Passing smog in CA, a locals take
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Passing smog in CA, a locals take within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; So my car is turning 6 years old so its smog time, just thought I'd share because there seemed to ...

I Support ClubWRX

Passing smog in CA, a locals take

So my car is turning 6 years old so its smog time, just thought I'd share because there seemed to be a lack of info when I looked. I was intrigued by what it would actually take to pass, so I took an iterative approach.

My mods:

Turbo XS TBE with Hi flow CATCO CAT
    Stage 2 protune flashed with CObb AP V2
    CX RACING TMIC with blue hoses
    FLAT PANEL FILTER

I had no "Smog Guy", just chose the places I went to off of google on a criteria of proximity and reviews. First place I went was a "NO pass No pay" place which was awesome. Second place I went was a franchise chain smog joint.

Attempt 1:

Drove the car in with everything on it, Stage 2 protune.

*Failed visual, but they were cool about it. They were fine with the TMIC (in fact they never mentioned it) and the blue hoses, but wanted the stock downpipe on even though my DP had a hi flow CAT.

Attempt 2:

Stock exhaust, but protuned stage 2 ROM flashed still.

*Passed Idle emissions, passed function, failed 2500 RPM test by a lot. Max CO allowable at 2500 RPM is 1.0 PPM and as measured mine was at 1.5 PPM. My protune map keeps the AFR's off idle in the 10.x-11.0 range.

Attempt 3:

Stock exhaust, Married AP V2 with Cobbs "Married Stock Mode v3.0" map and a different smog place (first place was closed)

Passed Visual, Function and Emissions.

Notes:

* It is important to reflash your car several days before your smog check otherwise the ECU will not go through all the computer diagnostics and you will fail the "Function" test.
    * First thing both places did was grab a flash light and a mirror and pour over the exhaust system from the turbo back. I had even painted my whole system with the aluminized paint 6 years ago so it had the correct patina and looked stock, but no luck.

My personal feeling is that my car would have passed the tail pipe emissions with the "married stock mode v3.0 map" and my aftermarket TBE w/CAT, which would have saved 4 hours of hardware removal and re-installation time, had I found a place that was more lenient on the visual portion.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Great information Jeremy!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    * It is important to reflash your car several days before your smog check otherwise the ECU will not go through all the computer diagnostics and you will fail the "Function" test.
    Romraider has an option to force the readiness monitors online. Does ATR?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Romraider has an option to force the readiness monitors online. Does ATR?
    I called cobb and asked because I did not see it on the AP anywhere, and the AP does not have that functionality.

ATR has the ability to force off individual CEL codes but not emissions readiness.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 06-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Through my cunning use of the itarwebz, found out that you can check the status of your emissions readiness tests by using an obd 2 code reader. For fun I hooked up my autozone $60 code reader and sure enough, it tells you the status of each of the 8 tests in an "Inc" or "ready" format. So next time I'll check with that before I take it in.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Through my cunning use of the itarwebz, found out that you can check the status of your emissions readiness tests by using an obd 2 code reader. For fun I hooked up my autozone $60 code reader and sure enough, it tells you the status of each of the 8 tests in an "Inc" or "ready" format. So next time I'll check with that before I take it in.
    Is there a name and part # for the $60 code reader? i'd like to get one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subaken View Post
    Is there a name and part # for the $60 code reader? i'd like to get one.
    Sure, Actron CP 9125 is the one I bought at Autozone, here it is on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader: Automotive

Here it is at Autozone:

Actron/OBD II code reader for 1996 and newer vehicles (CP9125) | Code Reader | AutoZone.com

The Actron CP9550 is an attractive option because it has a 2 line display that actually tells you what the MIL code is if you have a check engine light on, the CP9125 tells you the code then you have to look it up in the included book or CD.

For the purpose of emissions readiness, both the CP9125 and CP9550 actually display the name of the diagnostic test and its readiness level on the display. So there are no "P codes" for those, the display reads "Ready, O2 sensor" etc.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

hi 06wrx- thanks for posting the info. I also have a Cobb exhaust and the previous owner didn't have stock pipes. Do you have some I can rent for smog this month? In SF area. Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.