02/03 WRX or 06 WRX STI
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02/03 WRX or 06 WRX STI within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Ok so I have a few questions of concern and would like some help. Been a Mr2 Turbo owner for ...

02/03 WRX or 06 WRX STI

Ok so I have a few questions of concern and would like some help.
    Been a Mr2 Turbo owner for years and built 3 and ready to move onward to a new engine.
    Track rolls my 300whp Mr2 has smacked the hell out of some bugeyes so kinda of skeptical.

There are 3 02 bugeyes and 2 03 bugeyes and one 06 Sti that have caught my eye in my price range.

1st question what is the insurance like on the wrx and sti? No accidents or tickets. Arizona is the state and even get a military discount I go threw Progressive. ANSWERED STI $160m about $850 for 6m WRX/BUGEYES $120m about $715 for 6m These are rates with $500 deducts and loan payoff if totaled.

2nd I know the outer differences in the 06 STI and the 02/03 wrx's but what are the internals are they all forged? (I know I dropped a pretty penny to get forged internals for my MR2 main reason for asking.)

3rd What is the power difference in the STI and earlier WRX? also are there different Transmission Gears?

4th What are they're Reliability? millage wise and are they tolerant to abuse at stock levels or is it best to never hard launch?

5th Millage wise What would be the points to start replacing the timing belt and other services and there average cost?

6th and final for now.

Please no ( why can't your use the search?) (Gah another forum noob!!)

I plan on being a contributor just like I was in the MR2OC MR2 forum and I was shown nothing but allot of help and gave the same back!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1. That's a lot of money, sorry to hear.
    2. No.
    3. 227 HP vs. 300 HP stock, plus more torque, higher displacement.
    4. Never hard launch. The STi 6 spd is more robust than the 5 spd. Everything can break, but the 5 is much easier to break. I'd go for the 6, meaning I'd go for an STi car. My general rule is to look for a full service history and if I were to find an enthusiast that was really into cars and really into modifying them and enjoying their performance potential, I'd run -- not walk -- away from the car they're selling.
    5. 105K mile intervals on the belt. With belt, water pump, fluids, cam seals, crank seal, and so on I paid ~$500 in parts alone; a shop will charge over a grand. 60K intervals on spark plugs ($40 DIY; shops over $100). 30K intervals on gear oil ($50 DIY). The rest like any other car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Alright, I'll take a quick stab....

2. Not Forged.

3. STi has upgraded suspension (LSD's, DCCD, tough 6-speed, Brembo brakes, inverted struts, stiffer springs) and some extra power from the factory. STi has a 2.5L EJ and 02/03 WRX has a 2.0L EJ engine. Tough 6-speed verses a brittle 5-speed in the WRX. STi has larger vf39 turbo, WRX has a small tdo4.

4. Don't launch the 02/03 WRX hard or often, they'll require a little more care upon launching. Some people get away with it others dont. Overall reliablity of each is terrific, provided they are maintained correctly. My 02 WRX has 270k+ miles on it.

5. An owner's manual can give you all that info....or reffer to the encyclopedia of SD above^.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Alright, I'll take a quick stab....

2. Not Forged.
    Crank is forged on both, conrods and pistons are cast.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

The internals are not forged...mostly speaking of the pistons. But I've heard some STi's have forged rods and a special method of casting their pistons that makes them stronger. I've only heard of JDM models receiving forged pistons.

Feel free to correct me and SD, I know you're quite the Subaru engine expert.

zax
    The internals are not forged...mostly speaking of the pistons. But I've heard some STi's have forged rods. I've only heard of JDM models receiving forged pistons.

Feel free to correct me and SD, I know you're quite the Subaru engine expert.
    Fine, allow me to correct you.

Crank is forged on both, conrods and pistons are cast.
    Oh wait, I already did that

EJ205 - Forged crank (moved to EJ207 crank, crossdrilled on 2004,2005), cast rods, cast pistons
    EJ255 - Forged crank (crossdrilled), cast rods but strengthened over the EJ205 rods, cast pistons
    EJ257 - Same crank as EJ255, same rods as EJ255, pistons are cast but different quench area and piston dish from the EJ255
    EJ207 - Forged crank (same as the crank in the 2004-2005 EJ205), earlier EJ207s had cast rods later had forged rods, pistons in later EJ207 are forged and much stronger.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Oh wait, I already did that
    ...except you went back and edited post #4 which previously contained no information, but only after I responded asking for you to correct me. Not a problem though, don't worry about it.

EJ205 - Forged crank (moved to EJ207 crank, crossdrilled on 2004,2005), cast rods, cast pistons
    EJ255 - Forged crank (crossdrilled), cast rods but strengthened over the EJ205 rods, cast pistons
    EJ257 - Same crank as EJ255, same rods as EJ255, pistons are cast but different quench area and piston dish from the EJ255
    EJ207 - Forged crank (same as the crank in the 2004-2005 EJ205), earlier EJ207s had cast rods later had forged rods, pistons in later EJ207 are forged and much stronger.
    This is great info. I still wouldn't consider that "forged internals" in the sense the OP is asking. I would assume he's talking about pistons and rods as well. Only some JDM 2 liters had forged rods and pistons it looks like. I'm assuming those were on the JDM STi?
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 11-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes my "no" referred to pistons, I was not correct as to cranks, sorry. I didn't even think of crank, big ends etc.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    ...except you went back and edited post #4 which previously contained no information, but only after I responded asking for you to correct me.

This is great info. I still wouldn't consider that "forged internals" in the sense the OP is asking. I would assume he's talking about pistons and rods as well. Only some JDM 2 liters had forged rods and pistons it looks like. I'm assuming those were on the JDM STi?
    Ah you caught my ninja edit

Admittedly I reacted to your initial post before I read to what it was referencing...

Facebook me here

OH WOW!!! Happy to see a living forum!!!! only expected maybe one reply but so glad to see a thriving community.

BIG QUESTION FORGOT IN OP!!!!!! Is the ECU pnp for tuning or does it require Aftermarket EMS? If it does require an AM EMS for modifications it will be returned to complete stock oem parts if any are included.

Yes the insurance seems kind of ridiculous but that's ok by me as long as I'm covered!

I find it kind of dull fully knowing these car's are modifiable more so then NA cars that they are not built up. Lucky friend of mine who owns a 93T Supra said literally you can reach 600chp without upgrading internals but I guess it is and I-6 and allot harder to take apart.

I test drove a friends 02 and seemed to have what I want. Which is probably good info to throw out. I know I can't put money into mods without breaking more and more on the HEAVY MAINTENANCE.

So the goal is 4 seats mostly for the kid cus he love the MR2 but I don't like him setting close to airbags. check! Next is the thrill factor yes I know it wasn't build for top end speed but it can hug a corner like crazy (lol mistakingly my friend said I could take his car to Jerome from Prescott lol he drove back :P) I didn't really hammer on it but I did go 5500rpm WOT and It wasn't riding in my 300whp MR2 but it wasn't slow but it was the sliding in the corners and the willingness that the car had some forgiveness when I pushed it a little hard. I know I test drove another and strait line wasn't really meant for this car and after parking it the turbo manifold was hella smokey and the owner said ah that's normal. Retorted with yes um maybe you shouldn't let a good car go to waist and get it checked out. Needless to say the add was dropped from Craigslist and sold as is. Yes I am a maintenance nut So no worries there.

Buying strategy right now and please add to if I miss out. There are two dealerships that I am visiting for 5 wrx and 1 sti.

1. Maintenance Records? and if it has had a timing belt service. And any replaced parts if they are OEM or AM. Judging on the miles all are over the mark for it.
    2. OBV carfax
    3. Tires condition. Lol you should always get new tires for free always have on every car I've bought.
    4 If pervious owners where available cars possible driving habits?
    5 Are there any common problems with the car that are currently an issue?
    6. If the car has bolt on's are the oem parts included and was a proper dyno done so the ECU accepted and using the mod to the best of its ability?

The stock ECU on any USDM model is quite capable tuning wise. There are a few different method, but unless you're building a straight up racecar then the OEM ECU will be able to do everything you need.

I Support ClubWRX

02/03 WRX or 06 WRX STI

1. Only what's on receipts exists.
    2. May not get full story.
    3. Impressive
    4. Assume the worst.
    5. Gearboxes, paint, engines due to bad mods, radiators, and above all owners have been sources of problems since day 1. On STi cars add rear suspension.
    6. I'd be shocked if the parts came with the car but stranger things have happened.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.