Subaru WRX Forum banner

Boost creep / fuel cut

106K views 150 replies 48 participants last post by  8007 
#1 · (Edited)
OK,
I've been answering a lot of question lately about DPs without cats, fuel cut, boost creep, etc. so I thought I'd put a stickey in place. The following is a simplistic explanation. Feel free to respond and correct any errors I've introduced, or provide further clarification. This is to be an instructional stickey, so more information is always better.

Although some EMS claim they can take care of boost creep, in reality, they are adjusting the actuation speed of the wastegate, which actually does provide some protection against boost creep, but this is a "tuning" type fix, and can't fully protect against the "physical" restriction of the wastegate size.

To the explanation (greatly simplified):

Exhaust flow powers the turbine side of the turbo, spooling up the impeller and compressing your intake air to your manifold.

To control boost, you regulate the flow of this exhaust by bypassing exhaust around the turbo once it achieves set pressure. The wastegate is the exhaust bypass around the turbo. As you close the wastegate, this directs more flow through the turbo, increasing boost. As boost rises to set pressure, the wastegate opens to allow exhaust to bypass around the turbo, slowing the turbo down and lowering/maintaining peak boost pressure. In reality, the wastegate is merely a bypass valve though, not a true pressure contol system.

On the stock system, you have backpressure in your exhaust line from the cat, resonator, muffler, and piping sizes. This works to keep the exhaust flow through the turbo to a rate that can be managed in conjunction with the wastegate.

Once you remove these items and free up exhaust flow (reduce backpressure), your turbo now has more exhaust flowing through it at peak throttle than it did before. The wastegate is sized with the stock backpressure in mind. It now can't flow enough exhaust at peak pressure to slow the turbo down, leading to a slow buildup in peak boost pressure, otherwise known as boost creep. This ultimately leads to an overboost condition, usually exhibited by a CEL and fuel cut (your car suddenly lurches and dies or cuts out and back in at full throttle.....a horrible experience believe me!!!!)

The only way around this is to
1. enlarge the wastegate hole (porting the wastegate and some shops call this porting the turbo..so be clear what you are asking/getting)
2. increase the exhaust backpressure (high flow cat or keep the stock catback with a catless DP)
3 or use an external wastegate.

Of the 3, the external WG is probably the best as you can buy one that controls boost in both directions, unlike the internal wastegate the stock turbos come with. Plus the sound it makes is awesome! Of course, this will mean removing the internal wastegate, so this application will usually be found on a larger turbo upgrade. Another good question to ask if considering a larger turbo...does it have an internal wastegate. If you are going external, of course you don't want an internal wastegate.

Personally, I've always erred on the side of caution and used a DP with a HF cat. No boost creep to date with this setup (on my STi and Legacy). Prior to the HF cat though, I did experience boost creep at a track day once. It is not something I enjoyed as I thought my STi had blown it's engine. Luckily for me, it was just overboost followed by fuel cut.

I have not personally verified using a catless DP with the stock catback exhaust to ensure creep does not occur, but it makes sense so I suspect it will work the same as a catless DP. I prefer the HF cat route though, as it is still emissions friendly and precludes having to swap the stock DP back in to pass emissions. The HP loss is negligable so I consider it the best of both worlds.

I've put in a pic (thanks to JSC Speed) of an internal shot of the turbo showing the wastegate. What you can see in the lower right corner of the turbo is the back of the wastegate valve. In shape, it is basically similar to what you would find as a lid on a garbage can, and this pic would be the top of the lid with the lid hinge off to the right.

Comments welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for explaining this, I just installed a vf39 with the utec stage 4 map today. The car was being overboosted I guess since it was doing that thing were it shuts down for second in the middle of excelerating, really sucks, feels like your going to break the tranny! I noticed that the utec stage 4 is set at 18 psi, this kinda sounds like alot doesn't it? I turned the boost down a bit and it got a little better so I turned it down some more and seems to be working great. The car hauls ass!
I have a turboxs turbo back exhaust system that has one cat in the middle, turboxs uppipe, stock intercooler on there right now, walbro 255, sti 565 injectors and a bov. Is it safe to just turn down the boost.
Do you know if there is an external wastegate for the vf39? Whats with the helper springs?
Oh yea the car is a 04 wrx.

#3 ·
I'm not sure this is boost creep or fuel cut, as when I experienced it, the car shut completely down.

I thought the Utec stage 4 provided for the higher boost levels. If you are still running a cat, the backpressure should be enough to prevent creep.

Have you checked your datalog maps to be sure your aren't getting fuel starvation. You've got the FP and FI, so it can't be starving from to little fuel, unless you've got a plugged filter.

Did you get any CEL's? That will be key in determinining the issue.

If you've already turned the boost down and it's running good, you may need to map it out cell by cell to raise boost back up. Then again, if it's running great and nothing wrong is happening, why mess with it.

Helper springs allow for faster and earlier WG action. On our stock internal WG, the actuator arm is helped along with spring pressure. Adding a higher force spring or another smaller force spring to the OEM spring "help" the acuator work. There is an external WG for your setup. Tial makes it. Do a search in the engine performance forum (use "tial" or "external+wastegate") and you should be able to hook up with some folks that have installed one.

#4 ·
lets say for instance someone was running an exhaust system (downpipe, up pipe, and catback) without any cats...maybe just a test pipe. would porting the wastegate work to fix this? and could you/would you port it with something like a dremel tool? how much would you want to open it up? sorry for the crazy questions...i'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to turbos and such.

#5 ·
You'll have to do a search to find out how to port a wastegate. I've never done it as I've always used DPs with high flow cats. Essentially, the answer to your question is yes though. If you have a non restricted exhaust line from your turbo to your tip, and you run a 2.5 platform, you stand a good chance of having boost creep. Based on what I've read, you can succussfully take care of this with porting the wastegate. Personally, I would go with a high flow cat as the small amount of HP you loose with it provides better peace of mind over wondering if the porting was done correctly or not. There are shops that will do this for you. I've seen folks use a dremel to port, but it looks very easy to overport it and thus loose boost.

#6 ·
I have a 2005 WRX wagon, no engine mods yet, except a K&N filter. I plan on going stage 2 as my first engine mod (Cobb AP, TurboXS stealthback catless, prodrive axelback). Soon after, I plan on putting in a VF34 turbo along with supporting STi pink injectors (and use Cobb map made for VF34 turbo). Should I go ahead and get an external wastegate as well to prevent boost creep? Or does the internal wastegate on the VF34 suffice?

#7 ·
bkzshabbaz said:
I have a 2005 WRX wagon, no engine mods yet, except a K&N filter. I plan on going stage 2 as my first engine mod (Cobb AP, TurboXS stealthback catless, prodrive axelback). Soon after, I plan on putting in a VF34 turbo along with supporting STi pink injectors (and use Cobb map made for VF34 turbo). Should I go ahead and get an external wastegate as well to prevent boost creep? Or does the internal wastegate on the VF34 suffice?
No you won't need an external wastegate with that setup, but I would recommend a quailty electronic boost controller. I got the Apexi Avcr, it lets you dial in your boost perfectly, it just takes some time to learn all the stuff it does and how to get it to work right. Only complaint about the Avcr is that that the boost is not in PSI it is kg/cm, so I made a conversion chart that I kept in the car to see what PSI I was hitting. It seems the car runs best just around 18 PSI (1.27 kg/cm). Another plus for the Avcr is that you can have boost start early for certain gears, I have it set at plus 1 for first and second, the car pulls so hard through first and second, I just keep thinking I am going to rip the drive train out. I have raced and beaten an 05 STi and an EVO 9 and embarrasad them pretty badly. By the way I am running a VF39. Good Luck!

#8 · (Edited)
My list of mods are: VF39, STi Pink 565 injectors, Turboxs Uppipe, Turboxs TBE, Walbro 255 fuel pump, one step colder plugs, Crucial racing colder thermostat, Ebay big TMIC, Apexi Avcr, Perrin inlet hose, Turboxs UTEC, (running slightly modified stage 4 map) Ebay special short intake with K&N. My car is an 04 WRX.

#9 ·
bkzshabbaz said:
ummm...despite the previous comment, I would recommend you lean towards an external WG with your proposed setup. There is a very high chance you will get boost creep with it. Note the previous poster is driving a 2.0 platform, not a 2.5.

#10 ·
rexdriver said:
No you won't need an external wastegate with that setup, but I would recommend a quailty electronic boost controller. I got the Apexi Avcr, it lets you dial in your boost perfectly, it just takes some time to learn all the stuff it does and how to get it to work right. Only complaint about the Avcr is that that the boost is not in PSI it is kg/cm, so I made a conversion chart that I kept in the car to see what PSI I was hitting. It seems the car runs best just around 18 PSI (1.27 kg/cm). Another plus for the Avcr is that you can have boost start early for certain gears, I have it set at plus 1 for first and second, the car pulls so hard through first and second, I just keep thinking I am going to rip the drive train out. I have raced and beaten an 05 STi and an EVO 9 and embarrasad them pretty badly. By the way I am running a VF39. Good Luck!
Mind informing us as to where you are getting your information from? A UTEC runs boost a bit different from a Cobb flashed map. Your setup is completely different than the one in question. Also, Cobb isn't meant to be run with a boost controller, although with a VF34 and a wideband lambda input for A/F to support quicker boost response isn't a bad thing. In this case though, he would need to go Street tuner to allow a custom map to support the boost controller.
In other words, please be careful in your recommendations. This is incorrect information.

#11 ·
As stated, the way to eliminate the risk of boost creep/fuel cut is to increase back pressure in the exhaust(Other than ported wastegate or external wastegate). A thinner diameter exhaust would accomplish this in addition to a high flow cat. These two variables slow down the exhaust flow in order to accomplish higher back pressure. In theory, would a non bellmouth/divorced wastegate downpipe accomplish the same thing? With that extra bit of turbulence exiting the turbo, wouldn't the exhaust gasses slow down in turn raising back pressure? If I am wrong, please tell me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
It's a decent theory, but he whole purpose of a divorced wastegate style DP is actually to smooth out the flow and remove the turbulance of the wastegate gases being reintroduced into the exhaust gases flowing into the DP. Theoretically, if the divorced section was small enough, it may be enough to indroduce sufficient backpressure to allow proper wastegate control. Only way to find out would be to try it. Alternatively, getting exact measurements of the divorced section diameter may provide the data, but I don't have the math skills to determine this.

#14 ·
It is a cost effective DP. As to it being a solution for boost creep, my best guess would be no. As I tried to outline above, a divorced WG DP should flow BETTER, and thus, would likely contribute even more to the creep issue since you would have less backpressure. I can't picture a manufacturer making a DP that is designed to provide more BP. My theory as to if it could help involved a consrictive flow channel for the divorced WG gases. I doubt this does that. Only one way to try though.

#15 ·
I agree with what you are saying with the divorce wastegate and increased backpressure. I'm not sure if i was clear enough, but since the wastegate is restricted with the HKS dp (flat plate design) would that provide more backpressure?

Maybe i'l just cough up the extra $170 for the helix catted and $50 for a cobb heatsheild.

#16 ·
I just spoke with a sales rep from Cobb. He said that a flat plate design will not work well with stage 2. He also said that boost creep should not be experienced on the 06 when running catless. He said that should boost creep occur (he said this usually only occurs durring sever cold weather), it can be resolved by simply adjusting the wastegate actuator arm. Sounds like a good argument to go catless. Any feedback?

#17 ·
No EMS can take care of boost creep. It is a physical restriction of the wastegate size.
Thats interesting because i had creep with my setup (04 STi Catless 3" vishnu TBE) and when i got my Cobb stage 2 AP, my creep went away. I'm not sure why this is either, because i am still seeing the same, if not increased boost levels. Either way, im happy that i am running smoothly again WOT in 5th and 6th gears. :)

#18 ·
WRX88 said:
I just spoke with a sales rep from Cobb. He said that a flat plate design will not work well with stage 2. He also said that boost creep should not be experienced on the 06 when running catless. He said that should boost creep occur (he said this usually only occurs durring sever cold weather), it can be resolved by simply adjusting the wastegate actuator arm. Sounds like a good argument to go catless. Any feedback?
I would not recommend adjusting the WG arm. Thats just me. They are a bit more delicate than they appear, and getting it back to stock adjustment can be a pain.

I'm not knocking Cobb, but the key word here is "should". Regardless of any programming fixes, it is the physics involved that can't be overlooked. I think that with the smaller turbo on the 06 WRX when compared to the VF39 on the STi, the chances are definitely less likely. However, there have been some reports of folks experiencing creep/fuel cut with the Cobb AP. I know for a fact my 04 STi did it.

If Cobb is saying that the WG adjustment (either the arm or the duty cycle) can resolve boost creep, I say it is actually merely limiting it, and in doing so reducing the performance potential. Not a big deal to be honest as technically, the fix I use (HF cat) is doing the same thing.

But think about it. If the WG size is such that even wide open it does not provide enough flow, how can adjusting duty cycle or arm travel fix it? It can't "open it more"...'cause it's already wide open. I'll be happy to debate that with anyone. The only real answer is an external WG.
My advice is to go ahead and install what you want to install, and if you do experience creep or fuel cut, deal with it then. If you are buying quality parts, you'll get your money back if you need to swap with something else. That is ultimately the route I took myself.

#19 ·
409industries said:
Thats interesting because i had creep with my setup (04 STi Catless 3" vishnu TBE) and when i got my Cobb stage 2 AP, my creep went away. I'm not sure why this is either, because i am still seeing the same, if not increased boost levels. Either way, im happy that i am running smoothly again WOT in 5th and 6th gears. :)
Good semantical point. I guess I should have said "No EMS can take care of the size restriction of the wastegate which is the main culprit for boost cree".

Glad to see your AP took care of it though. Like I've said. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. I never got creep until I took it to the track (2.9 mile Summit Raceway) and then *wham*, I thought I blew the engine on the main straight at 138 mph. I NEVER wanted to feel that again so took steps to address it. It worked for me. I still think that under the right conditions, no amount of tuning can prevent boost creep without affecting performance.

#20 ·
hi

i got 2,0L STi 265 hp europe version

i have 3" invidia downpipe and 3" blitz exhaust

the boost pressure is now peaks max 1,6 bar and it holds 1,2-1,3 bar and this is in ALL gears

is it safe ???

with stock downpipe it is around 0,9-1,0 bar and peaks too 1,5 bar

can you help me ? :S

#21 ·
YB, I think Ive been experiencing a similar issue with my 06 vf39 wrx. I have slightly enlarged the restrictor pill over what cobb said, and still have the issue. According to the AP, I am hitting 18-18.3 in 2nd-5th while target boost is 16.5 +/- .7 (psi)

Do you remember what trouble code was thrown when you hit fuel or boost cut? Mine was p0244 or wastegate solenoid duty: range. This makes me believe it is boost creep or hunting and not spike.

I was thinking about putting a 50MM HKS WG leftover from my rx on the up pipe and plumbing it into the DP. It would still work for any bolt on turbo upgrade. And it looks so friggin easy to do compared to what Im used to. Plus I miss that big wastegate sound:sadwave:

#22 ·
I can't recall exactly what the code was, but I believe that was it (an EVO owner had a code reader at the track thank god!).

If you are going to an alternative wg, and will be plumbing it back, 50 MM is definetly large enough (I think the tien WG that most folks use is like 41-42MM). Of course, you can also plumb it to atmosphere if you don't mind the noise!:whoa:

Obviously you'll need to adjust/tune for it, as it is the physical regulator of your boost.

#24 ·
YBNormal07 said:
OK,
I've been answering a lot of question lately about DPs without cats, fuel cut, boost creep, etc. so I thought I'd put a stickey in place. The following is a simplistic explanation. Feel free to respond and correct any errors I've introduced, or provide further clarification. This is to be an instructional stickey, so more information is always better.

No EMS can take care of boost creep. It is a physical restriction of the wastegate size.

Exhaust flow powers the turbine side of the turbo, spooling up the impeller and compressing your intake air to your manifold.

To control boost, you regulate the flow of this exhaust by bypassing exhaust around the turbo once it achieves set pressure. The wastegate is the exhaust bypass around the turbo. As you close the wastegate, this directs more flow through the turbo, increasing boost. As boost rises to set pressure, the wastegate opens to allow exhaust to bypass around the turbo, slowing the turbo down and lowering/maintaining peak boost pressure. In reality, the wastegate is merely a bypass valve though, not a true pressure contol system.

On the stock system, you have backpressure in your exhaust line from the cat, resonator, muffler, and piping sizes. This works to keep the exhaust flow through the turbo to a rate that can be managed in conjunction with the wastegate.

Once you remove these items and free up exhaust flow (reduce backpressure), your turbo now has more exhaust flowing through it at peak throttle than it did before. The wastegate is sized with the stock backpressure in mind. It now can't flow enough exhaust at peak pressure to slow the turbo down, leading to a slow buildup in peak boost pressure, otherwise known as boost creep. This ultimately leads to an overboost condition, usually exhibited by a CEL and fuel cut (your car suddenly lurches and dies or cuts out and back in at full throttle.....a horrible experience believe me!!!!)

The only way around this is to
1. enlarge the wastegate hole (porting the wastegate)
2. increase the exhaust backpressure (high flow cat or keep the stock catback with a catless DP)
3 or use an external wastegate.

Of the 3, the external WG is probably the best as you can buy one that controls boost in both directions, unlike the internal wastegate the stock turbos come with. Plus the sound it makes is awesome!

Personally, I've always erred on the side of caution and used a DP with a HF cat. No boost creep to date with this setup (on my STi and Legacy). Prior to the HF cat though, I did experience boost creep at a track day once. It is not something I enjoyed as I thought my STi had blown it's engine. Luckily for me, it was just overboost.

I have not personally verified using a catless DP with the stock catback exhaust to ensure creep does not occur, but it makes sense so I suspect it will work the same as a catless DP. I prefer the HF cat route though, as it is still emissions friendly and precludes having to swap the stock DP back in to pass emissions. The HP loss is negligable so I consider it the best of both worlds.

Comments welcome!
how about DP that separate wastegate output from turbo output like maddad DP, it by pass the sensor.

#25 ·
Is boost creep a problem even if it doesn't cause fuel cut? Need to know because I'm going stage 2 on my 06, fully catless and i don't have a boost guage. Fuel cut is the only way i will know(but hopefully i won't) if i am experiencing boost creep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.