > TGV DELETES

AND A WILWOOD BIGBRAKE KIT AND A TWIN PLATE CLUTCH
    any thing else you guys think i should or should'nt do ?
    thanks for the input todays my first day on here !!!
    by the way my 07 has about 21 more whp than my 06 with same mods... ?

Quote Originally Posted by 07blueSTI View Post
    So far I am at 303 awhp and 333 awtq with only a > tbe > ecutec > and a pro tune not to bad huh. But this is the plan in about 2 months

> PERRIN GT TURBO KIT ... GT3576R.82AR
    > PE 850 cc INJECTORS
    > CUSTOM COLD AIR INTAKE {specially made for 07 sti's from harman motive}
    > PERRIN FMIC
    > WALBRO FUELPUMP 255
    > NGK IRIDIUM 7 HEAT RANGE
    > DEFI BOOST/EGT/OP/ CONTROL UNIT/ ATI POD
    > GREDDY CATCH CAN
    > PRODRIVE BC
    > HEATWRAP TURBO DOWNPIPE
    > T BOLT SET
    > PERRIN FUEL RAILS
    > KOYO RADIATOR
    > TGV DELETES

AND A WILWOOD BIGBRAKE KIT AND A TWIN PLATE CLUTCH
    any thing else you guys think i should or should'nt do ?
    thanks for the input todays my first day on here !!!
    by the way my 07 has about 21 more whp than my 06 with same mods... ?

Good numbers...07s have been proven to have some killer modability. plenty of threads over at NASIOC have been proving this, especially on Limiteds (which is why I can't wait!!!!) Add headers in there and you are seeing 320hp to the wheels. The 07 heads have been proven that they were redesigned for more optimal cooling as well as a more adaptive ECU. You might be looking at 400+ with the setup above...

Question though...why do you need to upgrade the brakes? Brembos too small? I would plan a bit of suspension work as well, at least some H-Tech springs and some endlinks/22mm swaybars...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

well as far as the brakes i have 2 friends that lost there brakes both were factory sti brembos even with goodridge lines fulid and race pads so once i have that set up on race gas i should hit about 550 awhp... and i have a cusco front strut tower brace and cobb front and rear swaybars w/ end links im still debating over springs or coilovers i always hear noise in my friends sti with coilovers and those are kw's he said that the tein co's for the sti is a nitemare and never get those thanks for your input man

> GOAL IN LIFE IS 2 BEAT A 2007 Z06 SUPERCHARGED ... STOCK THERE 3.7 0 TO 60

I Support ClubWRX
    Could you define "lost"...as in how your 2 friends lost their stock STi brembo's?

These are extremely stout brakes, and in fact, I've yet to see any aftermarket setup beat them with some good pads, lines, and fluid. My thoughts have always been why dump more money into aftermarket rotors/calipers when the stock STi brakes are likely the best matched setup for the car...not to mention likely more durable due to OEM fitment.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 07blueSTI View Post
    well as far as the brakes i have 2 friends that lost there brakes both were factory sti brembos even with goodridge lines fulid and race pads so once i have that set up on race gas i should hit about 550 awhp... and i have a cusco front strut tower brace and cobb front and rear swaybars w/ end links im still debating over springs or coilovers i always hear noise in my friends sti with coilovers and those are kw's he said that the tein co's for the sti is a nitemare and never get those thanks for your input man

> GOAL IN LIFE IS 2 BEAT A 2007 Z06 SUPERCHARGED ... STOCK THERE 3.7 0 TO 60
    STIs are known to have some loud struts as is...so I imagine lowered it would do the same thing. But the Tein H-techs I mentioned are an inch or less drop and it is only the spring, so it would minimize some cluncking. Its enough to eliminate wheel gap a bit and provide for a little bit of a lower stance. Quite classy IMO...

...and I too would also like to know how you "lose" Brembos... "Its not as if its a set of fcking car keys is it now....!"

(name that movie, you get a prize...or nothing)
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

reading this late, but that is clearly from Snatch

quick question :

I have no mods as of yet, and my mod plans are

CBE - still deciding which one
    DP - ""
    Cobb AP
    Cobb intake (just to hear the turbo )
    Oil Catch Can
    Cobb Stage II suspension
    Cobb Stage I drivetrain

So if my plans are to eventually, FAR in the future, to get a bigger turbo (not that much bigger, my end goal is 400whp), will the AccessPort still be usable? Or are the tuning options it provides insufficient for an upgraded turbo?

Do I even need a bigger turbo to hit 400whp? I have a feeling I will... Reliability is a bigger concern than money for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z View Post

quick question :

DP - ""
    Cobb AP
    Oil Catch Can
    Cobb Stage II suspension
    Cobb Stage I drivetrain

So if my plans are to eventually, FAR in the future, to get a bigger turbo (not that much bigger, my end goal is 400whp), will the AccessPort still be usable? Or are the tuning options it provides insufficient for an upgraded turbo?

Do I even need a bigger turbo to hit 400whp? I have a feeling I will... Reliability is a bigger concern than money for me.
    wrx or wrx STi?
    CGM

sorry, its an 05 STI

quick question :

DP - ""
    Cobb AP
    Oil Catch Can
    Cobb Stage II suspension
    Cobb Stage I drivetrain

yes u need s biggrt turbo.... look @ other sway bars tho cobb is kinda pricey
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Thanks for the reply!

What about the AccessPort's capability as an EM for an upgraded turbo setup?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply!

What about the AccessPort's capability as an EM for an upgraded turbo setup?

Thanks again!
    Accessport can be used actually...it just needs to be protuned specifically for that car and the parts put on. The only thing is...not all Tuners are capable of tuning specifically for the AP cause you have to have the specific software.

I'm in baltimore, not that far from you i'd imagine, are there any in our area that you know of?

oh and how much does a protune cost?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast