Knocking sound when Im braking?

This is a discussion on Knocking sound when Im braking? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, sorry about this, Im not sure if I am posting this in the right place so if one ...

Knocking sound when Im braking?

Hey guys, sorry about this, Im not sure if I am posting this in the right place so if one of you guys can correct me that'd be great! Im still a nooby!

So when I am braking I sometimes hear and feel a knocking sound that seems like its coming from around the drivers side area. I know thats not very specific but I have no idea what it is. Its not very loud but the feeling it noticeable. Has anybody else experienced this or know what it could be??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Suspension bushing? See if there's any play in the suspension...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

What car?
    If it's not the suspension it may just be the brake pads and shims just shifting. I know I heard this on my car when braking and turning and noticed the shims clips to hold on the pad were broken. Once I replaced the pads and shims never heard it since

^ possible...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Can't hear sounds over text...post a vid so we can hear it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    What car?
    If it's not the suspension it may just be the brake pads and shims just shifting. I know I heard this on my car when braking and turning and noticed the shims clips to hold on the pad were broken. Once I replaced the pads and shims never heard it since
    It is a 2006 wrx tr. It doesn't happen all the time. More so when Im coming to a stop on a downhill. It would make sense if it was a brake and pad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Can't hear sounds over text...post a vid so we can hear it.
    It would be nice if I could capture the sound but its not loud enough to hear through a video..

Ya whenever you get a chance to get the car off the ground just take a look at all your suspension bushings make sure they're not shot and look at the shims. It's going to be one of those most likely

Ok thanks guys, I just bought the car used and the problem probably got missed when I got it checked out. I'll get them checked out again and I might even just replace shims and bushings when I get my new springs.

Feel any vibrations in the steering wheel?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Feel any vibrations in the steering wheel?
    No the steering feels perfect! Its really down by my left foot.