Kansas Owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Kansas Owners within the South Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I know there is at least one other Kansas owner on here. Anyone else? I am from Garden City, KS. ...

Kansas Owners

I know there is at least one other Kansas owner on here. Anyone else?

I am from Garden City, KS. 08/19/2013 received a VON for a 2014 WRX DGM Hatchback with STi Short throw and foglight kit. ETA December but hopefully quicker.

Lets hear from the other owners from the Kansas area!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm in Overland Park, picked up my 2013 PBP WRX Hatch at the end of July. I love this car.

Since you're out in Garden City -- where'd you order yours from? I got lucky with my 2013 in that a KC dealer had it already coming in before I called, but I considered heading out to Denver since the dealers there seem to always have quite a few in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan0day View Post
    I'm in Overland Park, picked up my 2013 PBP WRX Hatch at the end of July. I love this car.

Since you're out in Garden City -- where'd you order yours from? I got lucky with my 2013 in that a KC dealer had it already coming in before I called, but I considered heading out to Denver since the dealers there seem to always have quite a few in stock.
    I called all over the place and even looked for used ones with low miles. I ended up finding the best price at Hueberger Subaru in Colorado Springs. I can't even find a used one with reasonable miles for the price they are giving on the 2014.

They were having some that arrived this month but non the color or options I wanted. I hate waiting but for the price it is worth it! Hopefully it won't take as long as the ETA.

That is lucky that you got yours so quick. Any mods done to yours or any plans?

Yeah, the stars just kind of aligned that when I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new WRX, a local dealership had one that pretty closely matched my desires coming in to stock.

No mods other than the fact the car came with the short-throw shifter already installed. It will probably accumulate some exterior mods over time, like a front splitter, for example, but I'm not really planning on doing anything to the drivetrain. At least not while it's still my DD. My previous car was a '05 Civic, so the stock WRX is already like 2.5x the power I was used to, and way, way more torque-y.. I do plan to track the car occasionally, so I might tweak the suspension some in the future.

In a few years I'll consider getting a new DD, at which point the WRX would probably become a dedicated track car. That's when I might start thinking about more power-related mods.

What kind of additional mods do you have planned? Maybe I'll see you at Heartland Park in Topeka sometime, if you plan on getting yours out on the track.

Kansas Owners

That sounds good. Trying to keep the warranty in tact is half the battle lol. I know some dealers are really mod friendly while others scream about a drop in filter.

I talked to the dealer about mods and he said they are pretty mod friendly up to a point. Pretty much Cobb AP, intake, and exhaust he said are pretty safe.

I had a modded EVO X before but with an 11 month old the tiny trunk wasn't really cutting it. Plus I didn't really need an all out track car when I just drive around town anyway lol.

I will see how the WRX feels and then that will probably decide what mods I do. First thing will probably be tint or DVD/NAV. I really like the SPT exhaust from the YouTube clips I have listened to so that will be in future plans. Then eventually Cobb AP and Cobb intake.

How do you like the short shifter? I ordered mine with that so hope it makes a difference. I will definitely replace the shift knob too. Did you do that or plan to? I had a weighted Blox shift knob and it greatly improved the shifts of the Evo.

Ah, yeah, tint is another thing I plan to do to the car -- I'll probably also do something about those clear taillights (to make them red, not smoke them out or something).

re: the short throw shifter -- While my first car was a manual, my DD for the last eight years had been an automatic, so I haven't had a very good point-of-reference for a long time. My friend with a 911 drove the car and exclaimed "Holy *bleep* that's short!", so I guess it must be! Either way, shifter upgrades seem to be a very common mod for these cars, so I think getting one done in the factory makes a lot of sense. For DD'ing it probably doesn't make much difference, hopefully it makes me a couple tenths faster on the track, though. For the price, it's a pretty reasonable upgrade, and although it's not like WRX's need any help with resale value, I'm sure it helps there, too. I will admit that the throw is short enough that at first I had some trouble being sure the car was in gear. I haven't considered changing shift knobs, that's probably one of those spur-of-the-moment things that will happen in a few years or something.

That's great to hear some positive feedback on the short shifter. Are you still on the summer tires? Do you plan on getting some all seasons or winter tires?

I'm in Wichita, and to tell you the truth there's not really a lot of subarus here, glad to see someone else reping KS! I spun 2 bearings and trashed my crank about 2 years ago and it has been build build build ever since! I have learned a lot in the last couple years putting everything back together!

Yeah, I plan on getting some cheap (used?) wheels and some winter tires (not studded or anything, but also not regular old "all-season" tires). I've heard really bad things about the performance of the stock summer tires when it gets even a little bit slick, and even though it's not like we're in Minnesota or something, we get enough snow and ice that you're going to have to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kylermabe View Post
    I'm in Wichita, and to tell you the truth there's not really a lot of subarus here, glad to see someone else reping KS! I spun 2 bearings and trashed my crank about 2 years ago and it has been build build build ever since! I have learned a lot in the last couple years putting everything back together!
    Nice to see another join the group! Maybe someday if we get enough of us we can have a mini meet. Are you getting close to getting up and running again?

Quote Originally Posted by jordan0day View Post
    Yeah, I plan on getting some cheap (used?) wheels and some winter tires (not studded or anything, but also not regular old "all-season" tires). I've heard really bad things about the performance of the stock summer tires when it gets even a little bit slick, and even though it's not like we're in Minnesota or something, we get enough snow and ice that you're going to have to deal with it.
    I have actually been doing a lot of reading on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires. They got excellent reviews and seem like a great option if you don't want to run two different sets. I guess I will have to compare the cost of steel wheels with summer tires and just running the Michelins. This tire really seems like a good contender. If I do get these then I can recoup money selling the stocks and have money for other upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by S20002STI View Post
    Nice to see another join the group! Maybe someday if we get enough of us we can have a mini meet. Are you getting close to getting up and running again?

Yup! Running good! Now it's more of an addiction than anything

Nice, that looks good! The way I look at it is that people spend money on all kinds of things. If your car is what you enjoy then nothing wrong with that. I know I will have to start a fund for some fun parts and maintenance.

I did purchase a set of 2002 WRX alloys for a dedicated winter set. I ended up getting them for 100.00 so that's not too bad. I think I will just plasti-dip them black. It would be kind of fun to go with a crazy color too.

Now I just need some tires for them!

i'm in Wichita as well and i just picked up my 03 wrx with 68k miles and have already put the 05 front end on along with the 05 sti wing. ive done some mods also now im just ready for my AP to come in to run stage 2. glad to see someone from wichita on here.

Sounds like you are making some nice mods to yours!

Just an update I ended up picking up a set of Goodyear ultra grip ice winter tires. It will be nice having a wheel and tire set dedicated for winter/summer. When they both wear out I may just go with an all season though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast