06' STi won't run and just died on me ; ( please help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 06' STi won't run and just died on me ; ( please help within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, so i wake up to take my 2006 STi to get detailed and i figured i'd have some fun ...

06' STi won't run and just died on me ; ( please help

Ok, so i wake up to take my 2006 STi to get detailed and i figured i'd have some fun on the way. Yesterday i checked the oil, added a 1/4 qt, and i was between 1/4 tank and 1/2 and i thought to myself....."I never let the fuel get that low but ill just fill it up tomorrow after the detail job"

So i started the car, let it idle and warm up and started my commute and there is a nice straight stretch so i figured id hammer down since nobody was around, i proceeded to hit 85mph and was shifting rather high, 5k RPM, and once i hit fifth gear it just pretty much shut off on me....

i had power, just no motor, does that make sense? so i coasted to a safe location, pulled off and turned the key to the off position.

I then tried to start the car, which took 20-30 seconds roughly, at this time once it finally fired back up it idled a little rougher than usual and when i would give it a little bit of throttle it owuldnt instantly start cutting out but would still idle.

So i put it in gear and tried to drive it to my maintenance guys house, at this point i put it in gear and tried to drive but as soon as you let off of the clutch and give it anyt throttle it cuts out and misses even more than when it is in neutral.

ANY IDEAS?
    Fuel pump? jumped timing? timing belt? did i blow it up? Water in gas tank????

please any input at all is helpful

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Got a check engine light (aka CEL)?
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

no CEL, sorry forgot to mention that

everything is as its supposed to be gauge/light wise

Did you check your radiator see if there is any oil in the fluid? When you started the car up did you smell of antifreeze? was there any white smoke coming from your exausth?

No smoke and all fluids good

The cruise light flashes occasionally? The boots are good on my TMIC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys I'm desperate. This shop is trying to screw me. TPG tuning, 4 hours away, told me the doubt it jumped time and this shop insists that's what happened. They aren't that knowledgable.

Fuel filter? PLEASE ANY HELP?! I'm desperate here

The shop now says there is no fuel pressure.

Any recommendations on a fuel pump? Pen? Walbro? If I get aftermarket will I have to retune??

Oem is $400

It could be a fuel filter or fuel pump. My dad had a ford Taurus kind of do this one time. He drove 3 hours and when he was almost home he lost all power and it died a couple blocks from home. We just banged on the fuel filter and it would start. That car had a bunch of problems though.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

My guess at this point is fuel filter or pump.

If it's a fuel pump I'm hoping I can buy an aftermarket pump and not have to re tune it because an Oem pump $400 and aftermarket is $150

Buy a wallbro. That's a good brand. I thinks it's like a 255? And if I remember right you shouldn't have to tune because your motor will only take what it needs.
    ~2004 Subaru Wrx - Stage 2
    ~2013 Honda Civic

-I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    -Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second.
    -Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

Okk thank you!

A Walbro would be fine. You won't need a retune just with a pump.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

The fuel filter blew apart? So I'm replacing both pump and filter. Any ideas on what caused this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmccabe91 View Post
    The fuel filter blew apart? So I'm replacing both pump and filter. Any ideas on what caused this?

Probably clogged. Put pressure into anything to where the medium being pumped can't pass through, it's bound to pop.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.