STi Modification Path - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi Modification Path within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by flu_subaru Just got a mail from Subaru the other day indicating that changing the intake & exhaust, ...

Intake?

Quote Originally Posted by flu_subaru
    Just got a mail from Subaru the other day indicating that changing the intake & exhaust, you are good for additional 45hp. The best part, it's still under warranty. I priced it out, and it'll run around $850.
    I was thinking about doing the SPT intake, heat shield, and exhuast. Has anyone done this? I noticed at the begining of this tread people mention not to do an intake, would this SPT setup be an exception?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want HP, the first mod should always be the DP. Even on a stock ECU, this will give the most increase in HP for money spent. For the money you are talking about (intake, catback, heat shield) you should be able to swing a DP and Cobb AP, especially if you snag a used AP.

As far as SPT goes, it is good stuff. A bit expensive, but then, the good stuff usually is.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

SPT gear

If I'm not mistaken, any SPT stuff added also will not void the warranty. My dealer told me this. I was thinking of picking up the Cat Back exhaust. I can get 10% off and possibly even at dealer cost. I was just wondering if it'd be worth it then. Any insight?

-Mikie

Banned
    run a tbe catted for lees cop trouble and a k&n drop in and get uteck running i think map 2 it is the best power gains for the money i have tried many diffrent things and talked to other 06 sti owners and this is what i found to be the best

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, any SPT stuff added also will not void the warranty. My dealer told me this. I was thinking of picking up the Cat Back exhaust. I can get 10% off and possibly even at dealer cost. I was just wondering if it'd be worth it then. Any insight?

-Mikie
    The dealer lies: Check out the SPT website: As posted above: (by me)

Read the fine print. There is always a disclaimer on anything that increases power to the engine or will put more torque on the drivetrain or suspension. It usually reads like:

Sold "as is" without any warranty coverage. Intended for off-highway application only. May bring vehicle out of compliance with safety/or emissions standars. Can only be lawfully installed by end user. See dealer for complete details

This is almost a direct quote for the SPT catback system. But hey...if your dealer is willing to put it in writing that any SPT product you put on your car will sttill allow them to honor the entire warrenty....then go for it. My bet is, the dealer will never, ever put something like this in writing.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

so what would someone be looking at, around 2500 for AP and TBE?

I Support ClubWRX
    2500 seems high. A good DP--500-600, catback-500-600, AP--500 (used) - 650. Total max = 1850. If you pick everything up used, you could easily lower that by 600.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Why no on the BOV? Doesn't a BOV increase the life of your turbo? With out effecting Horse Power? Im thing of sticking a HKS BOV in my 06STi.

Quote Originally Posted by CadGod-06sti View Post
    Why no on the BOV? Doesn't a BOV increase the life of your turbo? With out effecting Horse Power? Im thing of sticking a HKS BOV in my 06STi.
    it makes the car run rich between shifts and in the long term messes up the motor... subies have a stock bpv not a bov
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

what a bpv?

Quote Originally Posted by CadGod-06sti View Post
    what a bpv?
    By-Pass-Valve

Essentially it is just a blow-off valve, but it routes the excess compressed air back into the intake flow.

Search the forums for BOV and BPVs...you will find a slew of information of why and why not to get an aftermarket BOV.

-Mike

Post stuck without cobb AP

KK so it looks like i am gona have to wait for cobb to release the AP for the 07's STI, right now it has a 'flat spot' arround 3200 RPMs and it is really anoying in 3rd and second gear. i still have my catless TBE from my 05 wrx. if you guys have any sugestions for EM for the 07 let me know.
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yea get the Cobb ECU, and then the turbo-back. The stock BOV on the Sti by the way sounds very nice as well. You could get the intake for better sound, but performance wise your not going to get much HP intill you get more upgrades on your Sti. Get the Cobb ECU tho! Good luck with your Sti, and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by DrewSti View Post
    Yea get the Cobb ECU, and then the turbo-back. The stock BOV on the Sti by the way sounds very nice as well. You could get the intake for better sound, but performance wise your not going to get much HP intill you get more upgrades on your Sti. Get the Cobb ECU tho! Good luck with your Sti, and welcome!
    but cobb AP is not out for 07's
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Quote Originally Posted by 06blacksti View Post
    I have a stock black 06 STI and I am starting to wonder about mods. I, unfortunately, don't know much about working on cars (although I could talk about them all day) so I probably won't be able to do much of the work myself (not many tools, no garage, and lack of knowledge). But I do have some friends that may be able to hook me up. Anyways, I am wondering if I were to spend ~2k on mods (parts), what would be the first things to do to it? I guess you could think of this as a challenge to you gurus.

I have read a lot of the posts in here but a lot of them are beyond my technical knowledge so they are quite confusing (damn acronyms). I am still not fond of voiding my warranty, so if that can be avoided then awesome. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait 3 years.

So basically, if you all had ~2k to spend on mods for an 06 STI, what would you do to it? (and please, avoid acronyms if possible since I am a technical idiot) I would really like to get rid of some of that turbo lag specifically, but whatever you guys think.
    you come up my way i will be more than happy to help or do.i enjoy doing these things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.