2011 WRX VS 2011 STI - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX VS 2011 STI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Nah_Bodi One of the major reasons why I didnt get the STi was its lack of options, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nah_Bodi View Post
    One of the major reasons why I didnt get the STi was its lack of options, there are tons of mods to do before hand. It almost felt like the STi was stripped down rather than loaded up with creature comforts. I know it all makes it ligter, more racing aspiring, but cant there be both?
    It's the the STI Limited and it definitely has the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by SPT2011 View Post
    i plan on getting a 2007-2009 911 turbo next year so getting the sti would of put me further back in my next car choice.

But when people come on here and spend over 40k+ on a sti I laugh a little because when your spending that much money its dosent matter if its the wrx or sti its still an impreza. The cost of the sti limitied is not worth the price IMHO. When I priced the 2011 sti limited I was originally going to purchase a 2005 911 turbo with 40k mikes on it. They were both around the same price of 40k. I wanted a newer 911 so i decided to get the wrx in the mien time and purchase a newer 911 down the road. ill probably even end up keeping the wrx for DD because of how great of a car it is
    I got my STI Limited out the door for $34k. There are great deals to be found.

What attracts you to the 911 Turbo? And why do you want a newer model than the 2005? I'd suggest you do a lot more research on them and fully understand the benefits and detriments of each model. The 996 platform is outstanding and as you've see fairly inexpensive these days due to a poor economy and high production numbers. With the X50 package on it you're only a few thousand dollars away from 600whp/600wtq. There's also some cheap (for Porsche) suspension mods that can turn it into a real beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
    both have HORRIBLE suspension from the factory! so in the end whats better? a 221 lbs lighter WRX with BC coilovers (for example) or a 221 lbs heavier STI with BC coilovers?? Get what im saying?
    The suspension on the 2011 STI is a serious upgrade from previous models and is really excellent now.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nlc5491 View Post
    I just purchased a 2011 WRX 5 door about 2 months ago and I kinda feel like I should have bought an STI. But I could not really afford an STI and I read a bunch of places that the STI is not worth that much more than the WRX so just buy the WRX. I got exactly what I wanted. Satin white 5 door Limited with black mud flaps. Im just wondering what is so much better? It has the center control thing, 6 speed trans, BBS wheels, and more horsepower. Is the STI really worth that much more?
    If you're never going to track or compete with the car.... NO.. the wrx will do you just fine for street use. Simple question, simple answer. /thread.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

So two or three people who own an STi say its worth it. A couple of people who own WRX say so too. All of the naysayers dont own an STi correct? Hmmm... if i just wanted a fast car Id have bought a new 5.0 Mustang. If i just wanted AWD Id have bought a crossover with it. I wanted everything in a car and to me my $34750 was well spent on my STi.
    2011 Plasma Blue STi 5-door

doesn't matter if you own one or not.. the two cars are not dedicated to the same purposes.

STI= street legal track car

WRX= hot daily driver

There are great differences between the two. For literal daily driver street use the STI is not needed. Wanted? sure! But not needed.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatic11
    So two or three people who own an STi say its worth it. A couple of people who own WRX say so too. All of the naysayers dont own an STi correct? Hmmm... if i just wanted a fast car Id have bought a new 5.0 Mustang. If i just wanted AWD Id have bought a crossover with it. I wanted everything in a car and to me my $34750 was well spent on my STi.
    The WRX is a capable car. For some people, it's sufficient. For others, it's not. For me, the better brakes, transmission, and differentials are worth the coin.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by synolimit View Post

with the lighter weight the WRX is faster, period. Faster 0-60 because of the one less shift and i personally have gone 13.3 bone stock and others have gone faster (12.9-13.2). the magazines put the WRX at about 13.3 with the STI at about 13.5. Car and Driver or one of them did a weekend long track day at VIR's 4.1 mile track. they tested EVERYTHING! the WRX was faster every time over the STI!! so who cares about all that extra drive train stuff when a cheaper car is faster all around. maybe the STI is faster at rally racing on snow, dirt, or gravel, but are you gonna take a 30-40K into the woods and find out? im not!
    I wouldn't put too much into magazine tests... A lot of these testers don't have the car long enough to "really test it" as with more than one of these testers having said after the test that the STi was a great car but such and such was better on the track because you can turn off the traction control in them and you cant, in the STi and it was interfearing with the drive... Well you CAN turn off the overseer nanny so the car CAN be driven harder and faster with the nanny turned off so...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    For literal daily driver street use the STI is not needed. Wanted? sure! But not needed.
    You could get away with a Geo Metro just fine. Is that a better daily driver than the WRX?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    How many of these threads are we going to have?

The STi IS A WRX..... It is a purpose built car by SUBARU, do you honestly think SUBARU would build an STi out of a WRX if the STi wasnt a better car?

If your going to modify the car purchase an STi if you have the money, if not.. Buy the WRX and enjoy the car, especially if you cant afford an STi, the WRX is a great car.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You could get away with a Geo Metro just fine. Is that a better daily driver than the WRX?
    Yes, actually.. it is.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI is the better car however you look at it.If you can afford it,get it.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Afford it.... That is the point. Most people will not use the sti for its intended purpose. The Wrx will fit the needs of 95% of people. Mine is stock with the Spt exhaust and it is stupid fast! ;-) I could easily get many, many tickets. I plan to go stage two and enjoy my rocket. Sti would be fun, but I have a family to support as well. My wrx is sweet!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    They are nearly identical but the VF48 flows slightly more air, but they are very close
    IHI does not release info so neither you or I can say anything besides an opinion.

But there the same! (besides layout)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    If the STi wasn't worth the extra $8K, no one would buy it
    lol ever heard of a guy named Hilter or a word called propaganda?? If Travis Pastrona and Ken Block always drove the WRX you think the STI would be so hot? People buy it cause they think they need to. I've already stated some slower stuff the STI has.

Let's forget the actual car. If I told you here's some Brembos that stop you at 112ft or here's stock calipers that stop you at 107ft, which ones you gonna buy?? It's a no brainer! You think you need them because your told you need them.

All I'm saying is upgrade equally on both cars and 9 times out of 10 the WRX will come out ahead since it already comes out ahead by the slightest margins. Even if it doesn't for some reason,! like the STI happened to like mods better than the WRX and it's a second faster or something, I still spent $8,000 LESS!!!

And again, until i see a 08+ tranny with a gt35 with meth or e85 blow up you guys can not keep saying the 08+ tranny is weaker! (can the stock 6 speed take a gt35 fuel??)

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

The suspension on the 2011 STI is a serious upgrade from previous models and is really excellent now.
    I can say it's a lot better! The nurburgring proved that. I'd still put any aftermarket setup against it without question.
    Last edited by synolimit; 09-26-2011 at 01:16 PM.

It's simple. STi owners want to feel superior to WRX owners and so it doesn't matter if it's worth it or not. They're going to tell you it IS because if you don't have an STI you're just a normal mortal. If you have an STi, though, you're a driving god! Everyone (including that guy Zeus that drives a Scion TC) will worship you and and you will be the envy of every on-looker. Porsche owners will drive into trees staring at your godship as you cruise right on by them in your vehicle of all vehicles...until a regular WRX blows by you because your $34k+ car is slower than a $25k plain vanilla WRX since they have almost exactly the same power (according to all dyno tests I've seen on stock cars) and your car needs an extra shift to 60 (bears out in all the lap tests I've seen as well). Doh!

Better? That's a strange form of better. Yes, you can STOP faster. But whose goal is it to stop when picking out a car? Yes, you can feel the bumps in the road more, but who wants to have a headache driving on regular roads? Yes, you can play with your differential. Don't forget what mode you're in, though or you will look really silly with lowly Scions passing you by. But hey, for $9k more you can turn off hill-assist.

Ok, I've just cheesed off a whole bunch of STi owners. But that's my whole point. Choose your car on your needs + budget, not the opinions of others. Because IMO, more people choose STi based on what they believe others will think than their actual needs.

However, IMO (for what little it's worth), the STi simply lacks power for the price, IMO. You're paying for 6-speed transmission + larger brakes + track suspension and not much else. The 6-speed won't get you better gas mileage. It'll just give you an extra unnecessary shift between 1st and 2nd (what the WRX really needs, is a 2nd overdrive gear for freeway use to get that 3k RPM down at 75mph to 2k; that would get gas mileage up to 30mpg at higher speeds). The brakes are nice, but you can always add them later if you actually need them (they help in regular driving, but they cost a lot more to replace and you really only 'need' them for track driving). The suspension is a simple mod as well. Some still say the 6-speed is a stronger transmission than the 5-speed, but if you're really serious about racing, you need a dog gear box anyway so it's going to get changed/modified regardless. For me, I'm just doing my normal driving in this car. I don't plan on racing and so the STi would have offered me little more than higher insurance costs and lower gas mileage. But the cachet of having PINK STI letters on your grill is just priceless. You're a god on wheels...oh wait. I've already mentioned the pissing contest.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

I Support ClubWRX
    Yawn.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast