Exhaust Info
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Exhaust Info within the South Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Greetings everybody, I am inquiring as to the Exhaust Laws in Texas (Moving there soon). I am getting ready to ...

Exhaust Info

Greetings everybody,

I am inquiring as to the Exhaust Laws in Texas (Moving there soon). I am getting ready to purchase a new turboback exhaust and I just need to decide between Catless and Catted. Here in PA, I can get away with Catless, but since I am going to move I need to figure out if I can get away with Catless there too.

Any thoughts?
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Depends on where you move to, and where you take it to get inspected. Most big cities in TX will have more strict inspectors who will fail you on visual for being catless.. but my car is registered out in the country where they will pass just about anything as long as it doesn't leak.

Depends who you know. My cars always pass, for $100...

For ease of mind just get cat. Too easy to pull into the inspection and not worry about failing because of mods. You will fail if you don't have one and don't pay someone extra money

I second the catted, however I still hear the high flow cats will fail if they test emissions.

Either way, catted is the way to go, the catless downpipes can lead to boost creep from what I've seen around the forums. I've not logged mine that closely yet but once I have a free weekend to put some hard runs on my car I'm going to.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    On the other hand, catless is cheaper, provides better performance gains, and is more reliable. Boost creep isn't a concern on cars with EWG and/or non IHI turbos.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am about to move back to Texas in a year and am wondering the same thing for Brazoria County. I looked up a few laws of the sort but do not have any concrete info. I JUST read another thread about emissions in some places such as Washington or some parts in Colorado. WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!! If you don't want to look at the page, he quoted--

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    If you live in an area that does advanced smog testing.. don't waste your money on a catted downpipe.

I bought a catted downpipe a few years back, and had to go this month for my emissions testing.

At Advanced Smog Testing Facilities they test HC (Hydrocarbons) CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and NOx (Nitrogen Oxide)

My Catted Downpipe allowed me to pass HC and CO2. But I failed NOx miserably!!

Here's the important part:
    I spoke with the state emissions inspector (very nice guy btw) and he advised me that on WRXs... we have 2 cats in the downpipe because we don't have an EGR system. The two cats are used to break down the NOx. One cat would be sufficient to break down the HC and CO2 (just as mine was). But only our stock exhaust is able to break down the NOx.

I asked him how to reduce NOx levels without putting a stock exhaust back on. He said that NOx is produced by high EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures). Our turbo charged cars run a higher EGT than the standard car (1400degrees is common).

The only ways to decrease NOx are with alcohol/water injection, an alcohol fuel source (E85) or increasing the fuel / retarding the timing.

Retarding timing / increasing fuel would allow less fuel to be burned increasing the HC output. Alcohol / Water injection would lower the NOx level, but not enough. E85 would also lower the NOx level... but not down to levels acceptable for a 4cyl car.
    Doing some further research, I have read (but forgot the site to link) that deleting the cat is really a thing of the past and most modern cats are relatively high in air flow and removing them won't actually help a whole lot (unless maybe you are pushing some bad a$$ mods).

Go down that thread I linked for more info though on what people are talking about. I am just not 100% sure what applies to all the counties in Texas. I do know they do very from county to county so perhaps googling it and trying your luck (which I have not had 100% luck in).

Personally, my only plans for my WRX (when warranty is up) is CAI, Downpipe, AP, TMIC and TGV delete housing. Of course not in that order but for my daily, that is my shopping list. I just hope I pass still lol
    2016 WRB Limited WRX on order!
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

I Support ClubWRX
    And not a minute later, I found more info! Downpie Question again, the quote--

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    Catless will save you a few bucks up front, and maybe give you a few extra ponies(literally only a few more hp compared to catted), but in my opinion isn't worth it. I also weighed on the same thing when I was purchasing the downpipe for my car now. The thing is that with a catless DP you are more likely to get boost creep. Boost creep is bad, mmmmmmkay! Seriously though boost creep can cause serious issues to your engine over time. You CANNOT tune out boost creep. The only way to get rid of it is to go with an external wastegate setup. Which will cost you a good bit of money, not counting a protune after install. Not all cars will get boost creep from a catless DP. Some people never have an issue, but ask yourself this, If you get boost creep are you ready to drop another 1-2k into parts, labor, and tune? If not spend the extra couple hundred bucks and go catted.
    I was reading about the external waste gates earlier today as well. The set up would run around 1k and only give you 8whp but it looks like the creep boost will not be a good idea. Hell as my daily, my wife and new born baby would not appreciate a sudden increase in velocity while driving around the city. It is almost the same as flooring gas all the sudden for no reason.
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
    Yea that is true. I am just looking for someone who would be there all the time because I do plan on having the Rex until the wheels fall off. Even then I may Flintstone it.
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
    Yea that is true. I am just looking for someone who would be there all the time because I do plan on having the Rex until the wheels fall off. Even then I may Flintstone it.
    2003 Nissan Touring 350z

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.