2011 WRX VS 2011 STI
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX VS 2011 STI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased a 2011 WRX 5 door about 2 months ago and I kinda feel like I should have ...

2011 WRX VS 2011 STI

I just purchased a 2011 WRX 5 door about 2 months ago and I kinda feel like I should have bought an STI. But I could not really afford an STI and I read a bunch of places that the STI is not worth that much more than the WRX so just buy the WRX. I got exactly what I wanted. Satin white 5 door Limited with black mud flaps. Im just wondering what is so much better? It has the center control thing, 6 speed trans, BBS wheels, and more horsepower. Is the STI really worth that much more?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Same here, but if you ggot the all weather package and moon roof and fog lights then dont fret! You can switch out the tranny down the road when it becomes less expensive, thats what Im doing. IIRC it about 7k total, without labor. I think there is an incompatability with the speedometer but earlier models have always found a way around such things.

One of the major reasons why I didnt get the STi was its lack of options, there are tons of mods to do before hand. It almost felt like the STi was stripped down rather than loaded up with creature comforts. I know it all makes it ligter, more racing aspiring, but cant there be both?

Sti along has an lsd IIRC and a.tighter suspension. STI is more of a track bred car out of the box than a wrx. Wheel bolt pattern is different also.

It is a toss up really and a matter of preference (assuming money is t a factor either).

For me I felt the wrx suited me better and fit my personality. I also felt the extra features were something I was never going to take advantage of or had a need for. I just felt the wrx was right for me. I don't think a person could go wrong with either one.

that makes me feel a lot better. I was like. crap bought the wrong car but now I see a lot more people bought the wrx rather than the sti. have not seen an sti on the road. this is prob why.

Funny you should say that because I see more STI's (new and old) than WRX's. But like I said, part of it is money and part personal preference.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I see more older STI's than WRX's, but when it comes to 2011s I see FAR more WRX's.

For me it was the difference of about $7000 - that made my decision easy enough, and I've not regretted it a bit. If I was tracking the car at all ... I would have sprung for the STI.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

^ +1 got the WRX for price and the things that made up the 7-10k difference were not worth it to me. You would be suprised how many guys I know that have 2011 STI's and the complain so much how soft the suspension is as well, made me feel better.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Quote Originally Posted by nlc5491 View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 WRX 5 door about 2 months ago and I kinda feel like I should have bought an STI. But I could not really afford an STI and I read a bunch of places that the STI is not worth that much more than the WRX so just buy the WRX. I got exactly what I wanted. Satin white 5 door Limited with black mud flaps. Im just wondering what is so much better? It has the center control thing, 6 speed trans, BBS wheels, and more horsepower. Is the STI really worth that much more?
    Congrats on the purchase man!

To be perfectly honest with yuo: yes it is worth the extra money, and then some.

For starters, the STi has ~40 more hp, a higher pressure turbo, a larger intercooler, a driver controlled center differential, better and stronger suspension components front and rear, larger sway bars, lighter and larger wheels w/better tires, Brembo brakes on all 4 corners, and not to mention that 6spd trans which can just take repeated abuse without missing a step.

Considering those things, I mean come on, even the Brembos, to put them on all 4 corners of a WRX its going to be 4000, if not more. Then look up a price at swapping out the weaker 5spd for the 6spd, its expensive as hell. along with all the other options, FYI that is most certainly not all of the differences, yes it is definitely worth the extra money.

However, if you're just planning on using the car as a daily driver/family vehicle than the WRX is perfect, unless you're like me and bought the WRX because its cheaper and you plan on replacing almost all of the stock **** with aftermarket performance mods anyway :P
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

before i purchased my wrx i knew I wanted more power+sound system and much more. I could of afforded the sti but a stock sti is not much more powerful then a stock wrx.. So for me a stage 2 wrx is good enough. I already spend over 8k+ on mods for my wrx (and its not even a year old) so if I purchased the sti I would of spend 8k more for the car its self and 8k more of upgrades so getting the wrx for me was a better decision.......+ i plan on getting a 2007-2009 911 turbo next year so getting the sti would of put me further back in my next car choice. Subaru does not distinguish the sti enough for me to be thrown away by the car. My wrx handles and feels great the way it is I don't need better brakes and an advanced traction and such... If you want more of a car don't spend 8k+ for the sti model, get a better car in general..ie 911 turbo,m3 at the time I could of afforded either model but i chose the wrx limited because ether way you look at it even if its the sti model its still an subaru impreza at the end of the day. Im not trying to put down subaru at all I love subarus. I fell in love with my car the minute I drove it. But when people come on here and spend over 40k+ on a sti I laugh a little because when your spending that much money its dosent matter if its the wrx or sti its still an impreza. The cost of the sti limitied is not worth the price IMHO. When I priced the 2011 sti limited I was originally going to purchase a 2005 911 turbo with 40k mikes on it. They were both around the same price of 40k. I wanted a newer 911 so i decided to get the wrx in the mien time and purchase a newer 911 down the road. ill probably even end up keeping the wrx for DD because of how great of a car it is
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

Banned
    first off its not worth it.

the STI does not have 40 more HP! maybe, just maybe at the flywheel but certainly not at the wheels. the STI is 221lbs heavier and thats all in the drive train because of all that extra BS LSD's and bigger 6 speed tranny and DCCD etc. all that adds to drive train loss and the STI just has more than the WRX. why else would 09+ WRX's put down around the same HP on dyno's? from the same tuner i have not seen more than a 10HP difference.

with the lighter weight the WRX is faster, period. Faster 0-60 because of the one less shift and i personally have gone 13.3 ¼ bone stock and others have gone faster (12.9-13.2). the magazines put the WRX at about 13.3 with the STI at about 13.5. Car and Driver or one of them did a weekend long track day at VIR's 4.1 mile track. they tested EVERYTHING! the WRX was faster every time over the STI!! so who cares about all that extra drive train stuff when a cheaper car is faster all around. maybe the STI is faster at rally racing on snow, dirt, or gravel, but are you gonna take a 30-40K into the woods and find out? im not!

the WRX has higher compression pistons= more power. a composite manifold=cooler temps. the SAME SIZE turbo. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. they both run about a 37-38 lbs/min. the WRX is 14.3 psi and the STI has 14.7 psi. certainly not 40HP in there!! the STI has dual AVCS vs. the WRX's single so that is an advantage but only when a tuner messes with it and tunes it right. its basically V-tech (valve timing stuff).

both have HORRIBLE suspension from the factory! so in the end whats better? a 221 lbs lighter WRX with BC coilovers (for example) or a 221 lbs heavier STI with BC coilovers?? Get what im saying?

the STI does come with Brembo's but again it doesn’t matter. the WRX has a 60-0 stopping of 107 and the STI is 112. why? the weight. now on a race track do the Brembo's brake fade like the WRX's? im not sure. from the VIR racing id say it doesn’t matter. gotta remember something, just because you have a name brand doesn’t make it as good as aftermarket. ever see a Bose system in an Audi or something? you really think its Bose's top of the line sound system for a car? Hell No! you may get a Brembo caliper but your still getting OEM pads and rotors and brake lines and fluid!

and enough of this weak 5 speed talk! that was old school. many a many 08+ trannies have been putting down well over 400TQ without issue. to me that is not a weak tranny. hell thats about 500TQ at the flywheel. has a new 3g wrx tranny done 500-600TQ if thats what the 6 speeds can do? not that i know of but until that happens and a 5 speed blows up you cannot say its weak! Have some people had issues with 08+ trannies? Yes. Just as many as 6 speeds. I have not seen any gears lose teeth from pure power. Ive seen syncros and other little tranny parts go but that happens with 6 speeds too from bad driving and shifting. PPG gears don’t replace that stuff anyways so until someone makes stronger ones both trannies are at risk.

Even if the STI came with 350HP and more boost or something it still wouldn’t be worth it! you can reach 350 flywheel HP with just a stage 1 or maybe a stage 2 tune which costs about $60 for a Etune. Until the STI comes with like a 3.0 motor or a 45-50 lbs/min turbo, racing coilovers or something it will never be worth it. even if it does then they will charge 10-20k more for it and it will take half that for me to install a 45-50 lbs/min turbo, coilovers etc. back in the day with the bug eye’s and TD04 it was a no brainer. Now a days subi just shot themselves in the foot.
    Last edited by synolimit; 09-23-2011 at 10:04 PM.

This is my opinion on it...

Is the STI a better car? Absolutely! You could not make a WRX into an STI for the price of an STI so if you want what the STI has, buy an STI. The STI has a better trans, much better brakes, better suspension, better axles and hubs, better engine, marginally better turbo, just about everything that matters is better in the STI.

Now is it worth the $8k - $10k premuim over the WRX? That is completely up to the consumer. If I were looking for a $35k - $40k car, I would have bought an STI and not a WRX, but I was looking for a $25k car, and the WRX was everything I was looking for.

Is my car faster that an stock STI in a drag race? Sure, but I didn't buy a car for drag racing, I bought a car that was fast, was good in the snow, and could carry all my camping stuff, bikes, dog, girlfriend, wherever we need to go and be safe and reliable. I got exactly what I wanted and if you did too, you made the right choice!
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    This is my opinion on it...

Is the STI a better car? Absolutely! You could not make a WRX into an STI for the price of an STI so if you want what the STI has, buy an STI. The STI has a better trans, much better brakes, better suspension, better axles and hubs, better engine, marginally better turbo, just about everything that matters is better in the STI.

Now is it worth the $8k - $10k premuim over the WRX? That is completely up to the consumer. If I were looking for a $35k - $40k car, I would have bought an STI and not a WRX, but I was looking for a $25k car, and the WRX was everything I was looking for.

Is my car faster that an stock STI in a drag race? Sure, but I didn't buy a car for drag racing, I bought a car that was fast, was good in the snow, and could carry all my camping stuff, bikes, dog, girlfriend, wherever we need to go and be safe and reliable. I got exactly what I wanted and if you did too, you made the right choice!
    Curious how it is a marginally better turbo? Isn't the WRX and STi the same turbo ?
    2006 Subaru WRX Rally Blue
    1998 Jeep XJ
    1972 Ford Gran Torino 351CJ-4V

Quote Originally Posted by soobie View Post
    Curious how it is a marginally better turbo? Isn't the WRX and STi the same turbo ?
    No, the WRX has a VF52 and the STI has a VF48. They are nearly identical but the VF48 flows slightly more air, but they are very close
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are a million of these threads... If the STi wasn't worth the extra $8K, no one would buy it.

The DCCD alone and strength of the 6spd transmission is worth the $8K price hike. Is the WRX a good deal for $25K? Yes, I believe it is. Is the STi worth the $8K increase in cost? Absolutely.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    first off its not worth it.

the STI does not have 40 more HP! maybe, just maybe at the flywheel but certainly not at the wheels. the STI is 221lbs heavier and thats all in the drive train because of all that extra BS LSD's and bigger 6 speed tranny and DCCD etc. all that adds to drive train loss and the STI just has more than the WRX. why else would 09+ WRX's put down around the same HP on dyno's? from the same tuner i have not seen more than a 10HP difference.

with the lighter weight the WRX is faster, period. Faster 0-60 because of the one less shift and i personally have gone 13.3 ¼ bone stock and others have gone faster (12.9-13.2). the magazines put the WRX at about 13.3 with the STI at about 13.5. Car and Driver or one of them did a weekend long track day at VIR's 4.1 mile track. they tested EVERYTHING! the WRX was faster every time over the STI!! so who cares about all that extra drive train stuff when a cheaper car is faster all around. maybe the STI is faster at rally racing on snow, dirt, or gravel, but are you gonna take a 30-40K into the woods and find out? im not!

the WRX has higher compression pistons= more power. a composite manifold=cooler temps. the SAME SIZE turbo. dont let anyone tell you otherwise. they both run about a 37-38 lbs/min. the WRX is 14.3 psi and the STI has 14.7 psi. certainly not 40HP in there!! the STI has dual AVCS vs. the WRX's single so that is an advantage but only when a tuner messes with it and tunes it right. its basically V-tech (valve timing stuff).

both have HORRIBLE suspension from the factory! so in the end whats better? a 221 lbs lighter WRX with BC coilovers (for example) or a 221 lbs heavier STI with BC coilovers?? Get what im saying?

the STI does come with Brembo's but again it doesn’t matter. the WRX has a 60-0 stopping of 107 and the STI is 112. why? the weight. now on a race track do the Brembo's brake fade like the WRX's? im not sure. from the VIR racing id say it doesn’t matter. gotta remember something, just because you have a name brand doesn’t make it as good as aftermarket. ever see a Bose system in an Audi or something? you really think its Bose's top of the line sound system for a car? Hell No! you may get a Brembo caliper but your still getting OEM pads and rotors and brake lines and fluid!

and enough of this weak 5 speed talk! that was old school. many a many 08+ trannies have been putting down well over 400TQ without issue. to me that is not a weak tranny. hell thats about 500TQ at the flywheel. has a new 3g wrx tranny done 500-600TQ if thats what the 6 speeds can do? not that i know of but until that happens and a 5 speed blows up you cannot say its weak! Have some people had issues with 08+ trannies? Yes. Just as many as 6 speeds. I have not seen any gears lose teeth from pure power. Ive seen syncros and other little tranny parts go but that happens with 6 speeds too from bad driving and shifting. PPG gears don’t replace that stuff anyways so until someone makes stronger ones both trannies are at risk.

Even if the STI came with 350HP and more boost or something it still wouldn’t be worth it! you can reach 350 flywheel HP with just a stage 1 or maybe a stage 2 tune which costs about $60 for a Etune. Until the STI comes with like a 3.0 motor or a 45-50 lbs/min turbo, racing coilovers or something it will never be worth it. even if it does then they will charge 10-20k more for it and it will take half that for me to install a 45-50 lbs/min turbo, coilovers etc. back in the day with the bug eye’s and TD04 it was a no brainer. Now a days subi just shot themselves in the foot.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.