Contemplating jumping from an '11 WRX to an '07 STi. Thoughts? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Contemplating jumping from an '11 WRX to an '07 STi. Thoughts? within the South Central States forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hey guys, just posting the 2 I'm looking at, seeing about your input. Here's the first one, 48kmi and they ...

Contemplating jumping from an '11 WRX to an '07 STi. Thoughts?

Hey guys, just posting the 2 I'm looking at, seeing about your input. Here's the first one, 48kmi and they want $26.7k, and, yes, the stickers would go buh-bye:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...25620171&Log=0
    Here are some shots of the engine bay I got them to take for me, looks mostly unmodded, except for that K&N intake and the BOV, at least looking on my phone:
    Pics no longer in PB account.

And here is the other one, 57kmi and they want $26k:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24795276&Log=0
    I'll post pics of the bay when the dealer sends them.

Appreciate any more input, thanks!
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 09-24-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On that first one, I see a blowoff valve (and aftermarket heat shield which suggests aftermarket downpipe). Do you suppose that the dealer that is selling it knows anything about whether or not it has been re-tuned?
    David - '05 WRX

For what you want the car for, I'd go for the STI.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I would not buy a STi that has been modded unless I knew exactly with what, and who owened it. The stickers just scream BUYER BEWARE.

I was lucky enough to have an STi that only had the rims and wheels replaced when I bought a used 2005.

As for what the one poster said about the 2007 not having forged internals. If I am remembering correctly the STi's have never had forged internals, but they did have cryogenic treated gears.

Please don't quote me on that. I don't have a ton of time to do the digging right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    On that first one, I see a blowoff valve (and aftermarket heat shield which suggests aftermarket downpipe). Do you suppose that the dealer that is selling it knows anything about whether or not it has been re-tuned?
    Yeah, I saw the BOV, somehow I spaced on mentioning it, probably my irritation with the Sprint cell signal here, combined with the PhotoBucket aps occasional bitchiness. I sent the dealer a question about what other mods it has, the tune situation, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    For what you want the car for, I'd go for the STI.
    They're both STis Mikie, lol, or are you talking about my original post? I've definitely decided on going for the STi though, just gotta find one in decent condition, and not too crazily modded.
    Quote Originally Posted by power091999 View Post
    I would not buy a STi that has been modded unless I knew exactly with what, and who owened it. The stickers just scream BUYER BEWARE.
    Yeah, I'm kind of leaning away from that one a bit more after seeing the engine bay, though if it didn't go past stage 2, I think I could deal, though that damned BOV makes me very hesitant, especially combined with those horrendous stickers.
    I was lucky enough to have an STi that only had the rims and wheels replaced when I bought a used 2005.
    That is pretty lucky, maybe I'll have to extend my search to '05 STis too....
    As for what the one poster said about the 2007 not having forged internals. If I am remembering correctly the STi's have never had forged internals, but they did have cryogenic treated gears.

Please don't quote me on that. I don't have a ton of time to do the digging right now.
    Interesting. Maybe I'll have to hunt down and see if I find any info on that, I just know those 6 speed transmissions are beasts.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

No I meant I'd go for getting an older STI over your current WRX smart guy
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

If this does happen, are you gonna part out your WRX?...
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    No I meant I'd go for getting an older STI over your current WRX smart guy
    Lol, figured that's what you meant, and yep, definitely the plan. Maybe I'll expand the hunt to '04-07 STis.
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    If this does happen, are you gonna part out your WRX?...
    Yessir, I've been researching what'll transfer, and what won't, and my list as of now for the part out would be my Feal revalved struts, possibly the King springs with them, Invidia chatted DP, Spearco TMIC, Forge BPV, KartBoy short throw shifter, Rallitek swaybars(19mm rear, 22mm front), GTSpec front strut bar, GTSpec d-shaped steering wheel, SMY Cluster-maker, a window spoiler, some carbon fiber accent pieces, SPT underbody h-brace, Whiteline rear sway bar braces, and a Cobb short ram intake with box. Probably a couple things I've missed, but that's it for the most part, I think.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Hrrrm...... Still waiting for pics of the white ones engine. Dealer said the car was out for detailing and would be back Wednesday, emailed the dude and he said its still out. Pics will be put up soon hopefully.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I think I have found the hawk-eye for me! '06 with 52k on her, in WRB, all of ~300mi away, and all stock, except for the SPT intake. Going to check her out this next weekend, assuming nobody snatches her. Maybe I can make a deposit to prevent that......
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 09-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX

After owning my 08+ body styles.. If I was buying a DD or anything I'd never go back to the older body style again. Granted I have an 05 and an 07, but I'd not buy another or give up my 11 for a PRE 08

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    After owning my 08+ body styles.. If I was buying a DD or anything I'd never go back to the older body style again. Granted I have an 05 and an 07, but I'd not buy another or give up my 11 for a PRE 08
    I'll keep that in mind Bo, however I'm not buying it (or any car) sight-unseen. I'll be test driving it before I make any decision, and then there are the main reasons, that I covered in my OP, for wanting to do this.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    07 STis hold there value so well as you can tell your looking at 26,000 cars.. Im not positive here on what you paid for your car but it doesnt seem that the STi would lower much of a payment

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    07 STis hold there value so well as you can tell your looking at 26,000 cars.. Im not positive here on what you paid for your car but it doesnt seem that the STi would lower much of a payment
    Definitely noticed their resale value, it's crazy that a 5 or 6 year old car is still so much. I've got a limited, so it was about ~$32k OTD. My pay off is ~$17k, trade in is between $25-26k according to autotrader. Going to try to get closer to $27k since she is fully loaded, and I've been watching what they go for with higher mileage than mine (~16k). The one I found is an '06 with 52k, IIRC, for $25.6k. I'll have to double check those numbers though for the '06. There was another one in the area, ~8 hours away that was priced at $22k with 48k and it sold within a couple of days it seems, since its no longer listed now.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 09-24-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Pics of the one I'm looking at:

Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.