Subaru WRX Forum banner

SoCal WRX FlatFour (F4)

949K views 17K replies 177 participants last post by  ansonowicz 
#1 ·
i think we need an official thread to post on instead of having all these random threads. MOD! PLEASE STICKY THIS!!
k now for the roll call
#
2. Chris #2 WRX13oy

#6,280 ·
240toSTi said:
Hey, good DIY mods...I like the IC sprayer :thumbup: , you're right that Cusco made one, but everyone who buys those won't be able to say that they made it themselves.
thanks! but hey, I DID make one...this one is just better and more refined...and won't click every 5 seconds.

on the down side, I came back from Rim early because my car started mis-firing again and I wanted to get home while it was still light. I say the first stadium stage, got dyno'd, talked to all the vendors I needed to....caught up with the ONE OTHER F4 MEMBER WHO ACTUALLY DRAGGED HIS ASS DOWN THERE, and went home while it was still light...hopefully I can get this mis-fire sorted out...I bought a coil back on ebay, and I was about to get some colder plugs for the new turbo anyway...so we'll see if that fixes it. Then onto the clutch.

After talking to everyone at Rim (including some of the guys that actually build the cars in the event) and they all run stock flywheels..they talked me out of getting anything even a few pounds lighter. So looks like just a new clutch for me...:cool: which is fine because I REALLY wasn't looking forward to spending another $400 on a flywheel.

#6,281 ·
blarg said:
thanks! but hey, I DID make one...this one is just better and more refined...and won't click every 5 seconds.

on the down side, I came back from Rim early because my car started mis-firing again and I wanted to get home while it was still light. I say the first stadium stage, got dyno'd, talked to all the vendors I needed to....caught up with the ONE OTHER F4 MEMBER WHO ACTUALLY DRAGGED HIS ASS DOWN THERE, and went home while it was still light...hopefully I can get this mis-fire sorted out...I bought a coil back on ebay, and I was about to get some colder plugs for the new turbo anyway...so we'll see if that fixes it. Then onto the clutch.

After talking to everyone at Rim (including some of the guys that actually build the cars in the event) and they all run stock flywheels..they talked me out of getting anything even a few pounds lighter. So looks like just a new clutch for me...:cool: which is fine because I REALLY wasn't looking forward to spending another $400 on a flywheel.
price range should be around 200-250 for an aftermarket flywheel even though they're roughly around 15 lbs.. of course if you were to keep your stock one, it'd be good to resurface that as well since you have it out in the open anyway.. or if you'd like get a new stock flywheel<i have no idea how much those cost>

#6,283 ·
subaru3169 said:
price range should be around 200-250 for an aftermarket flywheel even though they're roughly around 15 lbs.. of course if you were to keep your stock one, it'd be good to resurface that as well since you have it out in the open anyway.. or if you'd like get a new stock flywheel<i have no idea how much those cost>
everyone at Rim said don't even worry about resurfacing...if I'm the kind of driver that knows how to get almost 100k on a clutch, there's probably nothing wrong with the flywheel...resurfacing is actually NOT good because it changes the heat properties of the flywheel...if the surface is not good, replace it.

#6,284 ·
blarg said:
everyone at Rim said don't even worry about resurfacing...if I'm the kind of driver that knows how to get almost 100k on a clutch, there's probably nothing wrong with the flywheel...resurfacing is actually NOT good because it changes the heat properties of the flywheel...if the surface is not good, replace it.
uh-oh.. i did mine.. hmm however, i'm pretty sure it was the stock clutch that had it beat so bad in the first place.. the resurface place was like, "OMG what did you do??":screwy: :screwy:

but ya, i'll be replacing a whole flywheel on my next clutch job

#6,288 ·
subaru3169 said:
uh-oh.. i did mine.. hmm however, i'm pretty sure it was the stock clutch that had it beat so bad in the first place.. the resurface place was like, "OMG what did you do??":screwy: :screwy:

but ya, i'll be replacing a whole flywheel on my next clutch job
yeah they were all very big on proper heat transfer from the clutch disc to the flywheel...apparently that's very important for consistent and reliable operation. and you don't want to monkey with that stuff. :confused:

#6,290 ·
blarg said:
yeah they were all very big on proper heat transfer from the clutch disc to the flywheel...apparently that's very important for consistent and reliable operation. and you don't want to monkey with that stuff. :confused:
so what would happen if i got a lighter flywheel? i'm planning on my clutch and flywheel to be act btw.. wouldn't a lighter one just give me a faster response? or is there anything else involved, such as heat?

#6,291 ·
subaru3169 said:
so what would happen if i got a lighter flywheel? i'm planning on my clutch and flywheel to be act btw.. wouldn't a lighter one just give me a faster response? or is there anything else involved, such as heat?
lighter flywheels have less metal...so they absorb/dissipate heat differently. they don't make any power, they just chance your ability to rev up/down a little faster. I guess its a driving style preference...oh, and light flywheels throw CEL's.

By the way, Cobb had a supercharged B9 there...and it was really cool! They made their own body kit too...it was teh hotness...my girlfriend wants one now. Cobb is gauging interest in the kit. its a bolt-on supercharger/intercooler that should make somewhere in the 315 HP range.

#6,292 ·
blarg said:
lighter flywheels have less metal...so they absorb/dissipate heat differently. they don't make any power, they just chance your ability to rev up/down a little faster. I guess its a driving style preference...oh, and light flywheels throw CEL's.

By the way, Cobb had a supercharged B9 there...and it was really cool! They made their own body kit too...it was teh hotness...my girlfriend wants one now. Cobb is gauging interest in the kit. its a bolt-on supercharger/intercooler that should make somewhere in the 315 HP range.
any way to fix that one?

#6,293 ·
subaru3169 said:
any way to fix that one?
the cel? no. its a quirk of the crank position sensor. the STi's have 2 sensors and don't throw CEL's, but all the WRX's get em and there's no way around it...its NOT a CEL you want to disable because its an important one to be aware of when something DOES do wrong. the lighter the flywheels the more CEL's you get.

#6,294 ·
blarg said:
the cel? no. its a quirk of the crank position sensor. the STi's have 2 sensors and don't throw CEL's, but all the WRX's get em and there's no way around it...its NOT a CEL you want to disable because its an important one to be aware of when something DOES do wrong. the lighter the flywheels the more CEL's you get.
interesting.. i'm a little torn between which one i should get next time.. any suggestions for a completely stock car like mine? plus the cel only goes on during shifting right?

#6,295 ·
subaru3169 said:
interesting.. i'm a little torn between which one i should get next time.. any suggestions for a completely stock car like mine? plus the cel only goes on during shifting right?
no idea...I haven't installed one....do a search n00b :p I think the cel is persistent, once it trips you have to reset it. on a stock car I wouldn't bother with a lighter flywheel. its gonna be hell to drive without A LOT of power.

#6,296 ·
blarg said:
no idea...I haven't installed one....do a search n00b :p I think the cel is persistent, once it trips you have to reset it. on a stock car I wouldn't bother with a lighter flywheel. its gonna be hell to drive without A LOT of power.
point taken:baaa: :baaa: <i think you're the first one who's ever called me a n00b haha>

#6,297 ·
JBee said:
i have to let my car sleep over the weekend, gotta new sticker plates.

does anyone know where i can my car smog - i know i would pay, does anyone?
Do you really have to get it smogged? I thought you don't have to do so for 5 years on a new car. I havn't gott'n mine smogged and it was purchased in september of 01.