Subaru WRX Forum banner

SoCal WRX FlatFour (F4)

949K views 17K replies 177 participants last post by  ansonowicz 
#1 ·
i think we need an official thread to post on instead of having all these random threads. MOD! PLEASE STICKY THIS!!
k now for the roll call
#
2. Chris #2 WRX13oy

#7,705 ·
Wheat said:
didnt mean to ask so many noob questions, i just got my car and love it and you guys seem like the people to ask, plus youre all in my area. hope its cool. ive been doing some research on my own as well.
i would go with a 16g turbo. IHI makes good turbos but the mitsu turbos will kick IHI but any day. i say that because the 16g is rebuildable while the IHI turbos, once they go bad, there is no way of rebuilding it and the cost of replacing the bearing cartridge would probably cost as much as a new turbo.

#7,708 ·
WRX13oy said:
i would go with a 16g turbo. IHI makes good turbos but the mitsu turbos will kick IHI but any day. i say that because the 16g is rebuildable while the IHI turbos, once they go bad, there is no way of rebuilding it and the cost of replacing the bearing cartridge would probably cost as much as a new turbo.
i appreciate your help, i am still looking through the options, the only reservation i have with the 16g is that i would need to buy a bigger top mount. All in all is there a bigger hp difference between them? what about the cost? Thanks!

#7,709 ·
you can still run the stock or sti top mount with a 16g, you just wont get the full potential of it.
16g with safe conservative tune will pretty much = a vf39/34 on a more agressive tune.
IMO you would be better off with a 16g running less boost than vf39/34 running higher boost if you are going for the same power output

#7,712 ·
Wheat said:
sweet deal, thanks, thats awesome news. If i get the map for the accessport for the 16g will that take care of my boost levels for me? as well as the tune?
so according to cobb, you would need a sti topmount for the 16g and sti pinks and TB exhaust. sounds like a pretty simple and good setup.

#7,713 ·
WRX13oy said:
so according to cobb, you would need a sti topmount for the 16g and sti pinks and TB exhaust. sounds like a pretty simple and good setup.
how much would it cost to find someone to help me install all of those goodies? I think i will just get the 16g and save up longer and get the STI topmount as well, at least i would not have skimped out anywhere. So with the accessport does that set all of my boost and ECU issues for me?