Factory bumper to bumper warranty elaborations.
Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on Factory bumper to bumper warranty elaborations. within the STi Technical Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I just got my STi the other day, and I'm amazingly happy with everything (except the mileage because i'm ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    47

    Factory bumper to bumper warranty elaborations.

    Hello,
    I just got my STi the other day, and I'm amazingly happy with everything (except the mileage because i'm used to honda's 30mpg, and i've been zipping around a lot, showing it off to friends and stuff )

    My friend who used to drive a STi (upgraded to a '04 M3)
    said that the brake pads are actually covered in the warranty,
    and i've read a few ppl who have said that here as well!

    That's amazing, for starters, since they're brembo (i.e. quality part, but overpriced, hah)

    a) i'd feel a little more confident about that if more ppl would confirm the reality of that being covered by subaru..
    b) Does this cover the rotors as well?
    c) Any other cool little tidbits like this that could be brought up?
    (My friend said the clutch for him was even covered, even tho the dealership said that's not true, HE said they actually did cover it... and dealerships like to lie to save themselves money.)
    d) Can "better flow" parts (intake, exhaust, up/downpipes, BoV) be directly linked to turbo failure? I know they like to void warranty over stupid stuff, and can try to say "Your warranty is void." over that stuff, even though there's a law passed that says they can't void piece of a warranty unless directly related to the failure of a piece.

    Thank you all so much for the assistance, so far i've talked to a small small hand full of the people from here, and everyone's been great so far! At the honda/acura forums I go to (because I used to drive a teg.) everyone was amazingly nice, and I was suprised...
    Everyone here is turning out to be really nice too, it's great!
    (might be a little more cocky here though, because we be a tad faster than wee lil hondas )

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User ssssnake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boulder Colorado
    Posts
    31
    I can't answer your other questions, but my brake pads were just replaced under warranty.


    Quote Originally Posted by Geist
    Hello,
    I just got my STi the other day, and I'm amazingly happy with everything (except the mileage because i'm used to honda's 30mpg, and i've been zipping around a lot, showing it off to friends and stuff )

    My friend who used to drive a STi (upgraded to a '04 M3)
    said that the brake pads are actually covered in the warranty,
    and i've read a few ppl who have said that here as well!

    That's amazing, for starters, since they're brembo (i.e. quality part, but overpriced, hah)

    a) i'd feel a little more confident about that if more ppl would confirm the reality of that being covered by subaru..
    b) Does this cover the rotors as well?
    c) Any other cool little tidbits like this that could be brought up?
    (My friend said the clutch for him was even covered, even tho the dealership said that's not true, HE said they actually did cover it... and dealerships like to lie to save themselves money.)
    d) Can "better flow" parts (intake, exhaust, up/downpipes, BoV) be directly linked to turbo failure? I know they like to void warranty over stupid stuff, and can try to say "Your warranty is void." over that stuff, even though there's a law passed that says they can't void piece of a warranty unless directly related to the failure of a piece.

    Thank you all so much for the assistance, so far i've talked to a small small hand full of the people from here, and everyone's been great so far! At the honda/acura forums I go to (because I used to drive a teg.) everyone was amazingly nice, and I was suprised...
    Everyone here is turning out to be really nice too, it's great!
    (might be a little more cocky here though, because we be a tad faster than wee lil hondas )
    Boulder, Colorado

    2005 STI

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssnake
    I can't answer your other questions, but my brake pads were just replaced under warranty.
    Excellent to hear, because I also hear that the oem brake pads are quite pricey.
    It's not turbo lag, it's foreplay

  5. #4
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,220
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist
    a) i'd feel a little more confident about that if more ppl would confirm the reality of that being covered by subaru..
    What we or your friend say isn't really relevant. Check your owner's manual. Anything that's in print matters. Anything said does not (certainly not if it's said by me...).

    b) Does this cover the rotors as well?
    See above.

    (My friend said the clutch for him was even covered, even tho the dealership said that's not true, HE said they actually did cover it... and dealerships like to lie to save themselves money.)
    There's some truth to that... Businesses like to make money. Your best bet to make sure they make as little of yours as possible is to perform all maintenance on schedule (preferably on your own, with authentic parts only, and keeping all receipts and dates logged).

    d) Can "better flow" parts (intake, exhaust, up/downpipes, BoV) be directly linked to turbo failure? I know they like to void warranty over stupid stuff, and can try to say "Your warranty is void." over that stuff, even though there's a law passed that says they can't void piece of a warranty unless directly related to the failure of a piece.
    Any number of arguments can be made and if there is money involved, they likely will be made. My advice is to leave the car as delivered and perform all the scheduled maintenance in the manual at least until your warranty expires anyway. You've got a really nice car there, and it's probably worth keeping "as is."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  6. #5
    Registered User ssssnake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Boulder Colorado
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist
    Excellent to hear, because I also hear that the oem brake pads are quite pricey.
    I was quoted over $700.

    Seems a bit insane, as I can get Brembo pads for a Viper for $420.
    Boulder, Colorado

    2005 STI

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssnake
    I was quoted over $700.

    Seems a bit insane, as I can get Brembo pads for a Viper for $420.

    Viper...pshhh
    (I think the SRT10's look like crap.)

    And yeah, that's rertardo for pads.. I think once I can't get em under warranty, i'll be buying a different brand of pad that fits.... are there non-brembos that fit those calipers?

    another question I thought of... any subaru certified dealership should acknowledge my warranty, right? Not just the one that I bought it from?
    It's not turbo lag, it's foreplay

  8. #7
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,220
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any dealer in the country should be fine with the factory warranty, yes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  9. #8
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Best aftermarket pads I've used (perfect for street and track) are Ferodo 2500 s.

    www.raceshopper.com
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  10. #9
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,220
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are they dusty?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  11. #10
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,244
    I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe a slight bit less than the stockers. I tried 5 different composites, and they all dusted about the same. The ones that didn't dust didn't perform as well. I'm sure they are out there, but I have't had much success finding any yet (that don't cost an arm and a leg like a true ceramic).
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    47
    So I decided to stop being lazy and look through all the paperwork in my glovebox...

    brake pads are covered (says nothing about rotors though.)
    Also says that wiper blades are covered under warranty, hahah...
    It's not turbo lag, it's foreplay

  13. #12
    Registered User VVVV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denverish
    Posts
    1,311
    Considering you need a lawyer to argue about the law, and there are countless examples just on this board about people being denied warranty for things as stupid as mudflaps, I wouldn't bet on your odds of having the pads covered. All they have to say is no, they're abused. Considering my car came with bags still on the suspension, dents, and grossly out of alignment, and I was denied warranty coverage countless times, and then just ignored, do you really want the stealership to have it? I wouldn't even trust them with my POS winter beater.

    Chances are those brake pads, if covered, will end up costing a lot more due to coincidental failures happening just after you drive off the lot.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    Considering you need a lawyer to argue about the law, and there are countless examples just on this board about people being denied warranty for things as stupid as mudflaps, I wouldn't bet on your odds of having the pads covered. All they have to say is no, they're abused. Considering my car came with bags still on the suspension, dents, and grossly out of alignment, and I was denied warranty coverage countless times, and then just ignored, do you really want the stealership to have it? I wouldn't even trust them with my POS winter beater.

    Chances are those brake pads, if covered, will end up costing a lot more due to coincidental failures happening just after you drive off the lot.

    They're not so bad around here... my friend has had his changed and it was fine.. I'm also going to stand in on it, because I refuse to have them try and pull that **** with me, because they're if they think they will get away w/ it.
    It's not turbo lag, it's foreplay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •