Another CA Emissions Thread
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Another CA Emissions Thread within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Just got my '13 DGM 5Dr. Love it but, as most, want to do some modding. I'm not super keen ...

Another CA Emissions Thread

Just got my '13 DGM 5Dr. Love it but, as most, want to do some modding. I'm not super keen on particularly loud exhaust but also don't want to have to do swaps for emissions testing. Do the SPT exhaust systems cause any emissions issues? Visual inspections? It IS a bit on the louder side to me but if I can avoid emissions complications, I would make that sacrifice.

Also, I've seen a bit about warranty issues when making power upgrades. I'd assume as the SPT is a Subaru part, there are no warranty concerns. Is this assumption correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Howdy.

So first off, you will not be subject to an emissions test until around 2018-2019. Most people anymore don't keep cars that long.

Second the concerns you have lie with two different authorities.

For loudness, the CHP is the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), and the law you would be in violation of potentially, resides in the CVC (California Vehicle code) as it pertains to the maximum decibel limit an exhaust system can have. As long as the SPT system is quieter than the limit as measured at 3 ft away and 1 ft off the ground at 3000 RPM, you are good to go.

For emissions compliance, as long as you do not modify or replace your down pipe (the pipe that attaches the turbo to the mid piece of tube and houses both catalytic converters) you will be compliant.

No an SPT exhaust will not void your warranty.

My car is an 06 I bought brand new and I have been through 1 emissions inspection already. The only component they cared about was that the down pipe was factory. Also during an emissions test they hook up to your OBD2 port and scan your "Emissions readiness monitors" to make sure that there are no faults.

Pretty easy really.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the feedback.
    Regarding sound, I'm only concerned about it from an aesthetic stand point, not legality.
    Edit: had my last car (from new) for just shy of 8 years and only got rid of it because it was totaled. Fully intend on keeping this gem a LONG time. =)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.