California Smog Test! Out of Stater Passed! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on California Smog Test! Out of Stater Passed! within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by BaLLiStiK If i have the full exhaust system i.e DP UP TB and all others, will that ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLiStiK View Post
    If i have the full exhaust system i.e DP UP TB and all others, will that alone be enough to fail emissions? Im military and need to pass emisions to get registered on base. Also the car will have others mods (i.e Intake,FP,bigger TMIC,ECU tune/flash,plugs/wires just to name a few) will that setup alone make me fail hands down? This might be a stupid question but i want to have the car pass with no chance of failing. Any help would be appreciated
    sorry dont know much bout the sub world yet still learning. Was just hoping for upgraded ignition/fuel system. Didnt know if all these factors combined would throw off emissions. As far as road legal what exactly isnt legal about that setup?
    If the car had a catted up pipe, you have eliminated three catalytic converters. If the car did not have a catted up pipe, you have eliminated two catalytic converters. This is not legal on any public road in the US.

For CA specifically any part that does not have a CARB exemption plus the sticker to say so should fail emissions. This means the intake is unlikely to pass, since it's been bought someplace without CARB if you're from out of state.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how can i go about getting a carb sticker?
    Blobeye Syndicate #84

CEL Question

Hello,

I have a 2004 wrx w/ a turboxs high flow catted downpipe w/ a prodrive axelback, and the stock uppipe. I took my car to get smogged about a year ago and passed with this setup (in southern CA).

So I recently took my wrx to get smogged in San Francisco, and passed the sniffer but failed due to the CEL (even though there is no light on the display).

About a week earlier I had to replace my battery as it couldnt hold a charge. The memory was cleared (all radio station programming/clock reset). I had only put 20 miles on the car since the battery was replaced and when I went to the smog place.

The technician thought this could be the reason it failed (I didnt mention the downpipe obviously), He suggested I put a few hundred miles on the car and bring it back, as that should give the sensors adequate time to collect data or whatever.

My question is does that sound like a logical approach/remedy or do I need to pursue this mechanical resistor fix thing. I am hoping I dont have to deal with the resistor given that I already passed once w/ the same setup. Could the battery dying affect the CEL error?

Any help is appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    how can i go about getting a carb sticker?
    Products exempted by CARB are issued a number and the sticker indicates this number. Contact the manufacturer of the product directly -- although whatever the product is, a CARB sticker is (or ought to be!) a major selling point so I find it odd it's not been affixed.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerwrx View Post
    Could the battery dying affect the CEL error?

Any help is appreciated.
    Yes. What may be happening is the tech is seeing a "not ready" because the car has not gone through enough cycles. This is intentional in the design of the system, as it prevents an owner from pulling the battery 30 seconds before the test to clear any legitimate CELs, then reattaching and passing.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks, I suppose a road trip is in order.

I Support ClubWRX
    Since the tech said the car failed but the CEL was off, and power had been interrupted, this means that no codes were stored so the failure is not due to a previous problem. This also means one or more sensors reported not ready so yes, give it time and drive it, and also turn it on, run it, turn it off etc. to give it cycles. I don't remember what the threshold is for all sensors to report "ready" but it's not terribly long.

Good info here everyone. New to CA (bringing a slightly modded WRX from DC). Anyone have a recommendation for some shops in San Francisco for smog and inspection? I'm willing to revert to stock if necessary, but want to see if I pass before going that far.

Also, if I don't pass, what are the top recommended Subaru-friendly automotive shops to do the work to put a stock exhaust back? You can PM me if you'd rather not reply all, appreciate your advice guys, thanks!
    I love my car, don't you?

Mods

what? Thats awesome what do you do just pay registration fees and thats it?

anyone on camp pendleton that can help me out with smog. i've seen tonnns of subies here!! just bought my wrx on leave and loving it. 'not new to the tuning world' but i'm new to the wonderful flat fours! maybe someone knows a helpful smog place?

Got my first smog check notice (bought a 2005 new) so wanted to test how badly I'd fail running a STi uppipe, Crucial Racing cat-less downpipe, Stromung race-pipe, tuned with Cobb AP stage 2. Failed the visual (no surprise), passed at 2500 RPM fairly well, and failed horribly (gross polluter with hydrocarbons) at idle. I'm going to assume the failure at idle is due mostly to a rough throttle release from 2500 to idle.
    Put on the factory third-cat section and passed no problems.
    Moral of the story: keep the third-cat (or any cat) to pass smog. It lives in my closet now instead of in storage two hours away.
    Blobeye Syndicate #75
    2005 OBP WRX Sport Wagon
    Stewart Warner Boost & Oil temp gauges / OEM 20 mm rear bar
    Cobb stg 2 / STi uppipe / Crucial Racing downpipe
    Stromung 2.5" catless centerpipe / Scooby Sport New Age centre pipe & backbox

hey thanks for the tips! i appreciate that, but the thing is this wrx came with an aftermarket downpipe and it looks like it has a resonator or a high flow cat...and wut sucks that it has aftermarket after the resonator..so i guess i'm going to have to find a full oem exhuast to slap on just for SMOG!! sucks! thanks for the quick response!

im moving form new york to long beach in a couple weeks. i have an AEM CAI and a COBB cat back and a COBB 93 octane map.i now how i have to put he EPU back to stock settings would i pass teh smog test with those mods?
    I also learned while playing around at my local garage with my COBB Access Port if you uninstall the performance map but the EPU back to stock settings and use the access port to but the computer in the pre-made COBB economy mode your emissions drop could this help me p[ass and you al too?

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact AEM and ask if their intake has a CARB exemption. If so get the sticker and put it on. If not lose the intake and fit one that does, or fit the correct Subaru part. There is a visual check not just emissions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234