looking for a motor!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking for a motor! within the South Eastern States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys, I have a 2002 wrx. im looking for a motor that I can drop in it but I ...

looking for a motor!

Hey guys, I have a 2002 wrx. im looking for a motor that I can drop in it but I really wanna do the 2.5
    does anyone have any idea where I can get one for a reasonable price? Also if I do a newer motor will the
    diff control work?

thanks
    Leo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_02wrx View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 2002 wrx. im looking for a motor that I can drop in it but I really wanna do the 2.5
    does anyone have any idea where I can get one for a reasonable price? Also if I do a newer motor will the
    diff control work?

thanks
    Leo

Hi Leo and welcome to the club.

You won't get any kind of differential control without doing the STi transmission and ancillaries.

I don't know of a good source for motors, but doing the 2.5l block with the WRX heads ("hybrid") used to be far from a casual affair. I vaguely recall some more recent trick maybe though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

That's kinda what I figured but thanks for the help I guess
    i will just keep looking lol

Search Nasioc classifieds. Also search Ebay...find a seller that has good feedback.

Running the hybrid 2.5L block with 2.0L heads is fine as long as you have the heads machined by a shop to match flow.

If you're wanting diff control, you need an STI transmission (DCCD and controller) and all the goodies to go with that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

So if I buy a 2.5 out of a wrecked 2005 sti with motor, trans and computer.
    What else will I need?

Well what are you trying to do?

Sounds like you want to swap over the complete driveline as opposed to just the shortblock, which is what we were eluding to with the Hybrid build.

If you take the entire driveline route, you're going to need to do the entire wiring harness as well, which is a PITA, among MANY other parts. Not a simple task (or cheap).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Ok so my cheaper route is to get a 2.0 and build it I reckon huh?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Here is an explanation of what it takes to do the 2.5l - you use your current heads which avoids the wiring harness nightmare.

EJ25 Engine Installation Guide
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.