Subaru WRX Forum banner

2005 USDM WRX - JDM EJ207 v5 (swap)

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  zax 
#1 ·
Hi all, second time poster and long time lurker here.

With 207,000+ miles on my drivetrain it's about time for me to refresh. I've decided to go for an engine/trans swap (I have the EJ205 with the 4eat trans atm). I found a JDM EJ207 v5 with JDM 5MT transmission on eBay for $2500 but was hoping to build a stroker engine.. that being said whenever I search "EJ207 stroker" all I find is comparisons between the two different engines.

My question being: Is it possible to use an EJ207 v5 (or any of the EJ207 versions really) for a stroker build? And if so, which 2.5L STi crank should/can I use? Also, I assume the rods and pistons I'd use for an EJ207 stroker build would be the same kind as I would use in an EJ205 stroker build, but clarification on that would be much appreciated.

Another question: I read online (can't remember which forum) that the EJ207 ECU's can't be tuned until v6 or v7, so was wondering how I would go about getting a custom tune? Would it be easier for me to source a standalone ECU for tuning purposes? If not what are my options?

Final question: OBDII as I understand it wasn't standard in JDM Subarus until the 2000's, and most even then will not work in the US for emissions purposes (unfortunately I live in a county that does OBDII test for emissions, so if I source a standalone ECU for tuning would that also allow me to have a functional OBDII port for emissions purposes?

Thanks so much everyone,
-Robbie

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought about just rebuilding the motor I have now but don't want to worry about homing the block and buildin .005" over or anything to that effect. Basically I want a fresh (as new as I can find) block to make this as "simple" a process as possible. Also, reusing my block would still leave me the issue of having a 4EAT auto and I want to do a 5mt or 6mt swap so finding a JDM EJ207 with 5mt for $2500 is perfect for me. The biggest worry I have is the emissions though because as I understand it v5's didn't come with an OBD2 port, not that it would function with USDM emissions testing anyway. That's why I was thinking about running a standalone ECU, but just wanted to make sure that would work before dropping $3k on the start of my build :/

#4 ·
Personally, I would stay away from anything that came from overseas as much of the history of those parts will be unavailable. Importers also tend to be a bit on the shady side.

No reason you couldn't build your block and then purchase a MT, though honestly it would be overall cheaper to just buy a lower mileage STI and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.