04 sti sputters at 4000rpm?

This is a discussion on 04 sti sputters at 4000rpm? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey everyone ok so i have a 04 sti and it sputters at 4000rpm and i cant build boost i ...

Question 04 sti sputters at 4000rpm?

hey everyone ok so i have a 04 sti and it sputters at 4000rpm and i cant build boost i changed maf and 02 sensor and still does it.. the car also idles fine when its cold but when it warms up it stalls. IM STUMPED the car only has 83k! its my only transportation right now can anyone help me out on this ASAP please. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What mods do you have? Also do you have any sort of data logging programs?
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

It has blowoff valve, exhaust, intake. Theres no cel on

Get rid of the BOV and get a stock BPV. What intake? Are you tuned?

Thats the thing idk I bought the car from a dealer out of state I have no idea whats all done
    The intake is a aem intake which I shortened becuase I was afraid of
    Sucking water up and the hks bov was already on it too. The car ran fine then just randomally doing this

Where does the exhaust start?
    And you mention nothing of a tune.
    How are you able to take it to 4000RPMs if it stalls? Are you doing it on a cold engine? Thats a nono.
    You're really not giving us much info. Pictures of the entire engine bay and wide shot of the turbo area would help tremendously.

Until then. Stop trying to boost.

Definitely get rid of the BOV immediately. Until you do that, nobody can help you with your problem. Is the car throwing any codes? If so, what are they?

Where/how did you shorten the intake? That was not a smart move. Intakes have a specific design to work with the car, and the tube length is an integral part of that. You may need to get rid of that intake and buy a new one depending on how much and where you shortened the intake. BTW, there was no need to do that. Hydrolock is not going to happen with that intake design unless you drive your car into 18"+ of water, and even then you'd probably have to be in it for more than a few seconds and slow down so water could really start to get into the fender well.

What type of exhaust does it have i.e. axleback, catback, or turboback?

How long have you had the car, and when did this start happening? Has it always happened since you bought the car? Did it start when the weather got colder? After you shortened the intake? Does it always happen every day, and happen the same way, or is there any variability to it?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well its a bolt together intake it was by the bumper and it was getting frozen over with ice because of the weather. I just made it so it sat under the hood to keep dry. I never tried to boost with the car cold I know better then that.the cars throwing no codes at all it has a full dc sport exhaust. I bought the car 2 weeks ago from a small dealer out of state it drove fine when I test drove it then a few days later it acted up. And I did notice it started doing it when the weather got colder. But yes if I go and start the car right now itll idle beautifuly then she warms up and idles low and dies otherwise when its warm and I need that extra power to pass someone I can get the var to 4000rpm but it sounds like a bad misfire and dont build boost.

And theres no tune that i know of. Im wondering if a bad coil pack could be a result of this I got the car diagnosed at subaru dealer and they said theres a misfire in cylinder 2 and I did plugs and it still does it and the plug from cylinder 2 smelt like gas

I Support ClubWRX

04 sti sputters at 4000rpm?

Why then is there no CEL?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

1. Remove the BOV.
    2. "Full" exhaust means what? Turboback? If so, it must have a tune or it won't run right. So if it has a TBE, and since you don't know if it has a tune, that means you need to get one or else nobody can tell you what's wrong. Either buy a Cobb AP and put a tune on or go to a tuner.
    3. Put a stock intake back on or buy another aftermarket intake. You can't just chop that much off an intake.

Do these things and then come back here and post if you still have issues. There's no help anyone can provide you until you do these first.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading