SOS - SMOG Problems

This is a discussion on SOS - SMOG Problems within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello, I just moved to LA from Mass and the Smog guy wouldn't run the test on my car because ...

SOS - SMOG Problems

Hello,

I just moved to LA from Mass and the Smog guy wouldn't run the test on my car because he said I didn't have a series number on my intake. (I have a COBB SF Intake).

He also said I have to 'drive it' because I got it tuned. Wouldn't further explain what he meant by that. I can't tell if the guy is suffering from some sort of brain damage, or trying to send me some sort of coded message.

Anybody have any experience with either? Are there better Smog shops to go to for modified imports?

Best,

Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car is illegal, he's right.

The intake is not an authentic part. It has therefore not been shown to meet CARB requirements. There are two options: Call Cobb and ask for a CARB exemption sticker plus exemption number; the sticker goes on the intake and lists the number. If they tell you their intake is not CA legal, then your option is to fit an authentic intake or find an aftermarket intake with a CARB sticker and number and fit that. Either way you must have the correct tune for the intake and make sure all sensors report "Ready" (see below). The correct tune is not only for smog testing but also so that your car is not damaged.

Regarding the tune: If one or more sensors are generating a CEL, your car will fail emissions testing. If one or more sensors are not generating a CEL but are reporting "Not Ready" status your car will fail emissions. To fix "Not Ready status you can either drive the car or correct the tune to compel the sensors -- all of them -- to report "Ready."

Regarding better smog shops: You are actually asking for worse smog shops. I hope there are none. Bending or ignoring the rules opens the shop up to severe penalties and leads to increased pollution.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Regarding better smog shops: You are actually asking for worse smog shops. I hope there are none. Bending or ignoring the rules opens the shop up to severe penalties and leads to increased pollution.
    Thanks for the tip on the sticker, confirms what SoCal COBB just told me. All this trouble for a sticker...

I'm genuinely not looking for someone to 'bend the rules'. I just want someone that can explain what they mean and understands the parts they are looking at. Would have saved me 3 hours.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedimare View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the sticker, confirms what SoCal COBB just told me. All this trouble for a sticker...

I'm genuinely not looking for someone to 'bend the rules'. I just want someone that can explain what they mean and understands the parts they are looking at. Would have saved me 3 hours.
    OK that's certainly fair.

If you list the parts installed on your car -- all of the aftermarket parts -- I can probably help you in terms of seeing which parts will be a smog problem.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

OK that's certainly fair.

If you list the parts installed on your car -- all of the aftermarket parts -- I can probably help you in terms of seeing which parts will be a smog problem.
    That's very generous and I really appreciate it:

COBB SF Air Intake
    COBB Accessport (Whichever one was the newest a month ago)
    Invidia Q300 Cat Back
    Rims w/out air pressure sensors (Could this possibly matter?)

Finally, when all this was installed the shop put it on the Dyno and did a custom mapping. It's pulling 265 at the wheels. I'm currently wait for COBB to get back to me about getting the sticker.

Hoping to hit a socal subie meet at some point...Maybe someday I can repay the favor?

I Support ClubWRX
    That's very generous and I really appreciate it:

COBB SF Air Intake
    COBB Accessport (Whichever one was the newest a month ago)
    Invidia Q300 Cat Back
    Rims w/out air pressure sensors (Could this possibly matter?)

Finally, when all this was installed the shop put it on the Dyno and did a custom mapping. It's pulling 265 at the wheels. I'm currently wait for COBB to get back to me about getting the sticker.

Hoping to hit a socal subie meet at some point...Maybe someday I can repay the favor?
    OK so the visible issue is the intake, and you've already spoken to the maker of that part so you know the story from them.

The Accessport isn't an immediate issue IFF all sensors report "Ready." If you have a sensor reporting "Not Ready" or a Check Engine light then contact Cobb for clarification.

The cat back does not affect emissions. Provided all your catalytic converters are in place and operational, you should not have a problem there. It may (or may not; I don't know) affect noise levels but that's another story -- the emissions guy won't care about noise as long as the cats and all other emissions gear are in place and working.

So: sort out the intake issue, find out if your sensors are all reporting "Ready," make sure you have no CELs, and you should be OK.

I know meets are posted here semi-regularly (though I admit I don't go to meets; I'm too handsome and don't want to put other owners at a disadvantage). Keep checking for meets nonetheless and post back if any problems with smog etc.

So: sort out the intake issue, find out if your sensors are all reporting "Ready," make sure you have no CELs, and you should be OK.
    Can I tell if there are any code problems with the Accessport? I think I checked for errors(?) or trouble codes(?) once with it on my cross country drive and it was all clear.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can I tell if there are any code problems with the Accessport? I think I checked for errors(?) or trouble codes(?) once with it on my cross country drive and it was all clear.
    Yes, the AP should allow you to see if there are any CELs. I don't know about whether it can verify sensor readiness state though. If nobody else answers, either search the site and/or contact Cobb and ask.

OK, so the SMOG thickens...I'm sorry to everyone following this. I'm sure out of state SMOG horror show threads are the least favorite for California natives.

I went to another shop and asked him to do a paid 'pre-check' so I could better understand what other problems exist. He didn't care about the CARB Sticker on the intake because he knows it's CA legal. It passed the visual inspection from there, no CELs.

However, once he hooked up the machine...Things went very south. The following monitors are showing 'Not Ready':

Evaporative System
    Secondary Air System
    Oxygen Sensor
    EGR System

Then he also explained I should drive it...And they should clear up. He kept asking if I've disconnected the battery or done anything recently...The answer is honestly no. The Pro tune and all the new parts was done over a month ago....And over 3000 miles ago...So I have a hard time accepting the idea that driving 20 more miles will clear this up.

Any ideas? Of course, I am going to contact the tune shop back east but I called them once already and they don't really understand SMOG requirements at all so it's doubtful they will get it.

Help!

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, so the SMOG thickens...I'm sorry to everyone following this. I'm sure out of state SMOG horror show threads are the least favorite for California natives.

I went to another shop and asked him to do a paid 'pre-check' so I could better understand what other problems exist. He didn't care about the CARB Sticker on the intake because he knows it's CA legal. It passed the visual inspection from there, no CELs.

However, once he hooked up the machine...Things went very south. The following monitors are showing 'Not Ready':

Evaporative System
    Secondary Air System
    Oxygen Sensor
    EGR System

Then he also explained I should drive it...And they should clear up. He kept asking if I've disconnected the battery or done anything recently...The answer is honestly no. The Pro tune and all the new parts was done over a month ago....And over 3000 miles ago...So I have a hard time accepting the idea that driving 20 more miles will clear this up.

Any ideas? Of course, I am going to contact the tune shop back east but I called them once already and they don't really understand SMOG requirements at all so it's doubtful they will get it.

Help!
    Tell them and/or Cobb that you need ALL sensors to show "READY" in order to pass smog. This should be feasible in software.

I reccomend you put the stock intake on, restore the factory tune and remove the Accessport. Then drive it like 50 miles or more to reset the monitors.
    14 sedan Limited: AEM intake, Tomioka IC hose, Cobb AP V3, Invidia down pipe with 3" cat, custom 3" mandrel bent single exhaust, Aem air fuel gauge,Cobb knob,Perrin Pitch Stop mount, SPT front strut tower brace, K-Sport coilovers@1.5" drop.

07 Duramax LBZ- 26psi,intake, TBE, Diablosport programmer, Edge Insight with EGT, EGR block off, BD exhaust manifold, PPE fuel valve.