2004 sti question about strange sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2004 sti question about strange sound within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Slight play back and forth is normal. Are the CV boots at the hub cracked or damaged?...

I Support ClubWRX
    Slight play back and forth is normal. Are the CV boots at the hub cracked or damaged?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the CV boot the rubber slinky lookin thing between the axle and front diff? If so it looked fine on both sides. Do I need to pull back or move the rubber? I didnt dare to being noobish. I spent about 4 hours under the car yesterday checking for anything loose, broke, rubbing and wirebrushing most rust off everything esp rotors, dustshields and visually everything looks fine. Is there a way to verify a problem with the axles without removing one of them? I don't dare to touch the dccd there must be some other symptom. What if I jack both front wheels can I turn them by hand and crawl under and listen for the exact spot the noise is?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro700 View Post
    Is the CV boot the rubber slinky lookin thing between the axle and front diff? If so it looked fine on both sides. Do I need to pull back or move the rubber? I didnt dare to being noobish. I spent about 4 hours under the car yesterday checking for anything loose, broke, rubbing and wirebrushing most rust off everything esp rotors, dustshields and visually everything looks fine. Is there a way to verify a problem with the axles without removing one of them? I don't dare to touch the dccd there must be some other symptom. What if I jack both front wheels can I turn them by hand and crawl under and listen for the exact spot the noise is?
    Well the axle can fail two ways. 1. The rubber boot gets torn, allows moisture in and eats the cv joint. 2. The cv joint just wears out from hard use, high miles etc.

You can jack it up and spin the wheels and listen, but at this point you are at the tear apart phase.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I was afraid of that, either way the axle/cv starts to fail will there be any other symptoms while turning, hard driving/acceleration play in steering etc? thanks again for everyone's replies and friendliness this site is great, by far my fav subaru forum. I will post results after dealer diagnosis/repair

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro700 View Post
    I was afraid of that, either way the axle/cv starts to fail will there be any other symptoms while turning, hard driving/acceleration play in steering etc? thanks again for everyone's replies and friendliness this site is great, by far my fav subaru forum. I will post results after dealer diagnosis/repair
    A failed cv will often make an audible popping sound while turning as well.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

well to my surprise, I was planing to take the car to the dealer after getting my new tires. I left the tire place and the noise was gone. Not quite sure how it was the tires since it made the noise even when it was lifted off the ground but somehow it was, its completely silent again. thanks again for all the replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12