2014 Short Shifter Standard?

This is a discussion on 2014 Short Shifter Standard? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just purchased my 2014 WRB STi hatchback last week and drove it back from NC to Indiana. Hardest part of ...

2014 Short Shifter Standard?

Just purchased my 2014 WRB STi hatchback last week and drove it back from NC to Indiana. Hardest part of the trip was carving through the Smokies under 4K RPM...

I am being told the 6mt short shifter & bushing comes standard with the vehicle. Is this a true statement?

Great site btw... New to Subies and learned all I could here before purchase

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ask because the NC dealership sold me a short shifter kit (linkage and bushing) after purchase and I had an Indiana dealership attempt to install it. The Indiana dealer took the original out and says I already have a short shifter installed though it is not listed on the window sticker (STi knob, wheel locks, cargo tray are the only options). Of course, Indiana is trying to charge me to removed/reinstall the original linkage.

The Indiana dealer says the short shifter linkage comes standard with the vehicle and that the part numbers on the original and replacement linkages are identical. The North Carolina dealer says there is a difference (OEM vs short shifter).

I'm confused...Is there a difference in parts? Did Subaru install a short shifter without listing it? Which dealer is right? I'm not paying until I talk to a Subaru rep next week.

Wondering if any other 14 hatch owners have successfully swapped in a Subaru accessory 6mt short shifter?

The sts is not standard equipment. it won't necessarily show up on the window sticker because its a dealer installed option.

Plus, if the dealer claims it's standard equipment, why would they try to install it in the first place?

I Support ClubWRX
    It does not come standard with the short shifter. I'd just return it and buy the Kartboy kit (short throw shifter and bushings).

All good points. I think both dealers are wrong. The North Carolina Dealer actually traded with a dealer in Knoxville to get me the STi. So, I suspect the Knoxville dealer installed the short shifter and the North Carolina dealer was not informed. So, I got a free short shifter, but will have to pay the Indiana dealer for pulling it out and reinstalling it.

Anyway, I'm not thrilled with the action of the STS, so I will return the second one and may look at a Kartboy down the road...

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the factory 6 speed sts and the kartboy front and rear shifter bushings and love it. The kartboy bushings make a huge difference.