Help! Check engine light flashing as soon as the key is on - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Help! Check engine light flashing as soon as the key is on within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mustangturbo50 hmm im not seeing a box thats why i was thinking it was just buried in ...

Quote Originally Posted by mustangturbo50 View Post
    hmm im not seeing a box thats why i was thinking it was just buried in the dash somewhere. but ill keep looking when i get some more time
    Relays are generally never inside the cabin. They're usually under the hood in the main fuse box.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

relay

im just going of my mitchell software and it says behind right side of dash

Quote Originally Posted by mustangturbo50 View Post
    im just going of my mitchell software and it says behind right side of dash
    Well, if you're sitting in the seat, the hood is behind the dash. :x

yes

lol yeah i guess if you look at it that way

It's probably in here:

Well, this is just a guess....

But, it when you turn the key on to accessory (not all the way on) and the CEL blinks, and the relays and the fans keep cycling off and on, sounds like you have the test connectors under the steering wheel hooked up. Do you have an accessport, or did you recently buy it used? Or have you taken it somewhere for service or inspection recently? I forget the color of the connectors in an '02, but the other years are green. If you look under the steering wheel (all the way, from the gas pedals look up) and you see either a green wire connection or a white wire connetion, disconnect the 2 plugs from one another. That would theoretically do it....

EDIT: The more I read this over, I'm 99% sure this is your issue.
    Last edited by Truckster27; 04-13-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

I Support ClubWRX
    hahaha

I feel like such a noob. Yeah, that has to be test connectors
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Two hours late, but yeah, unplug the test connectors. Your looking at old code history. Also your driving in limp home mode.

"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Glad to see we're in agreement. . I guess the real question is when / why were they connected in the first place. And, if they've been that way since he bought it, he's in for a whole new driving experience!
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Truckster27 View Post
    Glad to see we're in agreement. . I guess the real question is when / why were they connected in the first place. And, if they've been that way since he bought it, he's in for a whole new driving experience!
    +1 on the connectors, made that same mistake, saw them lose and didnt know what they were so thought to connect them and drove like that for a hour...

+1 on the whole new driving experience!

However I would suggest to you check with the place that read the codes for you, they might have connected them and forgot to unplug them. Which means you might still have some issues.

**__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I know this thread is from four years ago, but I wanted to say thanks!

A couple months ago, I had an alarm issue, and someone stopped to help me when it wouldn't shut off one day. Unfortunately, the guy just started rummaging around, pulling fuses, disconnected the horn, etc. I told him I could handle it, and I tooled around a bit and figured how to actually fix the problem. But when I reconnected the horn and replaced the fuse he had pulled, I found that my check engine light started flashing rapidly and the fan started clicking on and off as soon as I put the key in. When I started it, the idle was irregular. I knew the CEL hadn't been coming on before, and I was afraid it had something to do with what this guy had done. I hooked it to the computer and checked the codes, and I knew the long string of errors that came back just didn't make sense, but no one could figure out what was going on. It stumped a few mechanics, and internet searches had been useless because they all just brought up actual CEL errors, and I knew this was something else. I was about to dump a bunch of money into electrical diagnostics, looking for a short or something. Then after another google search, I finally found this post! So obvious! I checked and found that the guy who stopped to help me must have found the test connectors and decided they needed to be connected. I pulled them apart, and the problems are gone! And my WRX runs better than it has in months!

I'm posting a response to keep this fresh in the search engine results. Hopefully someone else looking for a solution will find this post. This has been a huge pain in the ass, as it delayed my smog check and registration and was really getting annoying. Thanks to those who were awesome enough to post the solution!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12