2011 WRX VS 2011 STI - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX VS 2011 STI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Maybe Matt or someone else with one will give me a ride at the next (hopefully ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Maybe Matt or someone else with one will give me a ride at the next (hopefully better attended) CF.
    You can't get the feeling from a ride... it's the drive that gives it to you.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Assumptions based on observations about car ownership are fun.

Some of you folks need to read "The Millionaire Next Door".
    It would be interesting to know how many of our STI owners here (exceptions for Scott & Bo), are "car poor", or are subsidized. I'm kinda glad to not be either of those things. It's actually kind of liberating to reach a point where you know you could cash out some assets and buy something completely ludicrous, but have come to understand how ephemeral those things are.

Crap, am I thinking out loud again?
    Tangent, but I'm curious on what you mean by 'subsidized'? I've always thought of that in either two forms, one being federal school loans, the other dealing with using government subsidized living options.

If you mean just in the form of having substantial (whatever you consider substantial - really a personal preference I guess) long term loans that affect your overall living quality, I'd assume that anybody picking up a new WRX or STi would be in a similar boat. In the grand scheme of things, ~8k over however long the loan is spread out, at a supposedly low interest rate (especially compared to my federal ones from school), is fairly minimal when it comes to overall financial 'status.... At least not enough to drive one to being the 'car poor' stereotype. It may show up in the form of one or two less dinners out for the month to balance the budget, but on the flip side, I would still have a fairly similar % of my salary in loans even if I had bought the WRX.

Not saying the STi was a great financial decision, just balancing the argument. A new car is a heavy financial burden, whether it is a 'lowly' new WRX or a 'snobbish' new STi... or even a new honda civic. Either way, if you are buying a new car, you are putting a financial burden on yourself that you will have to balance. If you can't balance it appropriately, over 5 years, it doesn't matter which new car you picked up. It's the finances that decide if you are 'car poor'... not the upfront cost.

Food for thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Hahahaha I love the attitudes in here of these 11 owners.. Keep pounding those chests rookies.. Do me a favor and google 2009 Wrx engine failure.. See how many of those superior wrxs blew there guts.. I'm sorry but you guys did not purchase the superior car and I'm not saying that to be a ****, it's just pure fact..

You guys keep talking about how well your cars handle stage 2 and wow look at my stage 2 numbers... Do you guys not understand that the STi can be modified as well?? Stage 2 on an STi STILL puts down more WHP/TQ than a stage 2 WRX..

My join date is December 24th 2004.. The day after I drove home my brand new 2005 WRX/STi.. I had the option to buy an 04 STi but after looking at the amount of differences I chose the 05. I didn't stop there.. I have a large collection of subarus that I have worked very hard for and am proud to have.. People like you however make me want to sell the whole lot for a penny.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    People like you however make me want to sell the whole lot for a penny.
    Damn.... B0rque just got serious
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    This is still all strictly about personal preferences. E.g. a bigger turbo is not a better turbo for everyone. Quite simply you can't build a WRX into an STi for anywhere near the sticker difference. Subaru can because they don't pay for all the stuff you would have to remove, and for non-Fuji stuff they probably get a huge bulk discount. If that stuff isn't important to you, or you can't afford it, then you don't get it. It is still a good deal for the extra stuff that you get if you want that stuff, and there are reasons Subaru chooses that stuff given they target certain buyers and their preferences.

Things that are not relevant to the argument that it is a good deal or not:

How many posts you have.
    Your income.
    Whether or not you could have afforded it.
    Whether or not you need to justify the fact you didn't get it.
    Whether or not you know what it is for and how to use it.
    Whether or not you have STi envy.
    Whether or not you need STi badging as a status symbol.
    What year you joined the forum.
    What brand of car you owned before.

The fact that Subaru has closed the gap is a positive thing. Everyone should want everyone to get more for their coin. That is not just Subaru camaraderie, it is good human nature. Is the STi less of a status symbol as a result? Yes, but who cares. Is it harder to justify? Maybe, who cares. Should Subaru detune the WRX to create an artificial gap - hell no. Should people buy a WRX over a Scion? IMO the more the merrier. Is it worth it to trade in your WRX and go upside down to finance a STi - hell no you made your decision stick with it.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-27-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    I seem to remember loving the 2004 STi I've driven, but it has been about 7 years...
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Maybe Matt or someone else with one will give me a ride at the next (hopefully better attended) CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    You can't get the feeling from a ride... it's the drive that gives it to you.
    Agreed. Either one of you are welcome to drive the STI next year if you want. Just take into consideration that mine has a decent bit more NVH than a newer car.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque
    People like you however make me want to sell the whole lot for a penny.
    Dibs!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Tangent, but I'm curious on what you mean by 'subsidized'? I've always thought of that in either two forms, one being federal school loans, the other dealing with using government subsidized living options.
    Err, I was actually talking about people that are still living with their parents, or are receiving aid from them for their car. "Subsidized" seemed like a friendly way to put it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    The day I pay off my student loan,mortgage & kid's tuition I'm going to get me an STI.The way things are going right now,that might be never.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 09-27-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Things have a way of dragging out, don't they?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Things have a way of dragging out, don't they?
    Every single time

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Err, I was actually talking about people that are still living with their parents, or are receiving aid from them for their car. "Subsidized" seemed like a friendly way to put it.
    I hate when you bring this up. All I'll say is that not everyone that lives with their parents gets "subsidized" (hell, my rent/utilities is more here than it was on my own)...
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-27-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Fair enough, makes sense. In that case - me =P. No excuses/explanations on that end. It's just cheap (labor for rent... can't argue) and allows for an easy house down payment =).

Now that I think about it, most of my friends that came out of school into 'higher paying' jobs actually are bumming it with their parents still. Most of my friends that weren't as lucky or went for a more 'selective' field are living on their own in an apartment already. Kinda an odd coincidence. Will give me something to ponder about for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I hate when you bring this up. All I'll say is that not everyone that lives with their parents gets "subsidized" (hell, my rent/utilities is more here than it was on my own)...
    Sorry, Matt...it's another topic that's been talked to death. We can leave it alone.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    We have all had to get some help along the way, I dont see the need to bash anyone on living with parents.. If I could stand my mom more than 10 minutes at a time, Id have them live with me.. Never be to proud to ask for help in any aspect of life

My stepfather lived with his parents until he was 40, met my mom, married her, and retired. He's paid cash for everything he owns for almost 30 years now, including large property purchases (just bought 80-something acres just because he wanted to). He buys a brand new $45k+ truck for cash every 2 years when the one he has only has about 10k miles on the last one. He buys tractors and farm implements for cash (not cheap stuff!) just because he likes to drive around his property using them for fun. Living with your parents is nothing to be ashamed of. Personally, I'd rather shoot myself first, but to each their own.

Personally, I spend far more of my income on cars than the "experts" say you should, but I love cars, payments don't mean much to me, and I love cars. Did I mention I love cars? All that matters is that you love what you drive. I love my STI. Well, I'm falling in love, but it needs stage 1 and then I think I'll fall in love.....

My garage queen? Well that thing I lust after. Forget love. After over 2 years and 22k miles of ownership, I still say out loud "God that car is amazing" over and over after a spirited drive.

And believe it or not, despite my truck being an old, dented, self-painted, rusting, constantly broken piece of junk, I love it too. It might be my favorite vehicle.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 09-27-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast