2011 WRX VS 2011 STI - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 117

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX VS 2011 STI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Why do these threads remind me of the "Groundhog day" movie?...

  1. #31
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,793
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why do these threads remind me of the "Groundhog day" movie?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada B.C.
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    It's simple. STi owners want to feel superior to WRX owners and so it doesn't matter if it's worth it or not. They're going to tell you it IS because if you don't have an STI you're just a normal mortal. If you have an STi, though, you're a driving god! Everyone (including that guy Zeus that drives a Scion TC) will worship you and and you will be the envy of every on-looker. Porsche owners will drive into trees staring at your godship as you cruise right on by them in your vehicle of all vehicles...until a regular WRX blows by you because your $34k+ car is slower than a $25k plain vanilla WRX since they have almost exactly the same power (according to all dyno tests I've seen on stock cars) and your car needs an extra shift to 60 (bears out in all the lap tests I've seen as well). Doh!

    Better? That's a strange form of better. Yes, you can STOP faster. But whose goal is it to stop when picking out a car? Yes, you can feel the bumps in the road more, but who wants to have a headache driving on regular roads? Yes, you can play with your differential. Don't forget what mode you're in, though or you will look really silly with lowly Scions passing you by. But hey, for $9k more you can turn off hill-assist.

    Ok, I've just cheesed off a whole bunch of STi owners. But that's my whole point. Choose your car on your needs + budget, not the opinions of others. Because IMO, more people choose STi based on what they believe others will think than their actual needs.

    However, IMO (for what little it's worth), the STi simply lacks power for the price, IMO. You're paying for 6-speed transmission + larger brakes + track suspension and not much else. The 6-speed won't get you better gas mileage. It'll just give you an extra unnecessary shift between 1st and 2nd (what the WRX really needs, is a 2nd overdrive gear for freeway use to get that 3k RPM down at 75mph to 2k; that would get gas mileage up to 30mpg at higher speeds). The brakes are nice, but you can always add them later if you actually need them (they help in regular driving, but they cost a lot more to replace and you really only 'need' them for track driving). The suspension is a simple mod as well. Some still say the 6-speed is a stronger transmission than the 5-speed, but if you're really serious about racing, you need a dog gear box anyway so it's going to get changed/modified regardless. For me, I'm just doing my normal driving in this car. I don't plan on racing and so the STi would have offered me little more than higher insurance costs and lower gas mileage. But the cachet of having PINK STI letters on your grill is just priceless. You're a god on wheels...oh wait. I've already mentioned the pissing contest.
    Well I know of a few People around here who regard the STi as quite formidable... The corvette club sponsors some races around here going around some cones in a big Chevy dealers parking lot, and there was some pretty good cars (Z06, Audi, Lotus...)getting their doors blown off from a basically stock STi with only sways and bushings as mods... 3 seconds, let me say it again 3 seconds, was the difference between 1st, the STi and 2nd, a Z06... In a 50 second lap, if the course was 10 laps then the 1st car an STi would have been finnished and the driver could have been having a smoke before the next car 30 seconds later, an Z06 would have crossed the finish line. After that day the corvette club guys didn't want to let an STi race any more, I guess they thought a 4 banger beating everyone by that much was somehow unfair...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

  4. #33
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,139
    I Support ClubWRX
    We need a flow chart of the normal progression of this argument so we can just post it and then close the threads. Or maybe a big dump merge thread.

    There is only one answer - if you are happy with your car, then you made the right choice.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #34
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,793
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    We need a flow chart of the normal progression of this argument so we can just post it and then close the threads. Or maybe a big dump merge thread..
    Thats a great idea.Like the Big BOV thread.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  6. #35
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Well I know of a few People around here who regard the STi as quite formidable... The corvette club sponsors some races around here going around some cones in a big Chevy dealers parking lot, and there was some pretty good cars (Z06, Audi, Lotus...)getting their doors blown off from a basically stock STi with only sways and bushings as mods... 3 seconds, let me say it again 3 seconds, was the difference between 1st, the STi and 2nd, a Z06... In a 50 second lap, if the course was 10 laps then the 1st car an STi would have been finnished and the driver could have been having a smoke before the next car 30 seconds later, an Z06 would have crossed the finish line. After that day the corvette club guys didn't want to let an STi race any more, I guess they thought a 4 banger beating everyone by that much was somehow unfair...
    So how does the comparison of the STI to a Vette mean anything in this discussion?

    Ya'll are a bunch of fools.. seriously there's no argument here. Sit down, S T F U and be happy with whatcha got regardless of which one it happens to be.

    Jeebus its like a bunch of little kids in here fighting over who's got the best basketball shoes. *face-palm*
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  7. #36
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,960
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    There is only one answer - if you are happy with your car, then you made the right choice.
    Ah, wisdom, thy name is mycologist. Good to have you back, John.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada B.C.
    Posts
    1,393
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    So how does the comparison of the STI to a Vette mean anything in this discussion?

    Ya'll are a bunch of fools.. seriously there's no argument here. Sit down, S T F U and be happy with whatcha got regardless of which one it happens to be.

    Jeebus its like a bunch of little kids in here fighting over who's got the best basketball shoes. *face-palm*
    Threads evolve or devolve which ever way you want to look at it, get used to it... It's just my answer to the having an STi badge on your car is NOT just a one upmanship for it's owners as post by MagnumXL...
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 09-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

  9. #38
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    I love how all of a sudden Subaru gives the WRX an actual turbo under the hood and all these new owners stand tall and pound there chest over the Internet like they just won a trophy for finally getting a credit rating after trading in their 16 second Honda Civic.. Look at the join date on some of these people you call "elitist STi owners" most of us started just where your at, modded the hell out of the Wrx.. Some of us stopped modding and went with the STi, some stuck with the Wrx and kept modding, some bought the STi and modded it.. Regardless, you are all beginning to ruin the commrodary that once was owning a Subaru..

    We once upon a time passed one another and drooled regardless of STi, WRX, Forester.. We waived and smiled because we shared a common bond.. Love for our Subaru.. All you clowns make me want to do is rip a 2011 wrx owner out of his car and beat the act right into the snotty little ****...

    ****.. You bought a WRX because you COULDN'T afford an STi, there is NOTHING wrong with that, maybe you bought the WRX because you didnt see the need to spend the extra $$ for an STi, that is perfectly fine too.. But to come on a forum and talk about how us STi owners are stupid or angry because we made poor financial decisions or whatever uneducated saying you decided to type is completely assanign and I'm ****ing tired of hearing it. I wish you would of kept your god damn civic, carolla, scion or Nissan you previously owned!


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  10. #39
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    I can say it's a lot better! The nurburgring proved that. I'd still put any aftermarket setup against it without question.
    Eh? Me=confused. First you said it was garbage, now you're saying it's a lot better? I wouldn't say any aftermarket setup would be better. A properly setup one that's designed for the purposes of the car could be faster, sure. But better? My STI is very comfortable to drive on the street as a daily driver, but when I push it really hard on mountain roads, it performs very well there too.

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    It's simple. STi owners want to feel superior to WRX owners and so it doesn't matter if it's worth it or not. They're going to tell you it IS because if you don't have an STI you're just a normal mortal. If you have an STi, though, you're a driving god! Everyone (including that guy Zeus that drives a Scion TC) will worship you and and you will be the envy of every on-looker.
    I feel highly superior to everyone every day I drive my STI. I'm also a driving god and Zeus worships me daily.


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Porsche owners will drive into trees staring at your godship as you cruise right on by them in your vehicle of all vehicles...
    You are correct. I have driven into trees while staring at myself driving my STI.


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    until a regular WRX blows by you because your $34k+ car is slower than a $25k plain vanilla WRX since they have almost exactly the same power (according to all dyno tests I've seen on stock cars) and your car needs an extra shift to 60 (bears out in all the lap tests I've seen as well). Doh!
    Yes, the STI is slower because of the huge egos of the people that drive them weighing the car down.


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Yes, you can STOP faster. But whose goal is it to stop when picking out a car?
    Personally, I like my car to be able to stop. But maybe some people don't.


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Yes, you can feel the bumps in the road more, but who wants to have a headache driving on regular roads?
    I like to get a headache every time I drive, as do all STI drivers. That's the main reason we buy them.



    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Yes, you can play with your differential. Don't forget what mode you're in, though or you will look really silly with lowly Scions passing you by.
    What you play with in your car is your own business. Please keep this PG.


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    Ok, I've just cheesed off a whole bunch of STi owners. But that's my whole point. Choose your car on your needs + budget, not the opinions of others. Because IMO, more people choose STi based on what they believe others will think than their actual needs.
    You mean other people are thinking of me when I drive my car? I knew everybody was out to get me!!!!!!!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    However, IMO (for what little it's worth), the STi simply lacks power for the price, IMO.
    Everybody and their mother can agree on that point after 7 years with no HP bump. However, that's why they make a wonderful thing called a "tune."


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    You're paying for 6-speed transmission + larger brakes + track suspension and not much else.
    Wait a second I'm confused... Those all sound like some really important and really expensive parts...


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    (what the WRX really needs, is a 2nd overdrive gear for freeway use to get that 3k RPM down at 75mph to 2k; that would get gas mileage up to 30mpg at higher speeds).
    So overdrive for your overdrive? Interesting idea. Now if only the RPM was what determined your gas mileage and not the wind resistance, slope, fully laden weight, friction, and lots of other little factors...


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    The brakes are nice, but you can always add them later if you actually need them (they help in regular driving, but they cost a lot more to replace and you really only 'need' them for track driving).
    Yes, you can easily add the brakes for about $4k. They're a cheap and easy mod for sure! And of course even though the vehicles can use exactly the same brake pads the STI ones cost much more to replace.....


    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumXL View Post
    The suspension is a simple mod as well.
    Yes, just as easy as the brakes. Just replace your sway bars, springs, struts, and put in new mounting points for everything and oh yeah you'll need all of the parts that make up the STI suspension to get the angles right. Another fast, easy, and cheap mod for sure!

    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Yawn.
    Yeah seriously if I didn't enjoy riling up the masses I wouldn't bother replying, but all those WRX owners are so jealous of us STI guys and wish they had one and get angry so easily I just can't resist.

    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I love how all of a sudden Subaru gives the WRX an actual turbo under the hood and all these new owners stand tall and pound there chest over the Internet like they just won a trophy for finally getting a credit rating after trading in their 16 second Honda Civic.. Look at the join date on some of these people you call "elitist STi owners" most of us started just where your at, modded the hell out of the Wrx.. Some of us stopped modding and went with the STi, some stuck with the Wrx and kept modding, some bought the STi and modded it.. Regardless, you are all beginning to ruin the commrodary that once was owning a Subaru..

    We once upon a time passed one another and drooled regardless of STi, WRX, Forester.. We waived and smiled because we shared a common bond.. Love for our Subaru.. All you clowns make me want to do is rip a 2011 wrx owner out of his car and beat the act right into the snotty little ****...

    ****.. You bought a WRX because you COULDN'T afford an STi, there is NOTHING wrong with that, maybe you bought the WRX because you didnt see the need to spend the extra $$ for an STi, that is perfectly fine too.. But to come on a forum and talk about how us STi owners are stupid or angry because we made poor financial decisions or whatever uneducated saying you decided to type is completely assanign and I'm ****ing tired of hearing it. I wish you would of kept your god damn civic, carolla, scion or Nissan you previously owned!
    I'm very stupid, very angry, and hate all WRX owners just because I drive an STI.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  11. #40
    Registered User Mahtava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    97
    i have a 2011 wrx and i have never driven an sti of any year. what i can say is i love my car. and to those arguing meaningless facts?

    i dont care about 1/4 miles or track times etc. it costs 300k+ to build a real rally car. our cars arent rally cars haha.

    after my tbe and tune my car will be way more than i could ever need for a DD. your all doing this to stroke your egos. oh and dont worry guys 20k in mods later... that twin turbo'd supra is still gonna make you look stupid.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

  12. #41
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm very stupid, very angry, and hate all WRX owners just because I drive an STI.
    I thought I was the only one...


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  13. #42
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,139
    I Support ClubWRX
    The straw man's head assploded.


    My car is better than all of the options being discussed because it is sonic yellow. If you guys are arguing about anything other than color options, you must have missed the point.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  14. #43
    The Fruit mangostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    VB VA .. the ghetto on the sea
    Posts
    4,735
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I thought I was the only one...
    Nah, there's a bunch of us.. we meet at the bar on Friday's.. I got first round
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

  15. #44
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,518
    I Support ClubWRX
    I got the rest then my friend.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  16. #45
    Registered User SPT2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    175
    Comparing a 2004-07 sti to a 2011 wrx is like comparing a 2004-07 m3 to a 2011 335. Your insane if you think an older sti is nicer by any means then a brand new wrx. The newer car is always superior IMHO. The sti its merely 4 grand more from the limited wrx to base sti.... Anyone driving a 2011 wrx could of afforded any older sti, so really your point does not make sense.
    11WRX Ltd - COBB Stage 2+AEM HWG 93 Octane
    COBB Downpipe - SPT Exhaust - AEM Intake
    Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT - JL Audio W6v2 & XD600/1

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •