05 sti timing belt install now burnin oil
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 sti timing belt install now burnin oil within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so back in about march I had my timing timing belt installed at dealer ship in Erie when I ...

05 sti timing belt install now burnin oil

Ok so back in about march I had my timing timing belt installed at dealer ship in Erie when I left all seemed well I drove about 60 miles the car over heated had to towed back back up to the dealership they said the fan wasnt pluged in properly. Didnt believe that.... Howerever I mentioned about the head gasket the guy said the mechanics are supposed to check that I said ya they are supposed to check but did he? The guy just looked at me irritated. To the point aftewards I started getting getting white smoke from my exhaust every once in awhile.I drive it normally not getin on it or anything. then i had a vacuum leek about a month later they blamed it on my bov which they actually tore apart my bov saying it caused the leek. Which it didnt I replaced the bov with hks with no problem but im still gettin intermitent white smike obvious burning oil. Coming back from robinson back in may i heard a weird noise I pulled over I was low 2 quarts of oil. I hadnt had my oil change since the timing belt so possible cause on the low oild could be caue of of the over heating issue right? So what the hell is going on? Crack the head like I think or what? Today I go drive my sti there is smoke comin out of the exhaust like crazy, I drive down the street a little and it usually clears but it didn't clear i had to pull over and the smoke kept coming out of the exhaust. so its getting worst.
    Last edited by Phatcivic1721; 09-06-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    AIM siscivic
    MSN sis21721@zoominternet.net
    thats right B!tch I'm a female...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well took it to a shop he said he thinks its the head gasket just like I thought. He doesnt really have much time to do it and hell I dont know how to do it. Anyone know a good reliable shop around the erie pa area? I live in conneaut lake just givin general area.
    AIM siscivic

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That's a real bummer, wish I could help you with a shop name. Best of luck.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

sorry to hear about that good luck with the fix..

So you're running a BOV still on your STI? You need to be running a stock BPV or you're going to cause all sorts of engine problems...

Sorry to hear about your problems. Is the smoke truly white, or does it have a bluish tinge? A leaking head gasket shouldn't result in the car being 2 quarts low on oil. How often do you check your oil?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2 quarts low was right after the car had over heated and im guessing they didnt check all my fluids at subaru afterwards. I got close to needing an oil change maybe 1000 miles 2 it and I was on my way back from the robinson meet when my CEL came on and I heard a weird sound almost like a vacuum leak sound but sounded like it was comin from the turbo. So I checked the oil and It was low. Added oil. Took it to the shop they checked it and it was 2 quarts low. Ive only put about 4000 miles on it since the timing belt change. And I check it every week. It doesnt seem low. I would say its more blueish. But cant really tell with the mirror. At idle its not as bad and looks more white. I know when I left the shop with it there was so much it was a mix of white and blue it seemed like anyways it was just that bad I wish I could have taken a video.
    AIM siscivic

Blue indicates oil is burning. White indicates water vapor or coolant. It would be remarkable for your head gasket to be leaking that badly and the car still running pretty much ok. I'm assuming you've examined the outside of the engine for any signs of a leak? And that you've examined the ground where the car gets parked every night?
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Ive examined both areas and seen no leaks. It didnt start smokin that bad till I took it to this shop and he topped all the fluids he said I was low on my anit freeze and oil as well. Dont know if that has anything to do with it or not? Or do u think he could have ****ed something up when working on it? Something else. Never before have I seen smoke come from around the turbo before and this time after leaving the shop I popped the hood and there was smoke coming from around the turbo. Not a lot just more of a steam.
    AIM siscivic

Low on antifreeze too eh? You're burning fluids...that could certainly point to a HG. Do you have an oil feed problem to the turbo? That could be causing oil issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It's certainly possible he could have messed something up. What exactly was on your invoice i.e. what exactly did he work on?
    Scott

I hate to tell you but the dealer changing your timing belt has zero to do with your car eating oil. Also it happens here and there a tech forgets to plug in the fan when putting everything back together so they weren't lying to you there. You have a completely different issue all together. You're just not going to burn 2 quarts of oil in a short period of time unless you have something majorly wrong. I'd start by making sure you have the right amount of oil in your car. Make sure the car has been sitting for 5-10 min and you're on a flat level surface before checking. Then from there keep an eye on it. I'd say check it every 500 miles. The car is going to burn a little bit of oil because that's what they do with age but post what you find here.

Well I didnt get an invoice from the guy. He said he hadnt had time to work on it yet when I picked it up. It smoked so much when I picked I up I turned around and left it there. The car is now sittin there till I can find someone to work on it. Which I need a shop to work on. Im not gonna work on it. Lol im done trying.
    Never checked anything with the turbk before didnt think about it till I seen it smoking. Ill look into it.
    About the burning oil. It didnt start till after they changed the timing belt and the car over heated. I think from the car over heating it caused some kind of damage which caused the oil burning issue.
    2.0RS my car isnt driving anywherr it is smoking entirely to bad to go even a block no way will I drive it 500 miles
    AIM siscivic

Im gonna stop at the shop tomorrow and ask him what exactly he did to it. I need to know for sure exactly. As much as I know he said he looked it over and topped off fluids. But I dont know if he went any further than that. Ill also check out about the turbo. I had asked him if he checked on it while its been sitting there and he said he hasn't gotten to it. Is there anything else I should do while im there? I can't bring her home cause she ain't driveable
    AIM siscivic

The guy said he only added fluids and checked for leaks. He didn't see any. I looked around the oil feed line to the turbo and I didn't see anything... thank god! Though an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. Lol. But I found another shop around here that can work on it. He's talkin like the head might be bad on it so he's saying he might have to shave the head.. i kinda thought if they do that why not port and polish it what do u guys think?
    AIM siscivic

I Support ClubWRX
    I think you need to specify the nature of the problem to somebody that hasn't brought up thousands of dollars in parts and labour before even examining the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.