SoCal WRX FlatFour (F4) - Page 599

This is a discussion on SoCal WRX FlatFour (F4) within the South Western States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Originally Posted by Wheat wow thanks for the info! that is awesome news! I have an 02...i guess the only ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat
    wow thanks for the info! that is awesome news! I have an 02...i guess the only problem i would have is i have utah plates on it and to get my CA plates this year i will have to go through the smog process...
    if i have the up pipe, high flow cat down pipe, and the HKS exhaust what do you think would be necessary to replace in order to pass smog? or does the accessport make it possible to pass with all of those mods?
    I'm thinking the Econo-map or Stock Married Map would probably detune enough to pass. I don't know of any shops that are willing to "test only" for a reasonable fee. There are "test only" shop & "test & fix" shops. Because of the newer smog requirements, a lot of the shops had to upgrade their test equipment & it cost an arm & a leg. The shops, of course, would have to pass the cost over to the patrons.
    F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you will pass the sniff test with the stage 2 map. I know plenty of people who have done it. I even know people who passed the sniff test with the VF34 and 16g maps. you will NOT pass visual.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    you will pass the sniff test with the stage 2 map. I know plenty of people who have done it. I even know people who passed the sniff test with the VF34 and 16g maps. you will NOT pass visual.
    ooh, interesting. good info.

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz
    ooh, interesting. good info.
    yeah, Ferdie is one of those people.

you can pass with just about any well-tuned map with 1 cat.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz
    PM "rx4mj". He MAY consider selling his 16g. Good condition...maybe even new?
    thanks a lot for your help on that!
    do you think the 16g is the better way to go? over the vf34? I was just concerned because for the 16g to work properly on the AP you need to drill the brass pill constrictor, i dont know if thats a big deal or not?

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    yeah, Ferdie is one of those people.

you can pass with just about any well-tuned map with 1 cat.
    thanks blarg for your help man...so SAY you have a friend who has his own smog shop which i do, he could prob pass me off on the visual as long as the numbers from the test were ok, i dont think thats as big a deal as trying to give me bogus smog numbers. thasts good to know though that i could pass the actual test! thanks man!

thanks blarg for your help man...so SAY you have a friend who has his own smog shop which i do, he could prob pass me off on the visual as long as the numbers from the test were ok, i dont think thats as big a deal as trying to give me bogus smog numbers. thasts good to know though that i could pass the actual test! thanks man!
    if it works out, I'd like to find out who your reputable contact is As for the pill restrictor, it's something that will require a drill press or taken to a local machine shop. The turbos you're looking at are both excellent turbos. here's something to take into consideration though, the Subaru turbos (IHI / VF series) are not rebuildable. The mitsu's however can be shipped to a good shop & rebuilt as a big 16g or given new life as a different turbo (swapping the compressor wheels, etc)

I say go for the 16g & have a shop drill the restrictor pill with precision. I'll be putting in a 20g soon & will be tuned before the end of Sept. The wait is killing me.

do you think the 16g is the better way to go? over the vf34? I was just concerned because for the 16g to work properly on the AP you need to drill the brass pill constrictor, i dont know if thats a big deal or not?
    16g is a better turbo. Not really sure how much more work it is. I didn't worry about the restrictor pill because I was going to get protuned anyway. the restictor pill isn't a big deal if you have to get it out. You'll have to move the hose its in anyway when you swap turbos.
    go f*** yourself

thanks guys for your help, i think ill go wtih a 16g im sure it wouldnt be too hard to find someone who could drill the hole a little larger. they even give the bit # on the cobb instructions so i have the exact size i need. ive heard great things on the 16g and that would be sweet to have a turbo that if anything did go wrong with it i could replace whatever part of it without having to get a whole new turbo. the only catch is with the 16g i need to upgrade my intercooler size to work with cobbs map

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    it is a big deal, I had the wrong size pill in, i had a stock td04 pill, and my tuner said i needed an STi pill since i was running a VF39, he soldered the pill and drilled it out and then i got boost...
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.

Registered User volcomsoldier19's Avatar
    ATTN EVERYONE:

Who is going to the RENICK MEET?

1. JASON#1
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    So if I'm stuck in a rut or something, it's mostly because I made a wrong decision somewhere and I need to correct myself out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19
    ATTN EVERYONE:

1. JASON#1
    when?

edit// oh nevermind i saw the thread. i'll try to go to this one
    Last edited by snorlax; 08-08-2006 at 06:02 PM.

ATTN EVERYONE:

1. JASON#1
    2. Jon
    F420

hey ron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0DcffERYs
    Ferdie's car is in the video. can you spot it?
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

omg the girls in that video