Subaru WRX Forum banner

SoCal WRX FlatFour (F4)

949K views 17K replies 177 participants last post by  ansonowicz 
#1 ·
i think we need an official thread to post on instead of having all these random threads. MOD! PLEASE STICKY THIS!!
k now for the roll call
#
2. Chris #2 WRX13oy

#2,956 ·
awesome new stickers and numbers, now i don't feel like a n00b anymore

but yeah peter i feel you on the members bit, i would like to get to know the older members better, it'd be cool to have a meet with every member there, not just the newer ones

#2,958 ·
hahahaah hey hey *****es im still here i just like to read more... i recenly learned how to read so im taking full advantage of it.

hahhaah see u guys next meet ill install all of ur needs..

paul is broke~ pls send donations to my glove compartment

#2,960 ·
yeah im here too..Im just trying to put all my time into work to get cash asap. I know how me no being there and here wh0reing affects the whole group. Im down to go to the flats even if i have no subie. :)

#2,962 ·
WRX13oy said:
we should have another mandatory meet
But where is the question. We always end up loafing around some parking lot some where. I think we need to have an agenda, and with so many of us it is somewhat hard to accomadate. How about another Dromo? I know alot of new members have not gone yet and the ones who have , it's been a while. Or we can revive that BBQ meet thing, that would give everyone enough space to mingle with both old and new. Ideas for more meets and what to do at them would be great.

#2,964 ·
JBee said:
nah... it wouldnt fit. im piss.. i tink ima settle down for some s-tech springs...

im down for another meet.

Are you thinking of just dumping the hell out of it? :thumbup:
I got the tools to install them for you if you need help.

#2,967 ·
JBee said:
i was thinking about that if i ever have coilovers. i might settle for some springs for now. :(

ill let you know. once i have it. gottta find someone who has for sale though.....
Average price out there is $200. I see them on ebay quite often:

Tein Stech

#2,968 ·
volcomsoldier19 said:
i'm down to host another install meet and probably we can bbq also....
Was your dad upset over the grease marks I left behind? I really wish I could have scrubbed them up. If you want to host it again, you rock.

#2,972 ·
so the other day i was changing my oil and noticed some seepage towards the rear of my trans, i checked it out and it was trans fluid that had leaked, but from where? to me it seemed to be the shifter housing seal, the first thing that came to my mind was the issue of aftermarket downpipes being too hot and melting this seal, **** i thought, but then i remembered the 60 k powertrain warranty and took it to renick and they replaced the seal at no cost and only took 4 hours for them to do, now my next question is

I want to wrap my downpipe, i want to do it my self is it hard to do, who has done it? who can help me?

#2,974 ·
volcomsoldier19 said:
I want to wrap my downpipe, i want to do it my self is it hard to do, who has done it? who can help me?
I've wrapped my downpipe and it's easy. The hard part is dealing with the stink when you wrap it. Here's what I did & I'll be glad to help out. This is what I did using Thermotec:

WEAR RUBBER GLOVES & LONG SLEEVES!!

1) soak the Thermotec in water, as you're handling the wrap, you'll see fiberglass filaments floating around, so don't breathe too hard.

2) after about 10minutes, it will be very pliable & easy to work with

3) start wrapping it as TIGHT as humanly possible with 1/4 - 1/2" overlap

4) by the time you get to the end, use the thermotec clamps (small, thin, hose clamps) all throughout the pipe to keep it from coming apart

5) let dry for 24 hrs. As wrap dries, it will shrink and get even tighter on the pipe

6) re-install the pipe

Just a note, after you install the pipe & drive around, it will smoke under the hood for about 2-3 hours. this is normal, the insulation chemicals are adjusting to the heat.

took me about 2-3 hrs.

#2,976 ·
volcomsoldier19 said:
so the other day i was changing my oil and noticed some seepage towards the rear of my trans, i checked it out and it was trans fluid that had leaked, but from where? to me it seemed to be the shifter housing seal, the first thing that came to my mind was the issue of aftermarket downpipes being too hot and melting this seal, **** i thought, but then i remembered the 60 k powertrain warranty and took it to renick and they replaced the seal at no cost and only took 4 hours for them to do, now my next question is

I've heard of this happening to a couple people because of the exhaust temps. I used 50'x2'' to cover the whole pipe, instructions come with it and it runs about 40- 50$. I am pretty sure you are not suppose to soak it, just need to wet it briefly before you wrap that part (1 or 2 feet at a time). this will at least help it to dry in an hour or two. Let dry and I highly recomend getting the thermotec sealant like Chris2 suggested. I did mine pretty easily, but it will go faster wrapping it with two people to hold tighten and wrap. There is a store next to me that sells the wrap but not the spray, that is available through Summit racing for like 5 bucks in three different colors. I will help out also if you want. Deffinately a good mod to invest in, and helps greatly. Don't forget the gloves.