exhaust help

This is a discussion on exhaust help within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im a newbiee to the STI but know cars in general pretty well. i just ordered an SR*S catback exhaust ...

exhaust help

im a newbiee to the STI but know cars in general pretty well. i just ordered an SR*S catback exhaust on ebay as well as a megan downpipe. do i need anything more to complete my exhaust? i thought UPpipe and DOWNpipe were the same thing, am i correct? thanks for all your help.

-the STI is dangerous!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    the UP and DP are different:

the STi's already have a catless UP so all you need is a CBE+ downpipe and you're good.

dont forget you need engine management.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    the UP and DP are different:

the STi's already have a catless UP so all you need is a CBE+ downpipe and you're good.

dont forget you need engine management.
    wow! you are the effin man!!! thanks a ton. so the uppipe doesnt really need to be "upgraded", waste of money there? can i bolt a raptor BOV onto the stock intercooler? or would it just be better to wait til my shop builds my fmic and piping? as for EM, cobb accassport?
    Last edited by blueSTInger; 12-26-2008 at 04:12 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger
    wow! you are the effin woman!!! thanks a ton. so the uppipe doesnt really need to be "upgraded", waste of money there? can i bolt a raptor BOV onto the stock intercooler? or would it just be better to wait til my shop builds my fmic and piping? as for EM, cobb accassport?
    There are gains to be had from an aftermarket UP on the 2.5L platform, but it's not as much as the 2.0L WRXs (their UP had a cat in it) and would require a custom tune to notice it.

As for the BOV, it's your choice. I personally wouldn't run one (it will do nothing for your cars performance, but it sounds aggressive), but it's not going to blow your car up if the valve is setup properly and doesn't leak.

Engine management is personal preference - I do not believe in an off the shelf map like Cobb has, but many people run them without issues. Personally, I've gone the route of open-source.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    There are gains to be had from an aftermarket UP on the 2.5L platform, but it's not as much as the 2.0L WRXs (their UP had a cat in it) and would require a custom tune to notice it.

As for the BOV, it's your choice. I personally wouldn't run one (it will do nothing for your cars performance, but it sounds aggressive), but it's not going to blow your car up if the valve is setup properly and doesn't leak.

Engine management is personal preference - I do not believe in an off the shelf map like Cobb has, but many people run them without issues. Personally, I've gone the route of open-source.
    woman, my bad i am truly sorry. you dont meet many ladys that dip skoal mint but anyway, i had an SRT-4 and knew it from top to bottom in and out so the STI is a new project/learning subject for me. i was concidering just putting headers on it, in which case it ewould only make sense to get a stainless UP. what is this "turbo creep" everyone talks about? ive never heard it used in a conversation about the SRT-4 so....thanks for your help. i really appriciate it!
    Last edited by blueSTInger; 12-26-2008 at 09:59 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger
    woman, my bad i am truly sorry. you dont meet many ladys that dip skoal mint but anyway, i had an SRT-4 and knew it from top to bottom in and out so the STI is a new project/learning subject for me. i was concidering just putting headers on it, in which case it ewould only make sense to get a stainless UP. what is this "turbo creep" everyone talks about? ive never heard it used in a conversation about the SRT-4 so....thanks for your help. i really appriciate it!
    No, wrxtreme06 is a woman lol

Boost creep:
    Everything you need to know about boost creep - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    He doesn't need a tune to get power from an up-pipe. BUT, he's gonna need a tune regardless because he bought a downpipe. OP, either don't put the downpipe on until you can get tuned or stay out of boost till you can have someone tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueSTInger View Post
    wow! you are the effin man!!! thanks a ton. so the uppipe doesnt really need to be "upgraded", waste of money there? can i bolt a raptor BOV onto the stock intercooler? or would it just be better to wait til my shop builds my fmic and piping? as for EM, cobb accassport?
    I hope you're not using that FMIC with a stock turbo. And you don't need the BoV period. Keep the stock BPV. That BoV will garner nothing but negative attention and is slightly detrimental to the performance of the car.
    Last edited by brfatal; 12-27-2008 at 11:51 AM.

well here it is, i bolted on the CBE and its friggin amazing! sounds great, nice deep rumble at idle but still maintaing that signiture boxer note in the high rpms. LOVE IT!!! megan DP and tune coming next week as well as my new floor mats, they will ad another 63 hp or so.

ah the floor mat hp mod, very nice. Almost as much hp as the shift knob mod... my personal fav! lol