California Smog Test! Out of Stater Passed!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on California Smog Test! Out of Stater Passed! within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Written by Quicksilver, who just moved to California from Michigan. This is info for all of us Californians, North and ...

I Support ClubWRX

California Smog Test! Out of Stater Passed!

Written by Quicksilver, who just moved to California from Michigan. This is info for all of us Californians, North and South:

Two days before the smog, I swapped back my DP and Muffler (I had a Bosal DP and Scorpion axel-back (ie Prodrive). I also had my friend clear all codes w/ his hand-held OBDII reader. No codes were stored anyways.

I looked up shops on the internet and called around and picked the cheapest station near where I lived ($59). Some places literally charge over double that.

When I drove up I asked the tech a couple of questions: asked about the KN filter and the blue samco IC hoses. Once I explained what the hoses did, the tech said ďno-problemĒ. Itís very important to ask specific questions because the law states that the tech has to do the test in a certain order, so a cel will be an automatic fail, but the tech will perform the entire test, even when he knows you will fail due to the cel. But if you asked them BEFORE the test about certain things, it saves a lot of hassle. Also, itís a chance to get on the techís good side and to explain things that may seem questionable later. Once the test started, they really went into auto-pilot and it was hard to talk with them.

Since it was AWD, no dyno.

The tech placed the car in neutral and placed a rod to depress the gas pedal to reach ~3000 rpm. He had the sniffer in the tailpipe and the OBD scanner hooked up. The computer pretty much did the rest. They checked the gas cap. The tech asked about some wires which were dangling from my fuse box (I was in the middle of gauge install) , once I explained, it was cool.

I did not see them check under the car or do any specific visuals outside of looking under the hood. Defintely no mirrors. They scanned the barcode on the driverís door (to get VIN, I guess). Some techs started gathering to check out the car, a couple wrx fans were amongst them. One guy even said he saw a wrx on the drag strip take out a mustang (big whoopee-doo there, hey we know what wrxes can do). I tried to downplay all that and never gave them a reason to suspect I modded the carís performance, but I donít think these guys cared at all. They must do like 50 cars a day.

The whole thing took like 15-20 minutes. The tech printed out the report and the results looked clean across the board. Not even close to failing any parameters.

Like I posted earlier, this is w/ gutted stock cat (sensor still in), all stock exhaust, and KN panel filter, and blue samco IC hoses. Car has ~60K miles.

You can PM Quicksilver with specifics and the shop info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sweet, thanks for the heads up

I know you can get away with alot of things since they dont dyno it and put it in neutral. Love no AWD test stations

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexpl0it
    sweet, thanks for the heads up

I know you can get away with alot of things since they dont dyno it and put it in neutral. Love no AWD test stations
    Or you can just move to Arizona. If you car has OBDII, all you get is an electronic test. That means if you have no CELs, you pass. Pre-OBDII cars have to take the sniffer though.

ive never had to do any emissions or anything cuz they dont care up here but what's OBDII mean?

Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Written by Quicksilver, who just moved to California from Michigan. This is info for all of us Californians, North and South:

Like I posted earlier, this is w/ gutted stock cat (sensor still in), all stock exhaust, and KN panel filter, and blue samco IC hoses. Car has ~60K miles.
    Was that the stock gutted uppipe cat? and if so did you resister it?
    TIA

Congrads on passing and welcome to California. Technically the up-pipe really doesn't do much for emissions, because its a pre-cat. It only goes into affect when the car is not fully warmed up, but if it is warmed up there's no problems there. The only thing you would have to worry about is the downpipe area, if you have a catted downpipe you will pass, basically all you need is one cat and that's it (with no cel of course).

ha! way to bump an old thread!

either way i dont see why he was so suprised he passed...he didnt have anything illegal on the car!
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Yeah for real man, I thought it was heavily modded or moderately modded wrx that was able to pass CA smog!

Quote Originally Posted by nolimitbodnar
    Or you can just move to Arizona. If you car has OBDII, all you get is an electronic test. That means if you have no CELs, you pass. Pre-OBDII cars have to take the sniffer though.

hey im moving to AZ very soon to hopefully jumpstart my career...what is emissions like there and what is needed to be done to pass im s2
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I hear most (if not all) car dealerships will take modded vehicles as trade-ins, is this true still?

and since i am catless (ie... uppipe, turboback) (02 bugeye), what will i need to do in order to pass smog? without cheating of course lol

remove the downpipe, up-pipe should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboSmurf02 View Post
    I hear most (if not all) car dealerships will take modded vehicles as trade-ins, is this true still?

and since i am catless (ie... uppipe, turboback) (02 bugeye), what will i need to do in order to pass smog? without cheating of course lol

i just did the buy back program subaru is having.

I traded in my 03 WRX for an 06. They gave me $14,600 towards a new 06.

I probably would have gotten $15K+. But i had to pay for labor to remove my springs and existing exaust. Lukily i had my stock springs and exaust or they would have charged me (over charged btw) for the new stock parts.

Cool Just passed Smog and Inspection

I just passed my CA inspection and smog, comming from NH setup as follows:

02 WRX
    STI 2.5 shortblock
    Modded stock injectors
    WRX heads
    APS SR40 turbo
    SSauto FMIC
    Stock BPV
    Subaru SPT Intake
    Bosal catless DP
    Stock 3rd cat
    Bosal twin tip catback
    Catch Can
    Catless UP
    Protune

Time to go get my Cali plates and license

the tech who passed your car was brain dead,sorry but if you were in my shop i would HAVE to fail you,even though i love the subaru's its not a choice i will lose my liscense that cost me a mint to get and years of hard work,be heavily fined and possible jail time.

the test for AWD is called a TSI,its a 2 speed idle test,30 seconds at 2500 rpm and 30 seconds at idle (has to be under 1100rpm),you have 2 chances
    to pass a TSI test,if the first round fails it will run a warm up period then a second test.

there are many vis tests that we do and sevral functional test's,gas cap,obd2 etc.most you would not notice a tech doing as we are robots
    and most do 15-25 cars each a day so have to be quick about it.

as the first poster stated please speak with us in advance of a test,unfortunatly we are starting to be required to do whats called a partial pre-inspection so our ability to answer questions is being limited
    the partial pre at out shop we charge 15.00 then credit that back on a full test.once we start testing we cannot back out or tell you anything mid test,every thing we do is watched,timed etc.and has to be done in order

i am more than happy to answer questions,shoot the breeze or whatever about the car but if you are not completely honest about what you have done,and i find somthing i still have to fail you its not a personal thing.

uppipes and down pipes must have a CARB EO label,or its a fail,on a OBD2 car (96 and newer) the cat must be obd2 compliant,the sensors must be in thier origional location un modified,or attached to a CARB legal modification.

any CARB approved mods must have a matching EO label,the best place for them is on the part directly viasable ( a intake for instance)or on the hood,some parts have a plate attached to them with the EO (DC sports headers for instance) it must be visable

Quote Originally Posted by 02WRX03060 View Post
    I just passed my CA inspection and smog, comming from NH setup as follows:

02 WRX
    STI 2.5 shortblock
    Modded stock injectors
    WRX heads
    APS SR40 turbo
    SSauto FMIC
    Stock BPV
    Subaru SPT Intake
    Bosal catless DP
    Stock 3rd cat
    Bosal twin tip catback
    Catch Can
    Catless UP
    Protune

Time to go get my Cali plates and license

Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX View Post
    Since it was AWD, no dyno.
    So You can just take your car to any Smog shop? I thought that there was a certain AWD Smog Shop we have to go to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast