More Power CA STI

This is a discussion on More Power CA STI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, Just need some input and ideas to gain a lot more power for my 06 STI. I live in ...

More Power CA STI

Hello,

Just need some input and ideas to gain a lot more power for my 06 STI. I live in CA where it is hard to pass smog with some of the upgrades that I would like to do. I really want to upgrade my turbo, but was told by a Cobb performance shop that I would not pass smog. Does anyone know if that is true. Currently I have SPT intake and exhaust and a Cobb Access port. I also have been thinking of making the car handle better. What are the best sway bars available and what price is a good price to pay for front and rear sway bars. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You should not pass smog with a different turbo. Whether you do or not is a different story. Luck and the tester's awareness play a role.

Follow the link in my signature for info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That is what I have heard I won't have much chance passing smog. Disappointing that I can't achieve a lot more power.

Currently pass smog because everything I have is CA legal and I even putt the Access port setting back to the stock map

Cali is pretty strict with there Gestapo level inspectors lol. Some less legit places can be paid a sum of cash up front to ensure you pass. As I've seen/smelled some cars that no way in hell could be emissions compliant in Ethiopia, let alone California.

As already stated you probably won't pass with further mods. most inspectors are pretty good at their jobs. So you likely won't pass with a larger turbo. Maaaayyybbbeee a stock location one with a factory heat shield in place but then they will see the aftermarket downpipe attached to it andddd. You'll fail anyways.

My best suggestions.
    Relocate! Find a friendlier state for auto enthusiasts(obviously not the most economical choice)
    Mod further and risk failing smog
    Don't mod further, and pass smog
    Lastly, mod further, Pay some degenerate inspector a little cash, hope you don't get fined and arrested, and pass smog
    That's all I got lol. Good luck
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

I found out this year that the spt intake that came with the car with stickers and everything was for a 2006 wrx and not a 2007 wrx. I got it from the dealership like that. Needless to say I put the car back to stock... went in for the smog and failed... Long story short, I found a shop that turned a blind eye for visual.

Mod away at your hearts content IMO.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST