intake. stock vs CAI
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on intake. stock vs CAI within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i just put on my old air intake and have a few questions. first, it sounds like i have ...

intake. stock vs CAI

so i just put on my old air intake and have a few questions. first, it sounds like i have a ov on there now and i can hear the turbo hissing hella loud. i never noticed this with my SRT-4 after installing the CAI on it. i know its air tight because i installed it myself and tripple checked everything. what is the general concensus on stock vs aftermarket? the stock intake is the 5h1t but doesnt sound like aftermarket nor does it look as fancy. everyones opinions, ups, downs, etc are appriciated.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This subject has probably been discussed about a million times...........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    This subject has probably been discussed about a million times...........
    rather than being a toll, tell me where the thread is or put a link to it. i like the rice mobile btw

Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger View Post
    rather than being a toll, tell me where the thread is or put a link to it. i like the rice mobile btw
    First off - it's "troll" and you're being one. Search. Had you done any light amount of searching you would already have your answer. To save all of us from needing to read more of your insolence, I'll attempt to give you all the information you need below. Granted I could be wrong, or making this up, so you still may wish to search.

If you put on the stock intake is it connected to the snorkus which sits in the passenger fender and connects to the intake shroud? I believe it's mainly the snorkus which is responsible for keeping the stock intake from audibly transmitting turbo noise. It is important to remember that many aftermarket intakes place the MAF in a manner which skews the MAF readings and results in problems. SRI's from Cobb, Perrin, APS, and K&N Typhoon are all known to be safe.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    First off - it's "troll" and you're being one. Search. Had you done any light amount of searching you would already have your answer. To save all of us from needing to read more of your insolence, I'll attempt to give you all the information you need below. Granted I could be wrong, or making this up, so you still may wish to search.

If you put on the stock intake is it connected to the snorkus which sits in the passenger fender and connects to the intake shroud? I believe it's mainly the snorkus which is responsible for keeping the stock intake from audibly transmitting turbo noise. It is important to remember that many aftermarket intakes place the MAF in a manner which skews the MAF readings and results in problems. SRI's from Cobb, Perrin, APS, and K&N Typhoon are all known to be safe.
    thanks again for being a ****head but you are wrong about most of that. its called the airbox and it is so the air can reverberate around in there a bit to cool down before making it to the MAF. CAIs are safe the only thing that can happen is, if you buy on that is not of similar size to the tube on the stock, you will start throwing codes. reread the post and, if you fell it necessary, respond without being another ass. peace

thanks again for being a ****head but you are wrong about most of that. its called the airbox and it is so the air can reverberate around in there a bit to cool down before making it to the MAF. CAIs are safe the only thing that can happen is, if you buy on that is not of similar size to the tube on the stock, you will start throwing codes. reread the post and, if you fell it necessary, respond without being another ass. peace
    I thought it was there to prevent water from entering the intake.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I thought it was there to prevent water from entering the intake.
    negative. thats what the filter is for. the stock intake on the 04opens right under the hood between the headlights, goes down into the fender ewhere the airbox is then back up to the filter then MAF then manifold. your intake doesnt inhale strong enought to suck water in like its a straw, it sucks in vapors or very small amounts of water up the side of the tube or airbox if you dont have a filter. of course, if you drive through a stream with the CAI and submerge the filter, you are done for because you WILL vapor lock that bee-otch. however, if you have a ****ty paper or screen cone filter in the fender, it is still possible to suck in water. for this, you can put a bypass in the middle of the pipe just in case. not sure its exact physics or design that makes it work but thats the scoop
    Last edited by blueSTInger; 01-07-2009 at 12:02 AM.

guess it depends who you ask

negative. thats what the filter is for. the stock intake on the 04opens right under the hood between the headlights, goes down into the fender ewhere the airbox is then back up to the filter then MAF then manifold. your intake doesnt inhale strong enought to suck water in like its a straw, it sucks in vapors or very small amounts of water up the side of the tube or airbox if you dont have a filter. of course, if you drive through a stream with the CAI and submerge the filter, you are done for because you WILL vapor lock that bee-otch. however, if you have a ****ty paper or screen cone filter in the fender, it is still possible to suck in water. for this, you can put a bypass in the middle of the pipe just in case. not sure its exact physics or design that makes it work but thats the scoop
    All snorkus questions be answered here! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

well thanks for the info but all of that basically just coverscwhat i posted in the last post. i just wanted to know if any other STI owners had any problems or who did it and hated it, who loves the CAI instead of stock, who has ended up with vapor lock? i already know the ups and downs and what nots but i was curious what the STI owners experienced. thx

Hi guys, when I bought my 02 sti it had an MRT CAI, I drove the car for over a year and before trading it in the sales man told me to put back the stock one... long story short I bought one and installed it... I drove the car for 2 weeks and it was a million times better!

Our local tunner told me once that he stock airbox in an sti is good for 450hp!

**__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    There are gains to be made with an aftermarket intake, but there are better ways to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger
    Asking for advice then insulting people who respond is the best way to get help

Bring on the flame ...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i like the rice mobile btw
    uncalled for. no reason to be a douche. politely asking for a link wouldve been your best bet, or hell, whats that search feature up there do?

search - "cai" "intake" "cold air intake" , etc etc. you will find TONS of threads with all the information youre looking for.

Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    here is a freebee.

IBtimeout.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    You've already mentioned that the stock box pulls air in directly from the atmosphere and cools it before running through the engine. Most CAIs are going to suck in warm engine bay air.

More often than not you're going to get more reliability and power out of a stock box and aftermarket panel filter. Getting air in isn't the problem with these cars, it's the exhaust side that becomes constricting with stock parts.

If you want a nice looking engine bay, care about how it sounds, and are willing to risk a potential loss in power, keep the CAI.

To this day I still don't understand why anyone cares how the turbo / bpv /bov sound as long as they're doing what they're supposed to do, but that's just me.

Those are my opinions, ups, downs, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's called hydrolock,not vaporlock.Do you even know what vaporlock is?Hint:has to do with the fuel system.And yes you absolutly can suck in water with the stock intake system.The stock induction resonator is designed to work on the Helmholtz theory(also used in intake manifolds and exhaust systems) and is located in the fender.It really has nothing to do with cooling the air down before hitting the MAF.And the filter will not stop water.Bypass?You might want to read AEM's product description again.Their intake bypass valve is not for forced induction use.

Induction Kits and ECU Calibration
    CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes
    AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air
    Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Those funny things tee’d into intakes… | AutoSpeed Blog

Last edited by Donkey; 01-07-2009 at 07:26 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It's called hydrolock,not vaporlock.Do you even know what vaporlock is?Hint:has to do with the fuel system.And yes you absolutly can suck in water with the stock intake system.The stock induction resonator is designed to work on the Helmholtz theory(also used in intake manifolds and exhaust systems) and is located in the fender.It really has nothing to do with cooling the air down before hitting the MAF.And the filter will not stop water.Bypass?You might want to read AEM's product description again.Their intake bypass valve is not for forced induction use.

Induction Kits and ECU Calibration
    CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes
    AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air
    Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Those funny things tee’d into intakes… | AutoSpeed Blog

finally! the last few posts are what i was looking for to start with, thanks to all for input. i really dont know why i kept calling it vaporlock, i guess i was just flustered and got stuck on vapor as apposed to hydro. ido understand they are 2 seperate things completely. anyway the only reason i was being a "douche" is because one of the posts i got from micah was snotty as hell and could have easily been posted like this, "this topic has been covered before, try using the search tool located at ________. but here is a link to the thread. bye". had "micah" been even a little bit polite, it would have saved a lot of time on hostility here for a bunch of us. this thread could have been closed in 2 posts, mine and a "heres the thread" post. thanks for the help though. later
    Last edited by blueSTInger; 01-07-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.