Painting headlight housings black

This is a discussion on Painting headlight housings black within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; A link to the proper thread will suffice! Thanks I wanna get this under way this weekend....

Painting headlight housings black

A link to the proper thread will suffice!
    Thanks I wanna get this under way this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What year?

Easy quick answer is take off bumper
    take all metal parts off of the headlights
    bake for 200 for 15min (if more time is needed I would do 5 min increments)
    Take apart lights mask anything you dont want to paint
    scuff up the plastic
    paint & let dry
    reverse reassemble

Maybe have some extra silicone sealant if you want

if you want more info search for HID retrofit and they can give more detailed info
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    What year?

Easy quick answer is take off bumper
    take all metal parts off of the headlights
    bake for 200 for 15min (if more time is needed I would do 5 min increments)
    Take apart lights mask anything you dont want to paint
    scuff up the plastic
    paint & let dry
    reverse reassemble

Maybe have some extra silicone sealant if you want

if you want more info search for HID retrofit and they can give more detailed info

1) What's a good paint to use?
    2) Should you use clear coat?
    3) What should you use to scuff up the plastic...such as what grit sandpaper?
    4) What type of silicone should you use to reseal everything?
    5) Once the silicone is applied, do you need to keep pressure on the lens and if so, how long?

Thanks!
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blknylw View Post
    1) What's a good paint to use? - Any one you want
    2) Should you use clear coat? - I didn't I ended up using 3-5 coats of black
    3) What should you use to scuff up the plastic...such as what grit sandpaper? - I just used what I had around I think 400 doesn't need to be anything to aggressive just enough to rough up the surface. I also didnt use any adhesion promoter.
    4) What type of silicone should you use to reseal everything? - You would have to search out but I have seen people use different types. I got some extra
    Koito Butyl Rubber Sealer.
    5) Once the silicone is applied, do you need to keep pressure on the lens and if so, how long? - I didnt need to with my 12 there are a couple of tabs that clip together and then the 5 screws I just pressed them together till the fit in the channel.

Thanks!
    People should really lean how to search he forums and internet most of the time the info is available

Morimoto Xb LED Angel Eye Kit Install (2011 WRX)
    Last edited by cflip2x; 05-30-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Great, thank you!

Have you seen the guy over on NASIOC that painted his lights black, but only left the DRL/High Beam area chrome? It looks like he painted the low beam HID bezel and the orange lens on the side...did you do this?
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

I Support ClubWRX
    yup pretty much did the same thing. I was tempted to spray yellow metacast on the high beam area but left it alone. I have seen a lot of different ideas body color and other things eventually i plan on a quad retrofit but not in any rush for that.

you can search this for some other ideas. I ended up getting all my stuff from them for the retro fit (minus the paint) since it was close to my work. They gave me some helpful tips most of which others have already covered in other posts.

LIGHTWERKZ HID Projector Retrofits, Angel Eyes, Painting, HID Systems, Technical Support, & More!!

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX