Need help with simple mods~

This is a discussion on Need help with simple mods~ within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi, I am driving a 04 WRB WRX and I need some help with few mods. If anyone could, I ...

Need help with simple mods~

Hi, I am driving a 04 WRB WRX and I need some help with few mods. If anyone could, I would really appreciate it, thanks~

1.) Has anyone changed their wiper blades? I saw some white/blue or other colors wiper blade for sale, but I just looked at the wiper blades of my 04 WRX, it doesn't have any screw on it, so how can i change the whole blade?

2.) I also want to get a mesh for the back of the front license plate so it will look nicer. Is it possible to do it? because I just looked at the mesh on the grill and it looks like there are locks that holds the mesh. Any suggestion or help?

3.) Is it easy to spray paint the brake calipers of the car? I was thinking of getting them red but is it better to take it outside to a shop or it can be done easily at home?

4.) Since I am total newbie to car parts, can anyone tell me how to change the head light blubs? Cuz I was thinking of getting xeon lights for it so it will be brighter and whiter...

Any help would be appreciated =) thx
    Last edited by chopchop; 02-15-2004 at 01:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    1. The wiper arm is a "hook arm". Lift the arm up, so it supports itself. Rotate the blade, and look inside the hook for a tab. Squeeze tab and remove blade. (wiper blades tend to give you instructions)

2. Haven't done this...I'm sure someone has.

3. Yes. You have to be careful with the high temp spray paint. Folia Tec makes a kit for this. Follow their instructions carefully

4. Haven't done it on the 04's. Been posted before....or try reading your owner's manual. Useful info in there.

Re: Need help with simple mods~

Originally posted by chopchop
    4.) Since I am total newbie to car parts, can anyone tell me how to change the head light blubs? Cuz I was thinking of getting xeon lights for it so it will be brighter and whiter...

This is pretty easy and the instruction manual doesn't tell you crap on how to do it. First thing, there is a black cap you have to screw off. It is like a 1/4 turn and then you can pop it out. Mind you it is a PITA to put back on . You'll have the rear of the bulbs exposed. Push on the sping metal retainer and unhook it. It is made out of like a thick metal wire. Once you do that, you can slide the bulb out. They are H1 bulbs. Unhook the positive wire connected to the bulb. Put in the new bulb (Be sure not to touch the bulb at all, only touch the rear metal part of the bulb)and reclip the metal retainer back on securing the new bulb. Connect the positive wire onto the new bulb. Finally, secure the black plastic cap back over the assembly. Make sure you have that cap on properly otherwise it will leak and you can say Bye-Bye to all of your bulbs. The only problem with doing a headlight replacement is space, epsecially on the drivers side. Unless you remove the battery, you have almost 0 space to work in. You can do it, it's just cramp. The passenger side is easiest if you remove the factory ram scoop for the air box. If this sounds tough, wait till you do the Fog lights . It foud it easier to change my oil than it is to do these bulbs. Matter of fact, wait to do the fogs till you DO change your oil, you have to remove all of the bottom pans and jack the car up to do them. Fog lights are an H3 bulb. Hope this helps

--Jay--
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 02-23-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Hi, I am driving a 04 WRB WRX and I need some help with few mods. If anyone could, I would really appreciate it, thanks~

1.) Has anyone changed their wiper blades? I saw some white/blue or other colors wiper blade for sale, but I just looked at the wiper blades of my 04 WRX, it doesn't have any screw on it, so how can i change the whole blade?

2.) I also want to get a mesh for the back of the front license plate so it will look nicer. Is it possible to do it? because I just looked at the mesh on the grill and it looks like there are locks that holds the mesh. Any suggestion or help?

3.) Is it easy to spray paint the brake calipers of the car? I was thinking of getting them red but is it better to take it outside to a shop or it can be done easily at home?

1) See Tan's post about the wiper blades.

2) You can purchase a Grillcraft grill, which will set you back tons of money, or make your own. Try HomeDepot or other hardware stores for rain gutter covers. They normally are big enough, are a good mesh shape, and come weather proof.

3) Check autoparts stores or SherwinWilliams for some kind of high temp paint. Also, do yourself a favor and take the calipers off of the car, spray the paint into a can at a safe distance from the car, then paint them with a fine brush. It'll be WAY easier in the end, and you won't end up with red paint all over your wheel wells, or spend hours masking stuff off, which you will do if you just try to spray them.

4) Check Silver bullets post on changing the bulb. This will work for any normal halogen bulb, such as Piaa Extreme Whites. If you want actual xenon bulbs, they're about $440.00 from www.importhookup.com and on the '04s they're a monster pain in the a** to install, and if you really are new to doing car stuff, you probably shouldn't do it.

It's easy enough, just make sure you do a really good job of masking off the area and get them really clean first.

Hopefully you're going to paint them a dark color. Our stock calipers aren't exactly something you want to show off.

haha thx a lot guys... but i dun think i should try painting the caliper now.. qoncept is right...the caliper doesn't look that good haha... i just got my brother to buy me the pink star front badge so i am gonna need some advice on how to get the stock one out and put the new one on, thanks a lot for all the help guys

Registered User silver_rex_4eat's Avatar

here is some advice on what i have done

3. For the calipers i did this and i am not a guy who does alot of hard mods. I bought this paint called G2. Its rated for like 900 degrees and the best part it is brushable. It comes with caliper cleaner. Then there is a reactive chemical you mix it with to activate the paint. It takes like 2 hour for them to dry so what i did was jack up the car and use jack stands and paint the front first. I only mixed half the paint and catalyst so I had half the paint left for the rear calipers. I masked everything off still and began to brush the paint on. It took a few coats to get a nice shiny almost powdercoat look to them. I painted mine blue and after running them for over a year i must say the paint has held up great. I think i got one small chip but that is it. I am impressed with the paint. I painted the back side to the calipers and i believe to do a good job spraying them you would have to remove the caliper. I would just brush it on.

As far as the front emblem goes, I bought from subaru the blue "I" for the front grill. All that holds on the emblem is sticky tape. So carefully use a small flat head screw driver and pop it off. The new emblem comes with a adhesive backing so just put the new one on.

Hope this helps alil

chris

ps if you need to see them i may have some pics of the calipers getting painted and of the finished product

Another quick note..

Make DAM sure you wipe the bulbs off with a clean wrag and dont touch em with your paws when you install em back in the buckets!

Mr. Handgrease/etc can cause the glass part of the bulb to crack and become somewhat dim, As in burnt out.

Shotgun