how to take off in my sti

This is a discussion on how to take off in my sti within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, im just wanting some help with my 02 sti, Im struggling with the take off, im trying to get ...

how to take off in my sti

Hi, im just wanting some help with my 02 sti,
    Im struggling with the take off, im trying to get the clutch to its point but when i go to take off its jerky and not smooth. From 2nd to 3rd etc its no probs and its awesome driving i just cant take off well. I use to have bugeye station wgn and take off was smooth and quick. The only way i can do it in the sti is to take off slow and then pick up speed and i konw thats not how i should be driving it. I just cant seem to get the clutch and accelerator to work in harmony.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This topic has been covered on several occasions you can find your answer with a fast search.. So i will be brief in my explanation.

Take your tac up to 5-5.5... on the launch let the clutch out slightly to remove slack in the drive train (i know some people use there e-brake to hold em on the line while they remove slack from the drive train and release on yellow so they get a better RT)... then come off the the clutch quickly strait up (DO NOT SIDE STEP) as you push the gas down both in one smooth motion...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you asking how to just normally start from a stop, or to do a launch?

If it is just a normal start, you'll just have to keep practising until your feet get calibrated to the faster reacting throttle and grabbier clutch of the STi.

It should be easier given the lower ration of 1st gear in the STi in comparison with your former ride. Hmmmmm.....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Are you asking how to just normally start from a stop, or to do a launch?

If it is just a normal start, you'll just have to keep practising until your feet get calibrated to the faster reacting throttle and grabbier clutch of the STi.

It should be easier given the lower ration of 1st gear in the STi in comparison with your former ride. Hmmmmm.....
    If its a normal start i can ease from 1st to 2nd slow and smoothe and then pick up speed in the other gears. However i want to take off with more speed.
    As soon as i want to "launch" faster it doesnt go well. I know its me and what im doing. The car just shudders because i cant get the clutch and accelerator smoothly.
    I think i drop off the rpm a bit initially too am i best to practise with the handbrake on will that help me keep the focus on the rpm???

if its possible to upload a video, it would make it much easier to give advice about your problem

I Support ClubWRX
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need a new GE jet engine for proper thrust, some wings, and a way to affix a rudder and flap to the rear wing so you can steer.

Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!