TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!!

This is a discussion on TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!! within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello everyone, i'm new to this site and well new to the import scene as well. i have been around ...

TEACH ME YOUR WAYS!!!

hello everyone, i'm new to this site and well new to the import scene as well. i have been around chevy's all my life, i own a 2000 camaro. but i have grown to love the WRX over some year's, seen them at car show's, street race's, etc. they are an amazing car and i'm gonna sell my camaro with out thinking twice about it for a WRX. but since i have been around chevy's i have gained knowledge of the engine's as in v-6 v-8 383 stroker etc. but now that i'm getting into import's (WRX's) i'am lost when i see weird name's of import engine's the only import engine i know of is the 2jz which is a supra engine (i think). so my question is, can someone teach me about import engine's? different size's of WRX engine's etc. i hope you understand what i'm trying to ask here. i'm trying to learn as much about these car's as possible.

p.s. can someone tell me about mileage on a WRX engine? what would be to high of mileage?

P.S.S looking at a 2006 WRX with 64,000 miles for around $11,500. like i said about i'am very new to the import scene, any advice, any knowledge would be amazing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Post a link to the ad and we can look it over for you.

You didn't specify to high of mileage to buy? Or to high of mileage to mod? I wouldn't mod a engine much past 130k. These motors are highly notorious for running past 200k with no problems. About learning about the do a ton of research IMO these cars are a lot more complex than a camaro motor. They are really simple tho once you get to learn about them. I'd recommend doing a lot of research before jumping into a WRX to see if it floats your boat. It's a totally different feel and drive than a camaro I'm sure you'll love it these cars can make a lot of power. Just do LOTS of research that's what I did before I bought my car and months after I got it to so many things you can do to these cars that's what keeps it interesting.

well kinda both on the high mileage part, i know its way to soon for me but i do want to adventually add mods to it. i read that a good starting point is a COBB accessport for my first mod, but im getting ahead of myself. also what are the aftermarket companies to stay away from that make crap for performance parts?

Pretty much anything on ebay godspeed don't buy on ebay. Depending on what car you go with will determine your first mods. The older cars 02-05 I would do a stage 2 consist of a downpipe and a tune. If you get a newer car like 08+ you could do a intake as your first mod. Mainly most people go with stage 2 the most benefit power wise and its super fun to drive a stage 2 car.

dont buy from ebay (check), what about the engine swaps i read about? i know from the chevy stand point i can swap a v-6 to a v-8 and a v-8 would have tons more options for performance mods. is this the same with a boxer engine?

oh and i have my eye on a '06 wrx with a little over 64k miles

Not many engine swaps going on in this wrx world. Most of us just build the current engine with better internal parts, slap on a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, injectors, etc and have it tuned.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    There's advantages to each motor and none are really superior.

Subaru has used the EJ motor for many years and that's what you will find in the WRX. Except for the 2015. The EJ motor, on the WRX, comes in 2.0L or 2.5L with variations between the different markets and year models like different turbos etc. I don't know all the intricate details about each motor and permutation and that would take way too long to explain. You'll have to read up on them. Buy books, read articles. Wikipedia I'm sure has a good outline of everything. It's a lot at first, but I'm sure you didn't learn your Chevy knowledge over night. Just take some time and commit to reading and we'd be glad to answer specific questions.

Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Subaru Impreza (second generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NASIOC Technical - NASIOC

Tech & Modifying & General Repairs