STi with an 18g is SICK - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on STi with an 18g is SICK within the STi Engine Performance forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; Just wait till you get EM and race gas...

Just wait till you get EM and race gas
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcelration
    Just wait till you get EM and race gas
    The EM will never be. I have no need for it. Been their, done that. Check my signature.
    STi_This = Brian
    2004 STi WRB/Gold
    Farewell Stage V WRX

i am thinking to get 18G with TD06 from deadbolt, do i need to upgrade fuel pump and injectors? i have UTEC and TBE in my car right now.

where do you guys get your 18G?

Quote Originally Posted by kool168
    i am thinking to get 18G with TD06 from deadbolt, do i need to upgrade fuel pump and injectors? i have UTEC and TBE in my car right now.

where do you guys get your 18G?
    If you are at or near sea level I would HIGHLY recommend a fuel pump (GSS342) and in jectors to go along with it. Honestly if I had it to do over again I would definitl go with the TD06-18G instead of the TD05H-18G.

We get our turbos from TEC (turboengineering.com) - great quality along with being oil and water cooled. They have built me 2 TD05H-18G and a TD06H-20G.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

I don't know whether to choose Deadbolt's TD06-18G or TD06-20G. I am damn near sea level(+/- 14 feet above). I have a fuel pump sitting in my room and I am about to make my move on injecors. My main concern is the additional stress on the motor with the 20G. My tuner tells me that with a good tune, the 18G will not subject the stock motor to any SERIOUS additional stress, but I have yet to e-mail him about the 20G. What do you guys think...I don't want to sacrifice spool up(loosing a couple hundred rpms of spool up I CAN live with), but I also want great top end WITHOUT having to step up to a SuperZilla/Green.

I've heard Jerry say weird things happen boost wise mating the TD06 turbine with the 18G compressor, what these "weird things" are I have yet to inquire about...so that's why I am a little reluctant on doing that combo. It looks like the 20G will be the best for what I want, but I want my motor to last me and be reliable with the 20G. I am having Dan Harman tune my next set up, as he has already tuned my STi with the UTEC, so I know it'll be a good tune. Again, my main concern is reliability of the stock motor EVEN on a good tune with the 20G. Since we get crap 91 octane, I would assume that my daily driver map would not have boost levels over 21-22 psi. I know when upgrading to much more substantial turbo's you give and take, I just want a good balance in between....decent spool time + substantially more top end than stock + daily driver reliability.

Help a newbie out!!!

Personally I would shoot for a larger turbo with a bit more potential reason being you don't HAVE to tune it out to a huge boost number for high hp. You could get something like a 50Trim/Green and run RIGHT in the sweet spot in the high teens of boost.

You aren't going to see a huge difference in spool difference between a TD06 and TD06H wheel. I would suggest getting AT least a TD06H-20G at the minimum. Go with the Superzilla if you want a bit more topend without any extra lag. Remember about 90% of the spool characteristics come from the properties of the hotside (a/r of the exhaust housing and the mass of the exhaust wheel/shaft).
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

my buddy has teh 20g superzilla and its amazing. but he does have the utec and its tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by STi_This
    Nate, I thought you only had a 16g under the hood of that EVO?
    Not wanting to start an Evo versus your-modified-STi flamewar, but everything I've found suggests that the compressor on Nate's 16G (and every other stock Evo) flows very close to that 18G. The OE Evolution turbo is a little bit special - it is not a standard 16G.

-pace

Quote Originally Posted by davidm_sh
    If you are at or near sea level I would HIGHLY recommend a fuel pump (GSS342) and in jectors to go along with it. Honestly if I had it to do over again I would definitl go with the TD06-18G instead of the TD05H-18G.

We get our turbos from TEC (turboengineering.com) - great quality along with being oil and water cooled. They have built me 2 TD05H-18G and a TD06H-20G.
    i didn't want to touch the fuel pump and injectors, that's why i was planning the 18G. if i wanna go to get TD06 20G instead. what kinda injectors will be good and in reasonable price?

i didn't want to touch the fuel pump and injectors, that's why i was planning the 18G. if i wanna go to get TD06 20G instead. what kinda injectors will be good and in reasonable price?
    I can't speak first hand about sea level but from what I understand the stock turbo is able to max out the stock fuel system at sea level. So an 18G would EASILY beable to completely out drive it I would think. The stock VF39 flows around 450-460cfm peak while the 18G can deliver up to 600cfm peak. 20G is about 650-675cfm peak.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

Quote Originally Posted by davidm_sh
    I can't speak first hand about sea level but from what I understand the stock turbo is able to max out the stock fuel system at sea level. So an 18G would EASILY beable to completely out drive it I would think. The stock VF39 flows around 450-460cfm peak while the 18G can deliver up to 600cfm peak. 20G is about 650-675cfm peak.
    i always hear the word sea level, how does it relate to the turbo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Closer to sea level, the air is more dense. More dense air = better performance from the turbo. Higher up from sea level, less air for the compressor wheel to pack into the engine.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

just do a search for my username and/or username 'hotrod' on this board with the word elevation. It will tell you everything and probably MUCH more than you ever wanted to know in regards to that question .
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234