Boost creep / fuel cut - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost creep / fuel cut within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Daryl Nilsen Would bolting up just a cat-back exhaust cause boost creep? . No. Originally Posted by ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Nilsen View Post
    Would bolting up just a cat-back exhaust cause boost creep? .
    No.

How about a cat-back with a high flow cat? .
    This is fine.

Also is the Cobb stage 2 accessport specifically tuned for their TBE or can you run that with your own choice in cat-back/TBE without getting boost creep. Thanks for your help.
    It can be run on any exhaust/dp made by any other vender. You are welcome.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All I gotta say is YBNormal07 is the man, I'm glad hes the moderator for the STi threads cuz he knows what he's talking about. Hahah.
    Varsity Powder in the 04' Audi A4

I Support ClubWRX

I just love the subaru community. Plain and simple. Thanks for the compliment though. It means a lot to me!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Stupid wastegate...

Ah this is killing me. I've got an 07 STI with Tanabe turboback catless exhaust. I think this is the problem I've been experiencing. I reach full boost at around 3rd or 4th gear and the car just takes a massive dump on me. Check engine light and the flashing cruise control light comes on. I didn't think the 07 would have this problem due to the VF43 having a larger wastegate. Is this a O2 sensor problem or is the larger wastegate still not large enough? Can I hook up an external wastegate without getting a new turbocharger?

I also want to hook up my manual boost controller, aside from getting something like Accessport, do I need to do anything else?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CReyer View Post
    Ah this is killing me. I've got an 07 STI with Tanabe turboback catless exhaust. I think this is the problem I've been experiencing. I reach full boost at around 3rd or 4th gear and the car just takes a massive dump on me. Check engine light and the flashing cruise control light comes on. I didn't think the 07 would have this problem due to the VF43 having a larger wastegate. Is this a O2 sensor problem or is the larger wastegate still not large enough? Can I hook up an external wastegate without getting a new turbocharger?

I also want to hook up my manual boost controller, aside from getting something like Accessport, do I need to do anything else?
    Did you read the code for the CEL? That might tell you something.

Please hold off on the MBC until you have proper monitoring and EMS. Just upping the boost is a formula for things to go boom. If you have questions, check out the upgrade path stickey in the STi forum.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

I completed my SR*S catless turbo-back this week. Flashed Cobb stage2. Its been a few days, is mostly learnt now. No over boosting, spiking or creeping to date. YAY!
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

my soon to be set up

whats up guys..... been on clubwrx for bout a week now and bout to own a suby 07 sti pearl white..... soo i have already stirred up the modds that i want to do soo far..... i need you guys to school me on better or worse and wat i should do...... ok here it is

Access Port Engine Management Controller - $695.00
    ERZ / Tsudo 3 Down Pipe - $90.00
    HKS Hi-Power Exhaust / Carbon-Ti Exhaust - $467.50 / $669.99
    Rota Boost Wheels Gold - $700.00
    Glow Shift Gauge Package -Boost, Air/Fuel, EGT - $150.00
    TiAL 50mm bov - $219.00
    BF Goodrich G-Force Sport - $436.00
    K&N Drop In Filter Replacement - $39.50

and there you have it.... modds that i want to dooo soooo far.... will there be some serious boost creep there or wat? will i run lean, mean, rich?
    fill me in experts!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrannin View Post
    whats up guys..... been on clubwrx for bout a week now and bout to own a suby 07 sti pearl white..... soo i have already stirred up the modds that i want to do soo far..... i need you guys to school me on better or worse and wat i should do...... ok here it is

TiAL 50mm bov - $219.00

and there you have it.... modds that i want to dooo soooo far.... will there be some serious boost creep there or wat? will i run lean, mean, rich?
    fill me in experts!
    Some one should move this to it's own thread for serious flamage

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Some one should move this to it's own thread for serious flamage
    awww dog!

Banned
    awww dog!
    Just kidding!!!

Banned

Access Port Engine Management Controller - $695.00 Good
    ERZ / Tsudo 3 Down Pipe - $90.00 Own one so GOOD
    HKS Hi-Power Exhaust / Carbon-Ti Exhaust - $467.50 / $669.99 meh ERZ again here
    Rota Boost Wheels Gold - $700.00 Nice just remember tires are very important
    Glow Shift Gauge Package -Boost, Air/Fuel, EGT - $150.00 Crap Porsport is what I would go with and oil pressure instead of A/F
    TiAL 50mm bov - $219.00 No!!!!!! BOV's are bad Get a protune
    K&N Drop In Filter Replacement - $39.50 OWN NICE

fill me in experts!
    You will run rich inbetween shifts with the BOV. Cobb has good maps check out there recomendations

I Support ClubWRX

TiAL 50mm bov - $219.00

fill me in experts!
    Although the Cobb AP will somewhat limit the chance for boost creep, again, as stated earlier, unless you introduce backpressure via a cat in the TBE, or keep a stock CB, or port the wastegate, or use an external wastegate, you will run the risk of creep and fuel cut.

Might want to check the weight on those Rota's compared to the stock rims. The stockers weigh right around 16.5-17 lbs (can't remember for sure). For $700, I'll bet you are going to be putting on some poundage for unsprung weight.

As for your BOV, it is really a personal decision. It doesn't do anything performance wise, and does technically make your car run worse (in short increments), but if that's your thing, it's cool.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Although the Cobb AP will somewhat limit the chance for boost creep, again, as stated earlier, unless you introduce backpressure via a cat in the TBE, or keep a stock CB, or port the wastegate, or use an external wastegate, you will run the risk of creep and fuel cut.

Might want to check the weight on those Rota's compared to the stock rims. The stockers weigh right around 16.5-17 lbs (can't remember for sure). For $700, I'll bet you are going to be putting on some poundage for unsprung weight.

As for your BOV, it is really a personal decision. It doesn't do anything performance wise, and does technically make your car run worse (in short increments), but if that's your thing, it's cool.

kool thanks guys for the help sooo far... mmmmmmm ok i guess i could get a external wastegate too.... what size.. point me into the right direction! i guess since i'll be gettin the tial 50mm bov then i'll go tial wastegate too dunno wat size thou.....
    Last edited by mrbrannin; 10-02-2007 at 12:25 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    kool thanks guys for the help sooo far... mmmmmmm ok i guess i could get a external wastegate too.... what size.. point me into the right direction! i guess since i'll be gettin the tial 50mm bov then i'll go tial wastegate too dunno wat size thou.....
    Please read the stickey for upgrade path, this will probably answer your questions.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

thanks

yb normal07 thanks for all the time you put into this.this is great info i have an 02 with fp16g with tbh 3in all the way im gona go with the catted dp to build my back purssure.im gona have an exhusth shop weld on a high flow cat on to my invida dp.from what i read this should cure boost creep/ fuel cut right? this will work on the 2.0 right?thanks for all the help and eveyone else too.