Anything to worry about? Bearings? NFI?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anything to worry about? Bearings? NFI? within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, Just wondered if anyone could do me a favor and look through these crappy videos I made on ...

Question Anything to worry about? Bearings? NFI?

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone could do me a favor and look through these crappy videos I made on my phone when I was up under my STI the other day (MY06, australian).

The car has been clunking a lot when going over bumps, I think this might be related (the suspension is fine, it's all freshly replaced, etc).

wrx sti cv issues 1 - YouTube

wrx sti cv issues 2 - YouTube

wrx sti diff issues - YouTube

It just doesn't seem right. Can anyone explain to me what you'd actually call those components, and if the noises are normal? There's a lot of movement in the axel and I don't know if this is normal or not...

Thanks guys,

Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's your driveshaft with CV joints at each end connecting into the rear and center diffs. That sounds like a lot of play as if they're not attached as well as they should or worn to the point where they have too much play in them.

I'd be curious to hear what it sounds like when you're driving.

It's a commonly known problem that the diff will hit the underside of the car when you go over bumps sometimes or if you shift hard, but just seems like there's too much play.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

CV

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply
    So, the drive shaft enters from the rear center diff, then into the CV joint right? So, in which case would it be safe to assume given how much play there is, that my CV joints are buggered? They must be worn down or something.

When the car has been sitting for a long time, and I turn the wheel and move forward, all sorts of 'clicking' and clunking happens. Also, when I have the DCCD(?) set to 'auto', and turn in, the diff makes all kinds of clunking and horrible noises (I know that when it's locked, the tires turn at the same rate, therefore it can cause all types of awesome sounds, but this sounds like its definitely coming from the diff).

I haven't had the luxury of being able to run the car in gear whilst being under it, so it's very hard to tell if there's any type of clunking or rattling going on whilst it's driving. Though, like in that last video where i rotate the shaft, it just feels very loose and clanky...

Should I just take it in to a mechanic? (Side note: Anyone know of any REALLY good STI trained mechanics in Melbourne australia, besides STI themselves?).

Thanks again,

M

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.