Installed a VF34 today... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Installed a VF34 today... within the STi Engine Performance forums, part of the STi Technical Forum category; Originally posted by myloSTI did you need to port your new turbo? Specificly, the wastgate......

Re: VF34 ?

Originally posted by myloSTI
    did you need to port your new turbo?
    Specificly, the wastgate...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Installed a VF34 today...

Originally posted by Invisiguard
    WRX guys use the 30/34 with our size injectors I should be just fine at stock boost levels.
    no!

the "WRX Guys" are not running USDM injectors, they are running JDM 565 top feeds.

the USDM injectors are only in the 440 - 480 cc range, and are side feed.

This is why many of the VF22 guys are going static (or close to it) on the stock USDM STi injectors.

I'd be very wary of your duty cycle at WOT with the 30/34 turbo.

dR

[EDIT] you installed a brand new turbo, and didn't allow any time for break in?

Re: Re: Installed a VF34 today...

Originally posted by dark_rex
    no!

the "WRX Guys" are not running USDM injectors, they are running JDM 565 top feeds.

the USDM injectors are only in the 440 - 480 cc range, and are side feed.

This is why many of the VF22 guys are going static (or close to it) on the stock USDM STi injectors.

I'd be very wary of your duty cycle at WOT with the 30/34 turbo.

dR

[EDIT] you installed a brand new turbo, and didn't allow any time for break in?

Yes, the stock injectors are no match for a vf22, the only 2 people I know of running one are getting bigger injectors for it, which to me makes using a vf22 not very worthwhile

Im getting it dynoed tommorow to check A/F and idcs, could very well be close to max with them with the 34, we'll see.

Also, I had to run out to Fresno the morning after I put it on, so it got about 550 mostly boost free freeway miles before I really got on it, and remmeber unlike metal sleave bearing turbos that need time to wear in with the shaft, bb turbos bearing spins freely and does not wear into the shaft
    Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net

I Support ClubWRX
    Whoa. I didn't even stop to think about your post on I-Club, that you were installing these parts on a STI. So many people are putting VF34's on their WRX's, I was thinking it was just another VF34 equipped WRX. But after I read this thread, you get a big Thumbs Up from me.

Are you going to have Bill tune it when you get and EMS installed?

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Whoa. I didn't even stop to think about your post on I-Club, that you were installing these parts on a STI. So many people are putting VF34's on their WRX's, I was thinking it was just another VF34 equipped WRX. But after I read this thread, you get a big Thumbs Up from me.

Are you going to have Bill tune it when you get and EMS installed?
    No tuing here, this whole thing was just an experiment since I was putting on headers and inlet and gound a VF34 for cheap, if the AF looks good on the Dyno tommorow I'll keep it on until I get bored, but if it needs a SINGLE thing Im ditching it for a better turbo, VFs are not worth using bigger injectors/managment on an STI IMHO

I will be unpatiently waiting for you to post your dyno numbers here ! What is the max boost you can run with the VF34 before it just starts blowing hot unusable air into the motor ? Any idea what max psi is usable on the VF22 also ? I know people claim 20-21 psi on a 2.0 but what about a 2.5 ? Thanx . Dave
    2004 STI ----- 11.66 @ 125.66 w/ 1.9 60' ----- 537HP/487TQ ----- 93 Octane/Water Injection
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

Originally posted by dizastical
    I will be unpatiently waiting for you to post your dyno numbers here ! What is the max boost you can run with the VF34 before it just starts blowing hot unusable air into the motor ? Any idea what max psi is usable on the VF22 also ? I know people claim 20-21 psi on a 2.0 but what about a 2.5 ? Thanx . Dave
    Im sure the 34 would make solid boost out to 17psi in the midrange(though I wouldnt even risk it on stock fuel!) but so far I have gotten the it to taper boost to just under 14psi in 5th gear, this is about 2 psi better than I saw with the 39, but still if you absolutely want a turbo that will hold out boost to redline in every gear look elsewhere, even the 22 tapers to 15 at redline in 5th on the 2.5, so much for VFs

Cheep fun for now though ! Now I have all the supporting mods for any bolt on turbo I want ......................... Now if I could just choose one ????????????
    2004 STI ----- 11.66 @ 125.66 w/ 1.9 60' ----- 537HP/487TQ ----- 93 Octane/Water Injection
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

...will be waiting for the dyno as well as the IDC readouts!

-Matt

Is it almost time yet ?????????????????
    WWW.F1DYNO.COM

couldnt test IDCs, they broke their logger, but it ran even more rich than with the 39! so it looks like its cool on stock fuel, but check out the spool! 200rpm FASTER than stock with headers and bigger housing!

headers and vf39

hp + 15.2
    tq + 31.4

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyno.jpg  

Holy torque!

im saving up for that turbo or vf23

Originally posted by NORCAL STI
    im saving up for that turbo or vf23

NORCAL,

I suggest doing more research on the VF23, it's smaller than the VF30/34. I don't know if there's even anything to be gained with a VF23. If you go with the VF23, you might as well go with the VF28 because I believe it's a ball-bearing version of it....assuming the VF23/28 family promises gains.

-Matt

yah im reading on it now. i think im going with vf22. i got 4800 back on taxes so time to start something now lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.