18G ON STI?? Possible??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 18G ON STI?? Possible?? within the STi Engine Performance forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; ok reading out the 18g compared to vf34 and i can see this would my best bet. Now does it ...

18G ON STI?? Possible??

ok reading out the 18g compared to vf34 and i can see this would my best bet. Now does it just bolt in any modifications need to be done? also can i just run it at like 10-13 psi so i dont lean the car out and get by till i get tuning

if im going to spend 720 plus another 200 on porting on a vf34 i might as well go with a 18g which i see is a good one to go with and be set. i think 20g will be a little to much

any info is appreciated

tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: 18G ON STI?? Possible??

Originally posted by NORCAL STI
    ok reading out the 18g compared to vf34 and i can see this would my best bet.
    honestly, anything is going to make more power than a 34, so if your going to compare the 18G to a 34 than of course its going to look better, but thats not the reason the whole 34 thing came into play.

Honestly once you get into bigger injectors/maf/EM/tuning that bigger turbos require, I think I would just go for the best turbo I can get, its kind of like setting up a killer sound system to push swap meet subs

Not saying the 18G is swap meet, and yes it would be a nice size( theres already 2 people with 20Gs on STis) but a couple things about the mitsu turbos.

1. theyre sleave bearing not ball bearing. I personally wouldnt take a ball turbo off my car to put on a sleave bearing turbo, its a step backwards, I dont care how much more it can flow.

2. they are not water cooled. I have heard that you can find watercooled 18G center sections out there but if you can find one I'll stand on my head Again, I would not feel good about taking off a watercooled turbo and repacing it with a non-watercooled, and you better get a turbo timer too.

these mitsus can flow but they are old tech, I would rather run a T3/T4 if I was looking at turbos like these

For a few hundred bucks more you can get a much more efficent and reliable BB watercooled turbo that will put out as much power, spool faster, and live longer
    Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net

Re: Re: 18G ON STI?? Possible??

Originally posted by Invisiguard
    honestly, anything is going to make more power than a 34, so if your going to compare the 18G to a 34 than of course its going to look better, but thats not the reason the whole 34 thing came into play.

1. theyre sleave bearing not ball bearing. I personally wouldnt take a ball turbo off my car to put on a sleave bearing turbo, its a step backwards, I dont care how much more it can flow.

2. they are not water cooled. I have heard that you can find watercooled 18G center sections out there but if you can find one I'll stand on my head Again, I would not feel good about taking off a watercooled turbo and repacing it with a non-watercooled, and you better get a turbo timer too.

these mitsus can flow but they are old tech, I would rather run a T3/T4 if I was looking at turbos like these

For a few hundred bucks more you can get a much more efficent and reliable BB watercooled turbo that will put out as much power, spool faster, and live longer
    Huh? T3/T4 turbos are about as old-tech as you can get.

Anything will make more power than a VF34? Last time I checked only the VF22 was capable of more HP that the VF34 in the VF series.

The best bet on the STi is new bolt on FP Green or Red for the 2.5L.

FYI, the VF34 will make more power than the VF39. I was actually surprised by how small it was when looking in Ryan's car.

You should also consider the Godspeed Spec S bolt on turbo, which Dan will be releasing very soon.

-Jim

Re: Re: Re: 18G ON STI?? Possible??

Originally posted by PPMotorsports
    You should also consider the Godspeed Spec S bolt on turbo, which Dan will be releasing very soon.

-Jim
    Or the Spec R (GT30R).

Re: Re: Re: 18G ON STI?? Possible??

Huh? T3/T4 turbos are about as old-tech as you can get.

Anything will make more power than a VF34? Last time I checked only the VF22 was capable of more HP that the VF34 in the VF series.

The best bet on the STi is new bolt on FP Green or Red for the 2.5L.

FYI, the VF34 will make more power than the VF39. I was actually surprised by how small it was when looking in Ryan's car.

-Jim
    the 34 will make more power than a 39? WOW, I didnt know that, thanks for the info!!!

Installed a VF34 today...

Looks like you didnt catch my other thread, Ive spent the last two weeks dyno testing the 39 vs. the 34, so yes I know all about it.
    And yes, we all know the 22 is the only bigger turbo than the 34 in the VF series, but I dont know why you thought we were only comparing VF turbos, he clearly said 18G(not VF22) and my statement"any turbo will make more power than the 34" was assuming he was planing on running a BIGGER turbo than the 39, not smaller, dont you think?

And yes, T3/T4s are old tech, Im surprised I didnt know that.
    they are old tech, I would rather run a T3/T4 if I was looking at turbos like these
    wow, who said that?

Your post was just unclear. I appreciate the work you've been doing on the STi. I'm going with a Godspeed GT30R kit on my EJ20. I think the GT35R kit is the only way to fly on the EJ257.

-Jim

Your post was just unclear. I appreciate the work you've been doing on the STi. I'm going with a Godspeed GT30R kit on my EJ20. I think the GT35R kit is the only way to fly on the EJ257.

-Jim
    yes if I get bored with the 34 the GT30 might be in my future

dans helped me out a lot ill go with his kit. what does his kit include and is it good for every day driver. i dont want the car to boost like at 5500 i like the way it gets full boost now.

does anyone have more info on his kit for the sti?

I love this misconception. Jim at TEC put it to me this way. What is the closest you can get to a frictionless rotating assembly? Ball bearings? Or a film of oil that a sleave bearing turbo employs? The answer is a sleave bearing since ball bearings still have metal to metal contact. Either way the 18G spooled faster than my VF22 and it spooled faster than the VF30. Yah a VF35 might out spool it, by only a couple of 100-200rpms only discernable on a dyno, but it also has a smaller exhaust housing and turbine wheel which effects spool characteristics the most. The 18G also outflows any of the IHI turbos substantially as well.

The other nice thing about the sleave bearing center sections of the mitsu turbos is they are VERY cheap to rebuild if and when they go out... [ahem] from running very high PR ratios as I did .

Really you will stand on your head ? Well get ready then. Here are just a couple of pics of the turbos that TEC (www.turboengineering.com) makes. They can make you ANY combination of TD(05,06,06H wheels)05 7cm^2-(16,18,20)G in a 18G compressor housing turbos that you want. Below are just a couple of pictures of the water and oil cooled 18G they built for me back on my 02 WRX. The best part about these turbos is the fact that all the parts (including the exhaust housings) are BRAND NEW! Not reworked/refurbed/reused exhaust housings that have xxxx miles of fatigue in them already.

They are great turbos and I ran my 18G at PR ratios of 2.8+ for 10,000 miles and the current owner has gone to trap speeds of 108mph (At 6000ft above sea level on it) running at PR ratios of 2.8+ for almost a year now.

Here are some links to the website with a few pics of the turbo. Sorry they are on geocities so I don't think it will let me post them here.

http://www.geocities.com/davidm_sh/
    Last edited by davidm_sh; 03-18-2004 at 06:44 PM.
    Stock 2004 WRX STi
    Java Black on Silver

Re: 18G ON STI?? Possible??

Originally posted by NORCAL STI
    ok reading out the 18g compared to vf34 and i can see this would my best bet. Now does it just bolt in any modifications need to be done? also can i just run it at like 10-13 psi so i dont lean the car out and get by till i get tuning

if im going to spend 720 plus another 200 on porting on a vf34 i might as well go with a 18g which i see is a good one to go with and be set. i think 20g will be a little to much

any info is appreciated

tony
    18g only if you plan on upgrading your injectors. Otherwise, a VF22 will have no problem maxing out the stock fuel sysem, even with an eventual reflash to lean things out a bit. And it won't be all that laggy.

Kevin

God
    I'm having a meeting tomorrow to talk about the future of the Spec R turbo. Hopefully we will find a solution that can be done quickly. I'm eager to get on this. THe GT30R hits full boost around 3600 RPM on the STi motor. Full boost being 22-24 PSI BTW on street fuel. Very little lag. Even on the EJ20 it hits full boost at 4300 RPM which is about same as a PE1820 and of course lays down 350 whp on street fuel.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

Originally posted by God
    I'm having a meeting tomorrow to talk about the future of the Spec R turbo. Hopefully we will find a solution that can be done quickly. I'm eager to get on this. THe GT30R hits full boost around 3600 RPM on the STi motor. Full boost being 22-24 PSI BTW on street fuel. Very little lag. Even on the EJ20 it hits full boost at 4300 RPM which is about same as a PE1820 and of course lays down 350 whp on street fuel.
    I am still waiting Dan ! As soon as you make the GT30 a bolt in I will be the first to buy one ! Keep me informed ! Thanx . Dave
    2004 STI ----- 11.66 @ 125.66 w/ 1.9 60' ----- 537HP/487TQ ----- 93 Octane/Water Injection
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

dan count me in on your set up. if you can e mail me some more information etc id really be interested and when you would have a release date and a price

thanks again

tony

Originally posted by Red Rocket
    18g only if you plan on upgrading your injectors. Otherwise, a VF22 will have no problem maxing out the stock fuel sysem, even with an eventual reflash to lean things out a bit. And it won't be all that laggy.

Kevin
    yes, ths should go without saying, Ive heard reports of IDCs in upwards of 90% on the stock VF39

i just got my 650 cc injectors pe for 525 shipped brand new, next going to get a fuel pump. im stuck between 18g and dans kit hopefully soon get more info.

tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast