Burning Oil

This is a discussion on Burning Oil within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought a used STi and noticed it burns oil and even after changing the oil, its filthy. Does anyone have ...

Burning Oil

Bought a used STi and noticed it burns oil and even after changing the oil, its filthy. Does anyone have the same issues? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I've had a similar issue with a built motor.. supposedly it was due to the rings being installed upside down. I'll find out new rings/hone fixes the problem in a couple of weeks.

Thanks MainFrame, I appreciate the info.

How much oil are we talking about? Most Subarus will burn oil. This is normal depending on how much it is. If it's a half a quart every 5000 miles... don't worry about it. If it's a full quart every 1000 miles... Worry about it.

My fully built STi pushing out 540hp burned about .25 of a quart every 3000 miles. This was normal even with using 20w 50 oil.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, mine was chewing through one quart every 200 miles. If it was only a quart every 3000 miles I would call it acceptable.

Yeah its a quart every 1000 miles, only 33,000 miles on the engine. Supposedly it was maintained by the previous owner, feeling duped.